waggles

Members
  • Content count

    6
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About waggles

  • Rank
    Passenger Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
  • Interests
    Sailing, Aviating
  1. In response to a query from "mocfly" I am posting the following photos of how we overcame cooling issues with the MC original cowl design. The idea was to ensure a low pressure area existed at the cowl air outlets, which by the way were prone to receiving positive pressure because they were angled somewhat into the airflow. The added flaps created the required low pressure area. These mods were not approved by Flight Design but they did know we were adding the cowl flaps in an effort to overcome cooling issues. Flight Design have since reshaped the MC cowl to obtain adequate cooling in warm climates. In fact FD sent a technician to Australia from Germany to evaluate what we did. You cannot complain about that sort of service!
  2. Have you moulded up to make these? Are you taking orders? ,would you be able to supply a template to cut the holes in the lower cowl for precise fitting. Looks like this will solve my problem. Bruce - I apologize for not answering this earlier... something to do with getting older and living in Southern Latitudes I guess. Yes I have a mould... and no I don't intend supplying them as FD should come to the game on this as it appears to be a common problem and it is to do with design. They are relatively cheap to make and fitting is simple. No changes are required to the existing cowling outlets... the vents fit right into the existing openings. PM me if you really want a pair for the MC... but I am not a qualified supplier in the US so I cannot take responsibility for what you fit to your aircraft. Waggles.
  3. I recently had to remove the wings for the 200 hr inspection procedure, so decided to fix the useless and unreadable Fuel Sight Gauges (Plastic Tubes) once and for all. I purchased 2 Stock "Jabiru" Fuel Sight Gauges. Slight modification is required in that one end of the Jabiru Gauge requires the hose-tail cutting off, tapping a thread and installing a plug with sealant. If doing a second time I would mount the Gauge up the other way as the lower section always has fuel in it that is below the "Empty" reading. The bracket is fabricated from 3 mm (1/8") thick plastic using a heat gun and wooden blocks for shaping. Two Rivnuts are installed in the upper sidewall and a 1/2" hole drilled above the "viewing cut-out" so that it is horizontal from the top supply tube - see photo "ready for installation". The wing root cover plate requires removal and the two original hose-tails (3/8"X 1/8" NPT) removed and replaced with 1/4" hose-tails X 1/8" NPT fittings - see photos "Cover Plate". That's the original hose-tail beside the wing root cover plates. Because of dihedral only the lower half of the tank contents can be indicated... but they are the figures that keep you alive anyway. Each tank requires calibrating to find relative levels on the new Gauge for each wing. No more "brown and unreadable" Fuel Sight Gauges! The fuel quantity in the photo is showing 22 litres and is readily readable from either seat.
  4. Somewhere on this Forum I found a description of plastic storage pockets I had made for either side of the centre instrument panel on my CTLS... only I can't find that link. I have replaced the door pockets with plastic pockets (see photos) that are just great for holding charts etc, they are formed from 3mm (1/8th) clear sheet and use many of the mounting fixtures (rivnuts) used by the fabric pockets that are supplied standard from FD Germany. The only thing to watch out for when fitting extra rivnuts is that you don't foul the door latching mechanism. I use "Zulu" headsets and the problem was what to do with the control pods... so I added a centre plastic book storage and on the front of it we have the control units for the Zulu. They are held in place by a rubber band of suitable proportions. Hope you can all get the idea from the attached photos. Waggles. PS... Sorry about the double image but couldn't figure out how to remove one!
  5. I posted this on another CT Forum site and thought it should also appear here. The first MC delivered to Australia had serious cooling problems... it was always running in the yellow arc or higher no matter what we did with airspeed. We fixed the problem by making infused resin carbon fibre cowl flaps (see photos). The problem comes about because under most flight attitudes the cowling is "pressurized" because the hole for the exhaust and the cooling air outlets are inclined to the relative airflow. With these flaps fitted it ensures negative pressure in this area and good cooling airflow. No more problems!
  6. I wondered where you went to Roger.... now I have found you again thanks to Tim getting in contact. It's great to be back amongst friends! Waggles.