flying without ap in a ctsw

theskunk

Hi,

I'm looking at possibly owning a CTSW and the ones i've found do not appear to have autopilot -- i've wondered what the masses can tell me about piloting one of these on a 3-4 hour cross country w/o an AP. If it is a big deal, how hard is it to add one to a ctsw with a d100/d120 flight deck?

Thanks!

Hi Skunk,

The CT's all have a three axis trim so flying long trips without an autopilot is not a problem at all. I have done many trips in SW's without an autopilot and they trim out well, of course if it's bumpy out your going to be working a little harder and will be a little more tired after 4-5 hours. I do love having an autopilot though as it can relive a lot of workload during a trip. The Tru Track is a fairly easy addition to the CTSW as they have brackets and pushrods already made up for the airframe. There may need to be some composite work done internal for the pitch servo mounting area, but again should not be a huge issue for a qualified shop.

Hi,

I'm looking at possibly owning a CTSW and the ones i've found do not appear to have autopilot -- i've wondered what the masses can tell me about piloting one of these on a 3-4 hour cross country w/o an AP. If it is a big deal, how hard is it to add one to a ctsw with a d100/d120 flight deck?

Thanks!

I have a CTSW for sale with the Tru Trak ADI pilot II. Check out the for sale section on the board here. Tom

'agree with Eric... AP is nice, but not necessary... 'flown a few 750 mile days without one, without a hitch. Sure, they're nice, but not a deal breaker.

Tim

PS... :P but we'd sure like it if Roger would get one, so when we follow him on group flights, we could avoid the up/down weaving through the sky! ^_^

Thanks for all of the feedback -- It sounds like this isn't a complete deal-breaker for me as I had assumed it would be. I'm still a bit concerned by it, but I guess only time will tell.

wlfpckrs - it is indeed your plane :) I've been trying to get up with Mark but between weather (windy today!) and my work (80% travel for a living) timing just doesn't seem to work out -- if only NCSU would have a home game it might be here on the weekend ;)

Im planning to finish up my sport license down at ktta with the allegro -- any idea on how hard my transition will be to the ctsw? I'm still trying to find one that i can do an insurance check-ride in -- the one i had located was dropped by the insurance company for flight training purposes.

Thanks for all of the feedback -- It sounds like this isn't a complete deal-breaker for me as I had assumed it would be. I'm still a bit concerned by it, but I guess only time will tell.

wlfpckrs - it is indeed your plane :) I've been trying to get up with Mark but between weather (windy today!) and my work (80% travel for a living) timing just doesn't seem to work out -- if only NCSU would have a home game it might be here on the weekend ;)

Im planning to finish up my sport license down at ktta with the allegro -- any idea on how hard my transition will be to the ctsw? I'm still trying to find one that i can do an insurance check-ride in -- the one i had located was dropped by the insurance company for flight training purposes.

Have no fear. Next weekend's game is in Raleigh. I'll take the plane for an 1100-hour inspection on Monday or Tuesday next week, but it should be back by later in the week. I trained in the Allegro and transitioned to the CTsw myself. The biggest challenge for me, since the Allegro was all that I had ever flown, was transitioning from a left-hand throttle and right-hand stick, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I believe Flight Design and/or insurance requires at least 3 hours (unless that has changed) in the CTsw. I went to Sebring to do my CTsw training. The people in Chesapeake, VA (Chesapeake Aviation) could probably help you, too.

I'll be glad to speak with you anytime about the plane, the co-ownership agreement, etc. I can't put into words how much we love this plane.

Don

Cell 919-662-6360

I flew our CTSW from CA to MA without an AP. It can be tiring, but trim helps a lot. I flew two hops each day, 2 to 2.5 hr.I elected to add the AP before flying west to OR again.As coppercity noted, some composite stiffening was needed under pilots seat for pitch servo, and in tunnel where rollservo bracket mounts. Also, to my dismay, an LOA was required. I forget the total installed cost but could dig it upif you need it. It was similar to the factory option price.

• 3 months later...

The majority of the time I fly w/o the AP. Love to just trim it up and fly hands off.

There is a 06 CT for sale, sitting in Tad Olmstead's shop in Sebring, Fl. You ought to pay a visit and see. Not to mention its warm and a great place to have maintenance done on whatever you buy.His phone is 863-446-3001

Archived