Following "from" radial using a Garmin 296

Lindenberg

Is it possible to follow a "from" VOR radial using a Garmin 296? The CTSW I will be taking lessons in has a 296. When flying over LAX one of the routes I would like to fly requires following the 128 radial from the Santa Monica VOR. The 296 manual doesn't discuss how to do this. I have figured out how to fly directly to a VOR or have a series of VORs in a route. If I can figure out the "from" part I can have the auto pilot keep me right on course.

Thanks,

Tom

I don't think there is any way to fly outbound on the 128 radial from a vor with the Garmin 296. If you are going to fly that radial it is going to lead you to someplace like an intersection or some other place which you should be able to set into the 296 as a goto. Or you can program the unit to fly the route ahead of time and when passing the vor it will switch to the next way point. But that 128 radial is still going to lead you to a defined waypoint of some kind.

In the event that the 128 radial is going to take you to a place that is not in the data base like maybe grandma's house, then you could set in grandma's house as a user waypoint by setting in the Lat Long and then access it for a goto when you pass the vor.

Larry

flying Bozo

Interesting question. I took my private pilot checkride in my CTSW without a VOR receiver. One of the checkride tests was following an inbound radial which wasn't particularly difficult. I have a Lowrance Airmap 2000c connected to my Dynon D100 and when the Airmap is programmed to navigate, I get a compass needle with an offset on the D100 nav window. I'm thinking I could fly with the needle and offset backwards from normal to track the radial outbound. I'll have to try it sometime.

I think I can guarantee that your autopilot can't do it for you.

Lindenberg:

Tom,

There were some Lorans that would continue to track outbound on a radial after crossing over a VOR station (identified by Loran position) and further they would allow you to fly to an outbound radial as shown on the loran screen, and then once on that radial continue to track outbound on it.

The Garmin 296 as far as I know will not let you do that. The only way that I can track outbound on a specific radial from a VOR position that is identified by GPS with the 296 is to set a destination that is somewhere on that outbound radial and track direct to it with a goto. Since it lies on the outbound radial that you desire to fly you of course will track that specific radial. You could set that position in with Lat-Long and track to it as I mentioned in the earlier post.

Autopilot was mentioned in one of the replys but no particular brand of autopilot was named. With the Tru Track you can actually fly a course that you can read in the Tru Track instrument window as being the course that you want. As soon as you pass the VOR maneuver the plane until the track number in the Tru Track window reads the degrees of the outbound course that you desire and push the track button on the Tru Track. You should be very close to tracking the desired outbound course. The autopilot will continue to track that course that the GPS is telling it without any go to destination set into the 296. The autopilot is simply keeping the airplane on the desired track set into it that the GPS says it is tracking. Notice however that the autopilot is the device doing the course tracking. It is just robotically following a number that the GPS is sending to it and correcting if the GPS says that it is tracking slightly different than that number.

One note on the above, all VOR radials are magnetic and the tracking on the GPS is also magnetic so there should be no corrections for variations to allow for.

This is getting hard to put into words but I hope this sheds some light on your question.

Larry Minch

Flying Bozo 11/12/11

• 1 year later...

With the VOR selected, couldn't you say go "TO" the VOR, but then keep the pointer on the reciprocal bearing (308º), but on the tail?

Or let me check my 496 manual and see if there's another method (I know there is on a 430).

In GPS, VOR location is really nothing but a lat/long coordinate.

With the Garmin 296, is it possible to plot another coordinate from the VOR (coordinate) by using a bearing and distance from it? This technique is commonly referred to as "place/bearing/distance."

Once the 2nd coordinate is plotted, connect the two points (VOR and 2nd coordinate) to provide the course between (radial outbound from the original point).

Just trying to help.

Nothing in the 496 manual either.

As others have said or implied, from over the VOR you could zoom out, then drag the cursor to a distant point in the right general direction, and the 296 will show you bearing and distance from your present position. Scroll until you have a distant point on a bearing of 128°, create a waypoint and name it R128 and make a flight plan that goes from the VOR to R128, and just follow the magenta line. I think.

I still like my "bearing off the tail" idea - brings back "fond" memories of NDB outbound tracking!

If I get to the hangar later, I may try playing around with my 496 and record it if I can get it to work without being over the VOR.

Did get to the hangar and found a solution.

Sounds a bit long and convoluted, but it its a radial you use all the time, you just have to do it once.

1) Hit menu twice and select "GPS" from the menus on the left.

2) Scroll to "Start Simulator" and select.

3) Scroll to "New Location" and choose the VOR you wish to use, either by identifier or using the map.

4) Your simulated plane is now over the VOR (I used HRS)

5) Zoom out and move the cursor in the direction of the radial you want - the course will show. I used 128º at around 120 miles.

6) Make a new waypoint there - I think you press and hold the "Enter" key. I named the new waypoint R128.

7) Choose "Direct To" and choose your new waypoint. This becomes your "Active Route".

8) Hit "Menu" and select "Add Waypoint".

9) Select the VOR.

10) Hit "Menu" and select "Invert". This will give you a Route called, in my case, "HRS-R128".

11) You now have a Flight Plan with that name you can call up anytime and navigate along the magenta line extending out from the VOR on a magnetic bearing of 128º.

9069157383_e77073310e.jpg

See if this series of photos works:

Archived