new alert service bulletin

sandpiper

I checked this out. Doesn't affect my 2006 CT. Looks like newer engines are affected. I didn't read the complete SB since it didn't apply to me. Not sure how much, if any, of the cost for the crankshaft checking and possible replacement will be covered by Rotax. I would hope they would cover ALL expenses. This appears to be totally due to improper manufacture of the crank. Plus, I'm wondering how long the airplane will be grounded and if there will be sufficient parts available on a timely basis to support this!

It looks like there are quite a few engines effected mostly newer ones after 09' as far as I can tell from the serial number. Not many CTs thou I guess. They want you to inspect the crankshaft and do a dye penetrant test to verify no cracks behind the drive gear. I would assume your looking in the area of about 2.5 hrs to accomplish counting the NDT and according to there parts list about 15$ in parts so the guys that do fall under this arent going to get hit to hard, mostly labor. Now if you happen to have a cracked crankshaft then thats a different story. From my experience with Rotax and there warranty policy Im sure they will cover 100% of the cost if the crank needs to be replaced even if the engine is outside of the warranty period. As far as complying with the SB your on your own as far as cost goes.

Jim and others. As far as keeping track of SB's such as this, I have a separate spreadsheets which lists ALL SB's pertaining to my plane, engine, avionics and prop. These spreadsheets contain all SB's published and shows the disposition for them. This one will be logged on the spreadsheet as N.R. due to it not affecting me.

I re-read SB-ASTM-CTSW-04 and see that this requies one to make a log entry indicating the disposition of this service bulletin. FD instructs us to make a log entry that states we have inspected our airplane I.A.W. Rotax SB-912-059UL and "no action is required" (providing the engine serial number is not on the affected list).

Archived