Longest Leg

207WF

Just curious - not counting those extended range tank guys who went around the world -- how long are the legs we actually fly in these birds. Looking through my logs, most of my longer cross-country legs are in the 3-4 hour range, with several above 4 hours, and my max leg so far is 5.2 hours. WF

I just flew from Iowa City to Denver (Centennial) with a stop at Kearney, NE. 618 nm. Pretty easy trip but I have to do something about the seat - it is not comfortable for that long. And, I have to do something so I can rest my feet when on A/P.

I saw a local CTSW where the pilot put wing walk material down in strips on the floor so that one's heels have something to hold on to when one moves one's feet back from the pedals. Looks like a nice idea and I have some of that stuff at home that I just haven't gotten around to using. I'd also like to be able to put a more permanent block on the floor for the same purpose, but of course one has to be careful and not restrict access to the rudders or impede rudder movement so this is a serious endeavor.

About the seat, I wonder if padding really makes any difference or if I need a totally different seat? I've seen the discussion on memory foam and for the money will probably try one, but have to admit I'm a bit skeptical that it will be the full solution.

I'm also wondering what I can do for more cockpit storage and organization so that one can retrieve items. That probably simply requires some concentrated thought and imagination. Most of my flying is solo and I kind of "spread out", but even then I worry about things sliding off the passenger seat into the rudder pedals. I think I need to fabricate a carrier that can be restrained by the seat belts and hold items more securely. That still doesn't deal with organization and storage when both seats are occupied. "Here, you hold this" only goes so far.

Mike,

For the Whitehorse to Prince George trip, was this in a U.S registered CT? If it was, just curious if you had any problems getting the S-LSA into Canada and if you needed a medical to do it.

No, it was an AA5 with long range tanks. I had a valid medical. COPA (Canadian version of AOPA) says you need a valid medical. I have a Commercial License but no longer have a valid medical. I may test the system with my buddy (who has a valid medical) this spring with a trip up to BC.

Ernie

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

522NM from Brownsville, TX to Cancun MX. Longest leg in 89WD.

according to google earth that flight covers 650 nm in a straight line... and you flew over the gulf of mexico? had all the necessary equipment with you? if so, my respect!

according to google earth that flight covers 650 nm in a straight line... and you flew over the gulf of mexico? had all the necessary equipment with you? if so, my respect!

How much fuel was in the tanks when you landed?

My Bad...I looked back on the books and it was 651NM, yes all necessary equipment (legal) including a SPOT. This is the trip when I continued down to Jamaica via the Caymans. Then back to Cancun then to Miami then back home to the Tetons! The trip was featured in the May issue of AOPA. I had a 160 knts on the ground (ocean) at 7500' 5200RPM setting. I beleive I took on 26 gallons in Cancun. I'm pretty sure out of 75 aircraft on that GA ramp, I was the only piston airplane. I had a deversion plan for Tampico if the winds were different than forcast. Fun Trip. Now I need to go back to Jamaica and continue to make the journey north to the Bahamas. I went to the Bahamas the winter before, from the Grand to Long Island. Now just need to connect those 2 points. Any takers?

• 5 weeks later...

John,

My flight was in a CT. According to the attached documentthe Canadians now accept US registered LSAs (and E-LSAs, which answers my ownquestion on another thread).

I don't know their position on medicals.

Mike

Permission to fly LSA in Canada - standardised_validation1.doc

We still can't fly into Canada on a Sport Certificate, can we?

Archived