Winter flying

Al Downs

Winter is now here in Wisconsin and flying is starting to feel more like snowmobiling. The cold air comes in through all the holes in the top of the cabin. Like around the pins and the fuel site tubes. Anyplace there is a hole.

It would be great in the summer if these air leaks could provide a cool breeze, but that doesn't happen.

Anyone have a good solution for stopping all of the air leaks.

Thanks

Al Downs

I replaced my left door seal, C9993189T at the annual. The new one is fatter rubber than the worn 2006 factory part.

So fat that I had trouble closing and latching the door at first. After leaving it latched several weeks, I can close the

door normally. I had to keep the latch pins lubed very well during the breakin period.

So, if you have persistent door leaks that supplemental tape doesn't fix, try a new door gasket.

Sorry don't have price , I think I got 4m of the material.

I use double sided tape placed around the various holes in the cockpit, then apply transparent window sealing material, apply heat with a blow dryer, trim the excess material and you have a perfect sealed window. Works very well and is easy to do with a bit of practice.

One thing about the transparent tape, based on personal experience. When the fuel gets low and you are really checking the fuel in the sight gauges, the transparent tape and maybe yellowed sight gauge can make it hard to read. I have reached up and removed the clear plastic in order to get a more accurate visual reading of the fuel level.

Dick, that should be possible, the only caution might be that the transparent film is so flimsy it would be hard to cut to the right size and tape down. With the double side you can slap an oversized piece on, shrink and then trim.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I some of the holes with the storm window film today. It went pretty easy but the rest of the holes are around tubes etc. so I think I might try some of that putty that is used hold things in place. It comes off easy when you want it off. Of course it won't look good because the only stuff I know of is blue. Do you think a latex caulk would be ok? I was thinking of using that around the tube that holds the sun visors and around the short tubes used to grab onto when getting in and out. The long narrow gaps in various places with probably need package tape or duct tape. Duct tape will stick better but I am concerned about removing it in the spring.

The weather is supposed to be better tomorrow so maybe I can take it up and determine where the rest of the leaks are coming from.

Someone suggested putting foam in the holes behind the seats. I looked but could not see what they meant. Was that refering to a CTSW? Mine is a CTLS.

Thanks again for all the help. I will post my results later.

Al

Al,

For holes around tubes, and other gaps that are not easily covered with tape, I use open cell foam rubber (the kind used to seal gaps around air conditioners) cut to make a snug push fit. No caulk, no residue. When sized correctly, it will plug gaps and it's own springiness will keep it in place.

Fred

• 1 month later...

Archived