AZIMUT270 The book just released !

Yannick B

A friendship, a shared dream, a handshake, three years preparation for a great aeronautical and human adventure, as a tribute to the pioneers of Swiss aviation. Azimut270 is a direction. But above all it is a proof that with willpower and a bit of hard work we can realise our wildest dreams.

Relive the fabulous odyssey around the World of Azimut270 crew. Stories, pictures, ins and outs of the adventure !!

More info and online order at : http://www.azimut270.ch/en/en/book.html

post-423-0-43930400-1323234846_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the book a couple days ago. Highly recommended to CT pilots. I read every word. A couple of highlights for me were the descriptions of the legs between West Africa and Brazil - 15 hours, 26 minutes flight time. -1737 Nautical Miles. The leg between Oakland and Maui was 2062 Nautical Miles and 16 hours, 33 minutes. They each had 110 gallons total fuel. At five gallons / hour they had 22 hours flight time according to my calculations. So flying to Maui from the mainland is a cake walk. Just kidding. At 6 pounds per gallon, that's 660 pounds of gas. They were overweight by 330 pounds at full fuel. I thought it was interesting how they tested overload flying: They did test flight with "progressive overloads." It the book they said that the airplane carried its weight in fuel. A slight embellishment, but that's an interesting concept.

They spent most of the 232 hours of flight time at 4,000.' One thing I didn't quite understand. It seems that they flew IFR at times. Can anybody explain that?

I say "great job, boys!"

Interesting comment about majority of flight at 4000'.

I have come to a similar conclusion that (not factoring wind) the optimum altitude to fly the CT (in terms of engine performance) is around 3000 to 5000'. That is where my CT gives me the best speeds relative to power settings.

Thanks for the good comments about the book !

To answer some question :

Our CTLS's were not IFR certified and all our flight plans were filed VFR. In some countries (where general aviation is almost inexistent) we were treated as IFR traffic and it was simpler for us to accept that as the weather was fine than try to explain what VFR is ! Some countries like India and in the Middle East only accept you if you follow an airway which is also okay even in VFR. In Morocco and Senegal we had to ask to continue/depart IFR in order to avoid huge delay and being stopped, again weather was ok and we were reasonably happy to do so.

We spend the majority of flight at 4’000 feet for 3 reasons : It was the optimum altitude especially when overloaded which was the case on most of the sectors. To avoid headwinds (and take advantage of low altitude easterly trade winds over the Pacific) as we were flying westwards against the prevailing high altitude winds. Last but not least to better enjoy the incredible scenery we flew over !

Yannick

Great book! Enjoyed it very much. What an adventure! Shows what can be done when you put your mind, heart and talent into it! And a great airplane!

Maybe you guys could visit the CT fly in at Page AZ some time and speak to the group. You don't have to fly the CTs all that way again, we could pick you up in Vegas!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Eric for the good comments.

I would love to join the next CT Fly-in (especially when I see the incredible pictures taken over Monument Valley) and speak more about our increadible round the world adventure but unfortunately it won't be possible this year, maybee in the future...

Best regards,

Yannick

• 2 months later...

Yannick,

Do you know about the group "EarthRounders(.com)"??? I just heard about it in another post here on the forum. I didn't see your flights mentioned in the round-the-world database of flights (nor the Indian Air Force flight).

It would be a good place to promote your book... they have the books of other EarthRounders.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Good day Tim,

Thanks for your mail, yes I am aware of the Earthrounders web site, very useful for anyone planning to fly around the world or just get inspired :-)

Azimut270 book can be found there with other very good adventure books :

http://www.earthrounders.com/cgi/books.php

I also see us listed in the database under single engine year 2010...

Best regards,

Yannick Bovier

Yannick,

Do you know about the group "EarthRounders(.com)"??? I just heard about it in another post here on the forum. I didn't see your flights mentioned in the round-the-world database of flights (nor the Indian Air Force flight).

It would be a good place to promote your book... they have the books of other EarthRounders.

Tim

I was hoping Yannick was going to be a the earthrounders reunion. Was disappointed when he wasn't but still got some great info for my trip!!

Archived