Ipad question

kentuckynet

Absolutely. You can use something like Foreflight. It overlays your plane on top of the updated sectional, shows airport diagrams, weather, winds aloft, comm info, airport comments, ect...

It even has a scratch pad you can write info with your finger.

Who would'a thunk!

Yes. However, the quality of the GPS varies by specific iPad model. Many pilots use an external GPS unit to improve the accuracy of the positioning. The "Bad Elf" external GPS plugs into the device and the Dual external GPS unit has a bluetooth connection. Each is about $100.

As Roger noted, an app that has sectional charts is needed. Most have lots of other aviation information.

Yes. However, the quality of the GPS varies by specific iPad model. .

I think the main issue is that only the 3G models have GPS at all.

There may be a quality difference between the GPS in the iPad and the iPad 2, but I don"t remember having heard that.

I keep .pdf versions of my POH and AMM on my iPad. If you fly a lot, something like Foreflight or WingX Pro would be a nice addition. Sectionals are still available for free online, but it takes an extra step or two to convert them to pdf's and to get them into iBooks.

One nice thing about 3G service is that no contract is required. You can buy individual months for when you travel, though you have to remember to cancel. DAMHIK!

Been using my iPad 1 3G with Foreflight for about 18 months and the GPS appears to be as accurate as my Garmin 496 for x-country purposes. According to Foreflight, the external GPS' are more accurate which is highly desirable for the approach plates. For VFR-only, I wouldn't want the extra piece of hardware (external GPS). I have the iPad+Foreflight for two primary reasons: current charts and a backup for my 496. The GPS also is convenient for keeping track of where you are on the sectional and it, in effect, automatically turns the pages for you.

I figure the iPad with ForeFlilght pays for itself vice the price of paper charts in 2 years. This is individual, of course. Your payback period may be longer or shorter. I use it and like it. Battery life with the GPS keeping you updated is about 5 hours. I run mine down to about 50% and then plug it in to the cigar lighter outlet (mine is the German size, whick is just enough larger than the US that the US insert is loose enough to sometimes lose the connection.).

Before a long trip, I set up a flight plan (but don't file it). I also pick a number of airports that might be stops or alternates and load them in "favorites". Then they're very readily available to check weather enroute.

I'm still learning how to use mine well. I see one can change or modify the route but I don't have that mastered yet.

I use the ipad with ForeFlight for my main pre-flight planning now. I have the Cell data plan. I like that it keeps the briefs cached

so you can access them in flight when Cell and Wifi is off. Just don't select Airplane mode, that turns off the GPS !

Ipad is a secondary backup, my primary nav is still GPS396 and nav radio, and paper charts.

Approach charts on ForeFlight are nice too.

Actually talking with a briefer is the only legal evidence you have briefed for TFR's. Duat/Duats through the ipad

or the web is not legal evidence. (from an Faa lawyer talking at a seminar once.)

About editing a flight plan - on the map page, tap and drag as you desire. Then drop down the nav log from the top of the

screen, and tap Send To: File & Brief from that menu. You get a new , updated flight plan.

However, had you tapped File & Brief icon at the bottom of the screen, you just get back to the original plan.

I'm still looking for a strap and clamp that I like in flight. Right now, the ipad mostly lives in the

right side map pocket in the CTSW. I also have a Kensington cover with keyboard that helps with

data entry; I'm a fast touch typist and the on screen keyboard feels wrong. Also, the Kensington

cover has no magnets. The apple docs said they had magnets. Strange, as the ipad has a compass

as does the airplane.

I have both Foreflight and Garmin use an iPad 2 with the dual external gps. They are similar programs and both work great. In my opinion Garmin does a nicer job on the weather and the safe taxi diagrams with georeferenced position are great. I was tired of lugging 35 lbs of paper which about 75 % always seemed out of date. These paid for themselves on one trip where I would buy a bunch of charts to keep current now it is good for the year. You have to forgetabout the iPad purchase price. I use my android phone hotspot if I do not have a wifi works very well.

I use my ipad with a Ram holder with a suction cup on my door window. It works great as you can sweep your instruments back and forth without having to look down. Place it behind the vent near you and it will not block your view from anything including auto pilot.

Gary

The nice thing with the suction ram mount is you can choose the location on the side window that works for you. It's as easy as releasing the suction cup and re-setting it to the new location. I don't have it in place during takeoffs or landings unless I'm practicing instrument approaches.

Tip, I ordered it online from RAM mounts. They have several styles. This one works for me, I fly with bifocals and can see it better in this location. Never tried the suction mount on the window, it may be just as good but this one stays in place all the time. I have only removed it for the annual.

• 7 months later...

Not at all.

There is a separate lever on the device you can tighten to adjust the position of the iPad once it is secured to the surface (in my plane the pilot's side window). Make sure that lever is tight. Then, no wiggle. :D

• 3 months later...

I am torn between pulling the trigger on the smaller Ipad mini, versus just using an Iphone for all the same in cockpit stuff. It seems like the phone would be less likely to get in the way. With my glasses, I can see small stuff ok. Any suggestions as to which way to go? WF

It's my experience that it takes longer to focus on the small stuff. That results in less time for safety of flight scanning for traffic. Add a little turbulance and the iphone may be even more difficult to see. It's comes down to what you are comfortable with but I would go with the Ipad.

Archived