Buying a new CTLS

CTLS JVE

The 3/8" thin wall poly vinyl tubing that was originally on the CT's works just fine. It's inexpensive and easy to come by. It doesn't kink provided you use the correct length and it's easy to put on. I have not had any kinking issues. Do not use the thick walled 3/8" unless you get bigger clamps, like pushing real hard to get over fittings and it's not necessary. The tubing won't kink so long as you don't make it too long. All tubing will eventually get hard and discolor with 91 Oct. Two years is a good time limit for the poly vinyl. You change oil and plugs a lot more than that so why worry about a 2 year $1.50 worth of tubing. It can be changed with the wings on and the clear poly vinyl gives the best fuel view. There is no fuel flow through the tubes, it only shows a static level. I believe that simple is better in this situation.

Here is a picture of a Jabiru fuel sight gauge which has been modified by the owner to fit the CTLS. It indicates the last 30L (8 US gallons) and being glass, it forever solves the problem of stained sight gauges.

Not an option for LSA registration without factory approval, however maybe FD will take note and eventually do something similar.

Dave

post-51-0-87775300-1324418998_thumb.jpg

Where did you get the picture of the Jabiru sight gauge? It looks like something I could do next wing inspection time. Is it a nuisance to deal with when one pulls the wings?

Jim...I guess your airplane must be on the 'experimental' register if you plan to do this. I have sent you a P.M. and can email you a series of photos to show you how it was done.

Dave

• 1 month later...

HI JVE,

I just wanted to add my impressions to these guys who have had CT aircraft for many years more than me. I have owned my CTLS for 18 months and have never regretted the purchase. I use nothing by 91 octane except when beyond range of my fuel source. If I have to use 100LL I always add an additive called TCP which somehow captures the lead in the gas. I've heard that 100LL actually has about 11 times the lead of 91 octane. TCP isn't cheap. I paid $32 for a quart but you only use one ounce for 10 gallons of gas. Point is, you can go 50 hours between oil changes with 91 octane, only 25 hours with predominant use of 100LL.

I also use nothing by Mobil1 4T oil. This is a motorcycle racing oil and has additives that regular Mobil1 does not. Anyway, Rotax likes it.

Expect some transition time from a C172 to a CTLS. I've said on this forum before that I really felt comfortable after about 50 hours. It was a combination of transitioning from round guages to an integrated flat screen, and flying a plane that is much "slicker" than anything I had flown before aside from sailplanes. That is to say, airspeed management is somewhat more critical.

I don't know how cold it gets in Raleigh but I had been told that if you are starting at 30 degrees or less, pre-heat the engine. It will start, of course, below that temperature but it's harder on the engine. Invest a few hundred bucks more on a Reiff engine pre-heater. This is a block of metal epoxied to the bottom of the engine and a small metal band that fits around the oil reservoir. Just plug it in via the oil access door and avoid unnecessary wear on your engine, and your engine oil will warm much faster after start-up.

All this said, you will love the airplane. Read the December 2011 issue of the AOPA Pilot for very nice article on the CTLS. It's fun, fast, very economical and has a HUGE range. Please post some of your impressions after you make your purchase.

One final thing, this website has some of the nicest, most knowledgeable people you can imagine with a great deal of experience with this aircraft. Use the resource. I've learned so much about my aircraft by reading these various posts. And, they are most kind about answering questions. Best of luck!!

Thanks Ron . I read the forum almost every day, is a great way to know more about the CTLS .Looks like all owners are very happy with the airplanes and is a capable airplane for cross country . Will let you know when I buy the airplane maybe at Sun and Fun .

Jesus V. Esteller RHI JVE,

I just wanted to add my impressions to these guys who have had CT aircraft for many years more than me. I have owned my CTLS for 18 months and have never regretted the purchase. I use nothing by 91 octane except when beyond range of my fuel source. If I have to use 100LL I always add an additive called TCP which somehow captures the lead in the gas. I've heard that 100LL actually has about 11 times the lead of 91 octane. TCP isn't cheap. I paid $32 for a quart but you only use one ounce for 10 gallons of gas. Point is, you can go 50 hours between oil changes with 91 octane, only 25 hours with predominant use of 100LL.

I also use nothing by Mobil1 4T oil. This is a motorcycle racing oil and has additives that regular Mobil1 does not. Anyway, Rotax likes it.

Expect some transition time from a C172 to a CTLS. I've said on this forum before that I really felt comfortable after about 50 hours. It was a combination of transitioning from round guages to an integrated flat screen, and flying a plane that is much "slicker" than anything I had flown before aside from sailplanes. That is to say, airspeed management is somewhat more critical.

I don't know how cold it gets in Raleigh but I had been told that if you are starting at 30 degrees or less, pre-heat the engine. It will start, of course, below that temperature but it's harder on the engine. Invest a few hundred bucks more on a Reiff engine pre-heater. This is a block of metal epoxied to the bottom of the engine and a small metal band that fits around the oil reservoir. Just plug it in via the oil access door and avoid unnecessary wear on your engine, and your engine oil will warm much faster after start-up.

All this said, you will love the airplane. Read the December 2011 issue of the AOPA Pilot for very nice article on the CTLS. It's fun, fast, very economical and has a HUGE range. Please post some of your impressions after you make your purchase.

One final thing, this website has some of the nicest, most knowledgeable people you can imagine with a great deal of experience with this aircraft. Use the resource. I've learned so much about my aircraft by reading these various posts. And, they are most kind about answering questions. Best of luck!!

And the yellow Tygon tubing makes it hard to see the level. A few of my customers have it and don't like it and $5 says it will stain eventually too. When I talked to the tubing companies they all told me they would eventually stain because plastic is not glass and has microscopic pours. 91 Oct. has brown dye in it. I figure 2 years and just change the tubes with poly vinyl for $. 75 cents a tube. Sometimes simple is better. I just consider it a time limited part. If you put the clamps in the right way and use a small screwdriver than can be replaced with a word or two without too much trouble.

Roger,

The tygon that we used several years ago was yellow and did stain brown. Since I had to pull my wings for the 2 year,along with every thing else-firewall,5yr hose etc. I replaced the sight tubes with the tygon 4040 (think this is correct number) and will let you know how it holds up.

What did catch my attention;is the clear plastic tubing from Ace that I replaced after Page. It was brown and brittle in a very short period of time.Wonder how long it would have taken for a crack to develope next to clamp and have a fuel leak ?

Dear JVE: Congratulations! Nancy and I love our CTLS (acquired new Aug 2008) and we love it and we had a Cherokee for years. We have flown all aroung the country from our home in Pensacola--you might check out a couple of articles I wrote concerning flying Cross-Country in an LS and living with it. Actually you can carry a good del more than two small bags; Nancy and I carry enouth for up to a month away--the key is being careful about what you take and use of sofe luggage. I use auto gas exclusive around home and only use 100LL on the road. The CT handles inflight turbulence reasonably well considering it is, indeed, a light aircraft; there there are no control problems that I can see. One thing that I like to mention is that the CT is a bit different than normal GA aircraft, landings czn be tricky--just remember is is a light weight fkying machine and get a good checkout. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. See ya, Ken Nolde N840KN, 450+ hours. (kennolde@cox.net).

Hi guys , I am considering buying a new CTLS , will be moving from and old 172, how the CT compare to the Cessna in turbulence?

In cross country are you able carry 2 small bags ?

Will use only 100LL, any problem flying only in AV Gas ?

Any help

Archived