6th Annual 2012 Page, AZ. Fly-In

Roger Lee

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ron,

I'm in Puerto Penasco (aka Rocky Point) Mexico until this Friday.

We are using the FBO Classic, bring a set of tie down ropes for Monument Valley cable tied own.

Sincerely are commercial tour operations in the area and in and out of the self annoyed airport start your announcing at leat 15 miles out on your arrival day. We will talk about operations and safety items at Thursday night's dinner at the Ranch House Grill.

As far as entering routes you can call me after this Friday or have someone else help you set up routes. So long as you can follow someone you could just follow them. The routes are only general in nature and you may zigzag a lot to see sights, but if you get lost you can always punch in Page and head home or the destination of your group. Tied owns at Page are on a large well equipped ramp.

As you say, Roger, No Worries. As we've had wind chills in the low 20s for the last two days, we're really ready for this! I'll just wait until you post routes. I won't bother with a phone call, especially since you're so good at posting.

Okay here you go on the Page, AZ Fly-In flight coordinates.

I have read these, but if someone finds a little error please let me know so I can fix it. It should be good to go. Remember these are for the general flight path and you may zigzag some or a lot to see the sights.

Great summary, Roger. Makes us all the more eager to attend our first Page event.

Hi all,

Just talked to our River trip company. We can all be setup on the same boats. Probably 2 boats because we have so many people coming. Over 30 that I know of so far. Your feet will remain dry so don't worry about wet shoes unless you want to dip them in that 47F (burrrrr) water.I guess good for sore swollen feet. Make sure you have a hat, sunscreen or even a long sleeve for sun protection. If the air is cool maybe even a light jacket. There is all you want to drink on the boats. If you want a lunch they can supply one for just under $10. It includes a sandwich, chips, fruit and desert, drinks included. Since there are so many of us try to let me know about the lunch item by late Tuesday when most of you arrive so I can give them a heads up.

I'll be getting a lunch since it is a long afternoon and of course around lunch time. The boats have plenty of room and are comfy. You won't need to bring the kitchen sink just your body.

FYI for the Page pilots,

Get this. IN all their wisdom Page Airport Admins tore up the ramps to re-surface some and completely lay down new asphalt on other parts for heavier planes. I was notified by Classic FBO this last Friday. I have called the Page admin. to found out why they would do such a thing with our group coming in, not to mention not being notified. I won't say in writing what I think! :wacko:

Bottom line is we have about 46 tie down spots so we should be good, butttt there are no chains available so make sure you bring your own rope. If someone forgets we can head to the hardware store and get some if it becomes necessary.

BRING YOUR OWN ROPE TO TIE DOWN. THE ANCHORS ARE STILL IN PLACE FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD.

FYI for good stuff,

We have had meetings in the past at the hotel on Saturday afternoon for questions and answers on our planes, engines and regs.

This year we'll try something new. We will meet at the airport Saturday afternoon and I'll pull a plane up to the FBO patio and we can have a hands on show and tell maint. question and answer period. This is where we can ask specific questions about our plane's or engine right on the spot and of course cover bulletins and the like too.

FYI for more good news, (especially for Macksmile.gif)

Bullfrog Marina and Resort (U07) will be serving a regular full breakfast through Oct. 29th. We are good to go and land and they will come out in vans and pick us up and take us to the restaurant down the road. This is a great flight as we fly about 150' off the deck of Lake Powell waters through the canyons and then hop over a small hilly outcropping and right into the air strip.

Newest attendees list as of Oct. 9th: These were confirmed with the hotel reservation list

Applegate, Bill

Benson, Edward

Brame, Mack

Butcher, Jim

Carlson, Ted

Carpenter, Brian

Copeland, Greg

Corey, Bob

Covell, Tom DeJong, Ed

Deurloo, Bob

Evenson, Roger

Ferson, Wayne

Fisher, Dave

Greer, Tim

Bob Hall

Horn, John

Hull, Dave

Jeffs, Duane

Jeffs, Larry

Johnsen, John-Olav

Johnson, John

Nick Johnson

Koerner, Mike

Kreienkamp, Ron

Lee, Roger

Moliterno, Steve

McGregor, Jeremy

Olson, Darrell Cathy Page

Pfeiffer, Rick

Roberts, Russ

Sigman, Bob

Strachan, Berrie

Swenson, Darryl

Urbach, Walter

Welsch, Philip

Westmoreland, Justin

Zawodny, Jeremy

Andy Gryglewicz

***NewsFlash***

Another Scenic Loop tour will probably be available... we are currently working out the details for "The Escalante" route. Over the years, as we become more aware of the area, we've added more destinations. We're looking for places to fly to that are scenic, about an hour or so away, and has facilities for eating. Transportion also becomes an issue.

Normally we scout a location one year and, if it passes muster, add it the following year. This year, based on our knowledge of the area and recommendations from local pilots, we're adding a trip to the town of Escalante Utah. The trip starts with a flight to the NorthEast, over the Lake. At the point where there is a "Y" in the Lake, where we normally go Right to Bullfrog, we take a left. We will go up the "Escalante Arm" of the lake, and then follow the beautiful Escalante river to the town of Escalante. The Escalante river was the last river discovered in the United States! As remote as it is beautiful.

The airport (1L7) in Escalante is just a couple miles from downtown. The runway altitude is 5,700 ft, and it's 5,000 feet long, 60 ft wide... and was just resurfaced. Density altitude will be a minor factor, but nothing like Bryce at 7,500 ft.

We are working out the details for transportation in/out of town. A local pilot and business owner, Paul Bomar, is working with the mayor to get us hooked up with a van. (**update** it's a done deal!) After a quick breakfast, we'll head back to Page, probably by flying over the nearby Plateau, and visiting a very stunning geological feature of the area.

We'll cover about 165nm, in about 1.6 hours of flying time... less than 8 gallons burned (CTs).

A Map and waypoints will be posted soon.

BTW, Escalante is one of those locations that would be great for a 2-3 day "long weekend" flying adventure. There are several hotels or bed/breakfasts, and a jillion things to do/see in the area.

escalante.jpg

Looks like Page Fly-In weather will be perfect (again). :D

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Page+AZ+USAZ0152:1:US

Yay!

We were supposed to leave tomorrow morning, and may still.

But there's a lot of weather between here (N GA) and there right now. Tornadoes and the like. :mad:

It should all pass through by Monday, so we're still good to go. Looks like good weather behind it. Depending on how it moves and how early we can leave tomorrow, we may be able to make it to Holly Springs, MS (SE of Memphis) to overnight with a friend. If not, regroup for a Monday departure.

We'll keep you updated on our progress.

We were supposed to leave tomorrow morning, and may still. Depending on how it moves and how early we can leave tomorrow, we may be able to make it to Holly Springs, MS (SE of Memphis) to overnight with a friend. If not, regroup for a Monday departure.

Oh, well. Best laid plans and all that:

8085983704_b656ac267d_z.jpg

Called my friend and he said that front had "teeth" - quite a bit of wind and rain.

I don't mind a little weather, but kinda draw the line at tornados! Even ahead of the front winds at 3,000' were around 40k, which could make for a bumpy ride in a Sky Arrow.

Now we go from hoping the front slowed down to hoping it speeds up and gets through our neighborhood (where GA/TN/NC come together) ASAP!

This is CONUS for tomorrow at 8A, so it should be a go around then:

8086006168_ed3dc0f131.jpg

Hi All from the mid-Us to the east coast.

Some have called and ask the best way through to Page,AZ from the Sante Fe or Albuquerque, NM area. I have talked to some from that area and it seems going up through Farmington, NM is the lowest elevation route. It may add up to 20-30 min. to a 2.3 hr. flight. The elevation in that area is about 9'K.

I am based in Albuquerque and have flown the entire region for over 30 years. The route from Albuquerque to Farmington (KFMN) then west across the Four Corners and Monument Valley into Page presents the lowest elevations but by only a bit. The direct route from Albuquerque Double Eagle II Airport (KAEG) elevation 5834 MSL to Page with a slight midway waypoint over E91 (Chinle, AZ) looks "brown" in places on the VFR chart but in fact is a very mild route with the highest point along the route being only about 1000 feet higher than the high point on the route up through Farmington. And that "high point" occurs less than 50 miles after leaving Double Eagle as one flies over the San Mateo Plateau north of Mount Taylor. This plateau is a beautiful, rolling, partly forested area with lots of meadows and small lakes. Mild terrain. Elevation is about 9200 MSL there so I climb up to 10500 coming out of Albuquerque and cruise along. Winds permitting. This is a calm or low winds aloft route however for comfort. If there are winds aloft of more than 15 knots or so the route through Farmington might give a slighting better ride. Though any southwest or west wind aloft rolling off the Chuska and Carrizo Mountains to the southwest and west of Farmington will still make for some washboard air.

If you are going to fly in the Southwest mountains are a fact of life. You can swing wide of them or skirt the edges as easily. No need usually to go over the highest areas...diverts a bit one way or another and you usually are able to keep the terrain below at 9000MSL or lower.

The direct route to Page from Albuquerque is beautiful, the flight over the San Mateo Plateau and the south end of the Chuskas is spectacular, and the run the last 50 miles into Page is actually better ground below than what you will find in the last 50 miles into Page coming directly from Farmington.

I am leaving about 1000 or so Tuesday morning from Albuquerque for Page. Anyone flying through at that time is more than welcome to join up. A couple of other CTs are planning on coming in for breakfast and fuel Tuesday morning and we will be a three ship over to Page if all works out. More welcome!

John-Olav Johnsen

CTSW N44BZ

Double Eagle II Airport (KAEG)

Albuquerque, New Mexico

*** Don't forget while in Page, AZ ***

Because Page is very close to the Utah/Arizona border, the time on cell phones seem to jump back forth between time zones. This has caused people to be early/late for dinner or flights or tours. Be sure to watch for this issue.

Tim

*** Don't forget while in Page, AZ ***

Because Page is very close to the Utah/Arizona border, the time on cell phones seem to jump back forth between time zones. This has caused people to be early/late for dinner or flights or tours. Be sure to watch for this issue.

Tim

We're presumably using whatever "local" time in Page is then, right? Do they observe DST? It's mountain time, right?

I was wondering and looked it up:

http://www.timetemperature.com/tzaz/page.shtml

That's got the info.

Page uses Mountain Standard Time (no DST) and it GMT-7 year-round.

Jeremy

The problem is that Utah is also in MTN time, but observes DST... so Utah is one hour later. Page is close enough to the border, that cell phones sometimes pickup signals from the other side... and they automatically change the cell-phone's time. It can literally change just while walking around in the same room.

Yes, all of our times will be based on Page Time. But that means, when we takeoff for breakfast, and land at Bullfrog, Bryce, Monument Valley, or Escalante... we'll land there 1 hour later (plus flight time). And, if your phone is tracking Utah time, you'll show up for dinner an hour early. Or worse yet, wake up early and miss an hour of sleep! :angry:

Tim

Archived