Garmin 696 tips and tricks

coppercity

If you visit many of the same airports using the "direct to" feature of the 696 there is a shortcut to get to your recently used airports the 696 saves for you. Push the "direct to" button, when the "direct to" menu opens turn the knob counter clockwise a click and a recent airport list will appear. Push the knob down to select your favorite then "enter, enter".

Setting up a VNAV profile in the 696 helps plan your descent to your selected waypoint. To modify the VNAV profile easily press the "Flight Plan Button FPL" then choose VNAV from the lower multifunction button options. This will bring up the VNAV menu where you can adjust the profile. Most the time I use a 300-400fpm descent and 1000ft above the waypoint 2 miles prior to the airport. This sets up a gentle descent for the autopilot and has you at TPA prior to entering the traffic pattern. You can also set it to be 0ft above the airport if you want to practice a ILS type approach. The VNAV profile will provide a glideslope indicator on the HSI display of the 696 main screen and also pass that information to the Dynon 100 to be displayed there.

Would you have to set the way point to .3 (3/10) from the airport? Or about 1/2 the distance of a typical runnway. That way the GPS or ILS

approach wouldn't have you landing two miles away!

When I simulate the ILS I set the distance from waypoint to 0 as well.

Have you ever wanted to fly a specific course to a waypoint? It's easy using the 696. Once your waypoint has been set and your back on the map page press the "menu" button once. From the map menu select "set OBS and hold". You can then use the knob to set the course you want to the waypoint. This is a handy feature if you want to simulate an ILS to a specific runway at an airport, or if you want to track a specific radial to a VOR location.

Occasionally I find myself wanting to turn down the XM radio a little but hate going to the xm page then volume etc. I know you can just flip the aux/xm radio switch on the lower console but that also shuts off the terrain alerts. There is a shortcut to the Music, and Alert volume as well as the backlight dimming. On the top upper right hand corner of the 696 is the power button, if you push it quickly once it will bring up this shortcut menu to adjust the items mentioned above. Just toggle the knob up/down to the one you want then twist the knob to adjust. Quick, easy, and you never leave the map page.

Now and then my 696 will reset its brain along with several custom modes. One of these is the data output for the Tru Track autopilot and Dynon panels. You will notice this not only by the 696 screen but your Tru Track will display "No GPS" instead of "Trk" or "No Trk" and when you try to use the autopilot it will be in its backup roll mode instead of track mode. To fix this press the "menu" button twice on the 696, then select "system" followed by "interface". Once on the interface page select the "NMEA/VHF out/Aviation In" selection and the "Fast" option for baud rate. Press the exit button and everything should be communicating again.

Did you know the 696 can set frequencies in your Garmin SL30/40. When your on the waypoint page for an airport you can press the select knob to bring up the highlight cursor, knob up or down to the communication section on the airport data, highlight the frequency you want and press enter. This frequency will be set in the standby portion of the SL30/40 radio. This also works for any frequencies on the "nearest" function pages. Its a great shortcut for finding and setting things like nearest ARTCC to get flight following.

You must have the "VHF Out" selection in the interface mode for this to work.

Eric

At the Page flyin the Loop people had a Garmin 796. I played with it a little but not enough to learn he touch screen, seems nearly the same as 696. Do you have any experience with it, can you give any transition hints. We will need to learn soon.

Thanks

Larry

Would you have to set the way point to .3 (3/10) from the airport?

I like to always overfly any non-towered runway I'm going to land on, about 500' above the traffic pattern. Then fly out a short ways and descend to pattern altitude for a 45º downwind entry. Lets me check for wildlife on the runway, windsock, pattern traffic, that sort of thing.

So, I would set in 1,500' above the destination waypoint, or maybe choose a short distance away (2 or 3 miles) so as to be in level flight for a while to scan for other inbound traffic. The latter is how I have mine set on my 496, and how I had it set on the 430's in my Cirrus.

• 5 weeks later...

Have you ever found your "direct to" course intercepting some high terrain or airspace you don't wish to fly thru, here is an easy way to make adjustments without having to lookup intersections or airports that are to far off course. Once your Direct to waypoint has been set using the "direct to" function press the "FPL" button to open the flight plan menu. The lower left button will be a "use map" function, push this button then use the knob to push the cursor around on the map until you are near where your route needs to be changed. Put the cursor on your route course line, it will change color to white once your over it. Now press the "ENT" button to select the route. Now use the knob cursor to drag your route clear of the area you want to avoid. Once you have it moved press "ENT" again, a user waypoint will be added at this new location. You can repeat this process several times to adjust the route with more waypoints to circumnavigate a area or whatever you need. Press "Exit" then "FPL" again to go back to the main map. Now you can keep your autopilot in GPS nav mode and just enjoy the ride

Archived