600 Hr Gear Box Inspection timing

NC Bill

What's the time requirement on the inspection?

Must it be done before 600 hours, or at the annual after that, or some within some number of hours after 600?

My annual will fall at 540 hours and 640 hours. Just planning on when to have the gearbox done - 60 hours before or up to 40 hours after.

Hi Bill,

You can legally do it at either time if you were in the 600 hr inspection group, but I have good news for you. I just went over this with Rotax and the language in the Line maint. manual is confusing. Some of it from German to English translation and some of it because in 2003 and forward the slipper clutches were put in our ULS (100HP) engines as a standard, but before 2003 it was an option. The language was meant to separate non slipper clutch engines and engines with gearbox slipper clutches.

So the bottom line is if your engine has a slipper clutch (and yours does) and you use 91 oct. unleaded fuel then you don't need to do the inspection until 1000 hrs.laugh.gif If you have a 912UL (80HP) engine without a slipper clutch then you are set at 600 hrs.

The exception to the 1000 hr inspection is if you use 100LL more than 30% of the time then you are back at the 600 hr. inspection time table.

If you have a 912ULS mfg. after 2003 with a slipper clutch then the inspection is at 1000 hrs.

If you have a 912ULS and use 100LL more than 30% of the time then the inspection is at 600 hrs.

If you have a 912UL (80HP and no slipper clutch) then the inpsection is at 600 hrs.

Hi Al,

All US 2005 CT's and forward have the 912ULS 100 hp engine. All 2003 912ULS engines and forward in the US have a slipper clutch. You have a slipper clutch. You are at the 1000 hr. inspection.

Also if you do the slipper clutch friction torque test at inspection you have a slipper clutch. The 912UL engines with no slipper clutch do not do this test at an inspection.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder for you guys coming due on your gearbox inspections that JM Aero Service out of Tracy CA is fully tooled to handle your gearbox needs. With over 50 gearboxes under my belt no one knows them better. Will give all fellow CT owners a special rate along with the usual 90day warranty covering all parts, labor, and shipping. Call for a quote! All regularly used parts are kept in stock to ensure quick turn arounds.

Archived