Failed oil pressure sender

bjmauldin

Has anyone replaced the original Flight Design oil pressure sender, which I think is a Rotax VDO? Mine has failed, alarms for high pressure after having fluctuations for months on the EMS, with under 200 hours on the engine. It was suggested that it be replaced with a Honeywell on the firewall. The mechanic is having issues with the Honeywell now, despite changing the pin connections. Still no reading in the cockpit. He thinks it is a defective Honeywell sender. Any other ideas?

Hi BJ,

The Honey well senders were supposed to help with the vibration issue, but there have been some bad Honeywell senders as well. The Honeywell is an expensive replacement. The Rotax OEM VDO sender is $240 and is nothing more than a VDO sender with an anti vibration ring for dampening around it. You can buy the senders from around $35, take a heat gun and remove the dampening ring and then silicone it back on the new one. If it was me I would just buy the VDO sender and remote mount it on the back of the firewall down under and just right of the battery. There is where FD is mounting all the fuel and oil pressure senders. Putting it on the firewall will keep the vibration away. You will not need the vibration ring if you remote mount it. You can buy a remote mounting kit from Lockwood Aviation. Here is a place to buy senders.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=150PSI_10Bar

The Honeywell oil pressurere sender failed on my 2011 CTLS after only about 10 hours in service. When I asked the Honeywell people at Oshkosh show they knew that there had been a "bad batch". Flight Design handed me a new one at the show, and Tom Baker installed it, at his shop, on short notice. Thanks Tom! No trouble since, over 100 hours. There was no notice, it simply displayed a big red X on the Skyview, and never indicated pressure again.

Larry

Well the problem seems to be solved with the oil pressure sender. Needed a 200 OLM resistor, which was not part of any kit or install instructions. Just lots of phone calls to find out what was missing, giving a blank indication on the Dynon EMS. Seems to be working now, but it was very expensive.Wish I would have asked more questions earlier in the process

Well the problem seems to be solved with the oil pressure sender. Needed a 200 OLM resistor, which was not part of any kit or install instructions. Just lots of phone calls to find out what was missing, giving a blank indication on the Dynon EMS. Seems to be working now, but it was very expensive.Wish I would have asked more questions earlier in the process

http://dynonavionics.com/docs/RevLog_SkyView.html

This was fixed many firmware revs ago

1.5 3/29/10

Added: A basic moving map displaying aviation data within the United States. This data is overlaid on the look down terrain, and shows airspaces, airports, airport identifiers, and VOR's in relation to the current location of the aircraft. To display this data, you must have an active GPS signal and the USA aviation database installed.

<snip>

Fixed: Newer Honeywell Rotax-provided oil pressure sensor now works correctly without an external 200 ohm resistor.

Archived