91 Unleaded Avgas

westcoastoz

Although I would really like to have alcohol free fuel, I'm happy using 93 octane 10% ethanol mogas for about $3.75/gal. Never have had any concerns or problems with this fuel after using it for 3 years in summer and winter weather. I would probably not use the 91 octane low lead no alcohol aviation fuel even if it were available to me due to the cost increase over mogas.

http://libcloud.s3.amazonaws.com/93/f1/5/1155/Friends_of_the_Earth_v_EPA_leaded_avgas_final_stamped_complaint_3_7_12.pdf

new lawsuit against EPA for failure to regulate out 100LL

This lead issue is giving GA a bit if a black eye it doesn't need. Hopefully, it will get resolved soon. I'm pretty happy with 91 premium for about 95% of my flying.

http://libcloud.s3.a...aint_3_7_12.pdf

new lawsuit against EPA for failure to regulate out 100LL

This lead issue is giving GA a bit if a black eye it doesn't need. Hopefully, it will get resolved soon. I'm pretty happy with 91 premium for about 95% of my flying.

However the blackest of black eyes goes to the EPA for ignoring this issue.

EPA is charged with carrying out a number of duties. They are given certain resources to permit them to accomplish their mission. It mat be that economic, political and health priorities are such that a little lead is not very important compared to other issues. We don't know. As far as I'm concerned, they can ignore this issue forever.

Question for you? I just learned today that my only gas station in the Corpus Christi,Texas area is no longer able to get 93 octane Ethanol free fuel from their supplier. They are able to get 87 and 89 octane.

Can I drop down to the 89 octane that is ethanol free?

No, 91 is the minimum. With a CT ethanol is not an issue what so ever. Buy the 91 and don't worry. If you try a lower octane and take off you may get detonation and if that happens you can not land fast enough to prevent damage. you can't use low octane in this 11:1 compression engine.

I wouldn't do that. Our high-compression engines need high octane fuel to avoid knock (premature detonation) which can do a lot more damage to the engine than alcohol or lead.

Knock is not a big deal for cars anymore because electronic ignition systems detect knock and adjust the timing according. So even if your car manufacturer recommends premium fuel, it will do no harm to use the cheaper grades instead, though you lose some performance (power and efficiency).

Interestingly, the new fuel-injected Rotax has anti-knock sensors built in, though the system has not yet been activated. At some point in the future these engines may be able to run on lower octane fuel despite having the same high compression ratio that our engines have.

Mike Koerner

No, 91 is the minimum. With a CT ethanol is not an issue what so ever. Buy the 91 and don't worry. If you try a lower octane and take off you may get detonation and if that happens you can not land fast enough to prevent damage. you can't use low octane in this 11:1 compression engine.

Roger, what about the 93 with 10% ethanol? Is it better/worse? I can get either one now. My supplier finally ran out on 91 without ethanol. I kkep 150 gallons in the hangar, so when thats gone, its gone.

Archived