EGT false readings

bjmauldin

I recently had my oil pressure sender sender moved from the engine block to the firewall, changed from a VDO to a Honeywell with a 200 OLM resistor added, and did a Dynon firmware upgrade to the newest version. On the first flight after all of these changes done together, I noticed a wide difference between the 2 EGT read-outs on the Dynon 120 EMS. On engine start the Left EGT read 873 and the Right 345. Continuing during the hour flight the Left read as high as 1300 and the Right remained around 400. Now I don't know if it was a software issue or a probe issue. The mechanic had to do quite a bit of electrical pin changes to add the Honeywell, as well as the added resistor. Any ideas?

I had a EGT sensor that would read -99 at ambient, and would read lower by 100-300 inflight. Ended up replacing the sensor.

I did check the old sensor again and once I had reseated the connectors on the old sensor it seemed to work fine so I may not have needed to get a new one.

Hi BJ,

Sounds like a : MIF

Since the last work done was on the wiring then that is where you should start. My guess is the mechanic did something. The pins need checking and look for any loose wiring. I doubt both sensors went bad at the same time and right when the wiring was played with. I don't believe in those kinds of coincidences.

MIF = mechanic induce failure

Archived