whats the difference in the Garmin 696 and 796

kentuckynet

Essentially not very much... I have flown with both (had a 696 in my CTSW, now have a 796 in my CTLS). What I can say is this... The 796 is much easier to use in flight (touch with a finger on the screen is much faster than rotating a knob through menus and then pushing buttons). The 796 has synthetic vision which some may find cool. I have dual Dynon Skyview 10" screens with synthetic vision so the synthetic vision on the 796 is never in use with me. If I had a choice and was buying today, I'd pay the extra for the 796 any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

post-124-0-53906300-1337913345_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-68564800-1337913395_thumb.jpg

Adam

On the picture on the right , it looks like a different panel cover was used? (black rather than silver even around the radio) Where did it vome from?

The picture on the left is that the airgizmo mount?

Thanks for your help

mack

Hi Mack,

Adam has a different mushroom than you. It is at least 3" wider and maybe taller. The panel inserts are wider and taller. The heater controls are remounted off that center panel to make room. You can relocate your knobs, get a new panel and re-cut the holes and the 696 or 796 will fit.

Mack,

You asked two questions... Let me answer so you have clarity. First, remember these are pics from 2 different planes. The 796 on the left is in my new CTLS with Skyview. The pic on the right of the Garmin 696 and the black panel is my old CTSW.

So

Question 1) Where did the black panel on the CTSW come from?

Answer 1) My local avionics shop upgraded my old CTSW from a Garmin 496 to a Garmin 696 and changed out the transponder for a mode S with TIS. I wanted the airgizmo panel on it so I could pop the 696 in and out for easy upgrading and for programming at home rather than in the cockpit. The local shop made a new all aluminum mount and panel and painted it black. They did this because the original panel in my CTSW while it looks aluminum is not, its actually silver colored plastic veneer on a fiber underlayment (its a sandwich of light material but not really aluminum). They felt that the Garmin 696 in Airgizmo with the Garmin SL40 and GTX330 didn't leave enough meat on the face plate to hold it all together and so the new panel was cut using the old fiber one as a template. The new assembly has the required strength to keep it all together. Flight Design approved the upgrade as done and as pictured.

Question 2) Is the 796 in the CTLS with Skyview an airgizmo?

Answer 2) This of course is my new CTLS with dual Skyview. Roger is right, the mushroom here is bigger to house the 10" Skyviews. The Garmin 796 is not in an Airgizmo (although there is plenty of room to mount it on this panel). Flight Design made their own pop out mount that I suspect some people don't know exists! (it's not mentioned in any manual) Essentially they took the Garmin portable yoke mount and permanently affixed it behind the center panel (which is all aluminum). The large screw you see on the right of the 796 about half way down is actually a quarter turn lock unlock screw. When you turn this screw 1/4 turn to the right an aluminum arm moves to the right and the 796 pops out. This allows you to take the unit home and do updates or to program and play with outside of the airplane. I made a label and added it after this picture that says "Garmin 796 Lock" "1/4 Turn Rt to Unlock". I suspect they made this because there was no airgizmo available at the time. It would not surprise me to see them use airgizmo's in future production.

Hope that helps.

As a followup, my Carb and Cabin heat controls were moved when the Garmin 696 was added to the CTSW. The relocation of those controls can also be seen in the picture of the black panel. This was done in accordance with the FD LOA as a part of the upgrade. FD USA can sell you the trim piece that is used to make the indentation for the new location where the controls are mounted. That LOA is available elsewhere on this forum under "Letters of Approval".

Mack, The cable you have put in the link is all that is required. This bare wire cable has wires for power in, ground, stereo sound out (for the XM Radio) and for the data in/out that comes from the transponder and feeds your com. An Avionics guy will have little trouble hooking it all up. Once installed the 796 will feed data to the autopilot, frequency data to the com, stereo xm radio to the intercom panel and receive TIS data from your transponder (if you have a mode S with TIS, like a Garmin GTX330). Note that the Garmin GTX327 (standard with a CTSW) does not have TIS capability. When I upgraded my old CTSW I had the avionics shop put a mode S transponder in at the same time. I then sold my old GTX327 and my old Garmin 496 on ebay to recoup some dollars! Once hooked up the 696 or 796 will work like your Dynon's do (when you turn on avionics the Garmin will turn on, when you turn off avionics the Garmin will count down from 30 seconds and shut off unless you push a button telling it to remain on). Hope that helps... Adam.

Archived