Skyview Screen Setup

Adam

Any Skyview users out there that can tell me how to unlock the screen setups that FD uses in the CTLS? All the Dynon Manuals and YouTube videos show a soft key on the screen for "screen layout". No such soft key exists on my screens. I'm told that FD locks the sky view so the pilot side is a 10" EFIS but has no ability to add a split screen. Likewise the co pilot side is locked to engine and moving map. If the EFIS goes out you can't turn an EFIS on the co-pilot side. Seems like the best features of the Skyview (custom screen setups) have been locked by Flight Design. When I go into the setup screen (holding buttons 7 and 8 down for a few seconds to activate the setup menus) I'm not seeing any setting that allows me to unlock the displays for custom setup.

Am I missing something? Is my bird different than yours? (This is a brand new CTLS delivered a month ago).

Adam

I have had the same concern since I took deliverly of the CTLS with Skyview last summer. I wanted to add a small display of engine moniter on the left side so that the right side could be all moving map. I asked for that option during the Oskosh show 2011. I was told by FlightDesign (Matais) and FlightDesignUSA (Tom P)that the options should be ready by late last year. I have not heard any word or any other concern until now, I thought it might only be me. I know that the Dynon Skyview has many different option, if FD would just let us use them. At the very least I would like to understand why they have decided one size fits all.

Farmer

In answer to your question Adam, NO. That's not the way it works on my 2 SV700s installed in my CTLS in 2009. I can change screens and layouts at will as described in the SV USER'S MANUAL. And I frequently do.

Might be worth a call to DYNON tech support.

For technical support, email us at support@dynonavionics.com

We're happy to take your call at (425) 402-0433.

Any Skyview users out there that can tell me how to unlock the screen setups that FD uses in the CTLS? All the Dynon Manuals and YouTube videos show a soft key on the screen for "screen layout". No such soft key exists on my screens. I'm told that FD locks the sky view so the pilot side is a 10" EFIS but has no ability to add a split screen. Likewise the co pilot side is locked to engine and moving map. If the EFIS goes out you can't turn an EFIS on the co-pilot side. Seems like the best features of the Skyview (custom screen setups) have been locked by Flight Design. When I go into the setup screen (holding buttons 7 and 8 down for a few seconds to activate the setup menus) I'm not seeing any setting that allows me to unlock the displays for custom setup.

Am I missing something? Is my bird different than yours? (This is a brand new CTLS delivered a month ago).

It is my understanding that FD wants no changes to the system on their airplanes, and any change would require an LOA. I agree that being able to swap stuff side to side would be nice, but it is the other things that can be changed by allowing this that is causing problems.

FD can require an LOA for a change in parts or a structural change of some sort, but not programming within an instrument if the programming is part of that instrument. They can if they choose password protect a program in the Skyview, but if you get the password then it isn't illegal to change.

I got some clarity from Tom Peghiny at FD USA. First, the screen setups ARE LOCKED. Tom said they had to do this in order to write manuals and certify the system. The reason NC Bill can change his screens is the conversion was done in the field (not a production Skyview). Now, thats interesting because the FD LOA doesn't require a specific locked setup when a person does a retrofit under the LOA so Im not sure why the disconnect. Second, Tom did say that if the EFIS goes dead there is auto revisionary backup built in and although you can't pop an EFIS up on the right by yourself manually he says if the left goes dead the right automatically pops one up. Next, Tom said that there is some more flexibility being worked on and that the upgrades should be available sometime soon from FD that will allow for a little more flexibity.

My next nit pick... No audible TIS alerts from Skyview? Second Nit, the Garmin 796 has audio alert capabilty for TIS but it has no feed from Skyview so the screen that has TIS (skyview) doesn't audio alert and the one that does (Garmin) doesn't have a feed!!!!!

Bottom line, more upgrades to come, stay tuned...

Dynon Tech Support very helpful... Dynon needed upgrade to 3.3.2 software. I upgraded and boom, audio alerts now working through the PM 3000 like a champ! Very cool...

Glad that helped Adam.

DYNON website http://www.dynonavionics.com/ has a link to their SUPPORT FORUM (you'll find the link under the SUPPORT tab).

The FORUM is helpful and keeps you current on what's coming in new releases. DYNON's been releasing 2 ~ 3 updates to the SKYVIEW a year. When I got my plane 18 months ago it has v2.6 installed. Now were on v3.3.2!

Those who are good at guessing figure weather will be on the SV before the end of the year. :rolleyes: XM I'm goin' to miss ya.

I have to agree. Dynon are superstars when it comes to support & updates. I have had my CTsw for 6 years and have regularly updated my D100/D120 at no cost.

Now I am ashamed to admit that I have gone over to the 'dark side' (sorry Roger) and have just purchased a 2007 Mooney M20R Ovation3GX which has the Garmin G1000 avionics suite and boy, do Jeppesen & Garmin know how to charge for their updates!! Added to that, only dealers have access to the firmware updates so although I can update the NavData, Chartview & terrain data myself (at a price) I can't do the firmware updates like I have been doing with the Dynon.

I hope to be able to keep the CTsw as it is a joy to fly, however the lousy world economy will need to pick up sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Dave

Archived