Operating Cost of CT

Bobby CAU

We figured our costs last year to be $75/hour. That includes all fixed and variable expenses, including TBO put-aways. The hourly charge is largely a function of the cost of fuel and how many hours you fly. We've also got very inexpensive hangar space.

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you have any specific breakdown of the cost like what i found in liberty aircraft website?.

Again thanks.

Regards,

Bobby Cau

We figured our costs last year to be $75/hour. That includes all fixed and variable expenses, including TBO put-aways. The hourly charge is largely a function of the cost of fuel and how many hours you fly. We've also got very inexpensive hangar space.

Here are some numbers that I and a co-owner use, which have been adjusted over time. We formed an LLC with a joint banking account. We deposit a total of $276/month into the account for fixed expenses like insurance, hangar rent, XM radio/weather subscription, licensing, fees, taxes. These are expenses that exist regardless of how much or how little we fly the plane. Variable expenses: Each of us also makes a monthly deposit into the joint account based upon our previous month's usage of hours and fuel, e.g., $30/hour (for maintenance, rebuild put-aways, miscellaneous expenses) along with the number of gallons multiplied by the average cost of fuel purchased in the previous month. The LLC buys the fuel used when flying into and out of our home base. When either of us takes a trip where fuel must be purchased outside of our area, each of us pays for that fuel out of his own pocket. Keep in mind that these numbers are for our 2006 CTsw, which has depreciated in value over the past six years, lowering our annual insurance premiums. Also, we have very inexpensive hangar rent. Bottom line in 2011 - $75/hour.

• 1 year later...

Here are some numbers that I and a co-owner use, which have been adjusted over time. We formed an LLC with a joint banking account. We deposit a total of $276/month into the account for fixed expenses like insurance, hangar rent, XM radio/weather subscription, licensing, fees, taxes. These are expenses that exist regardless of how much or how little we fly the plane. Variable expenses: Each of us also makes a monthly deposit into the joint account based upon our previous month's usage of hours and fuel, e.g., $30/hour (for maintenance, rebuild put-aways, miscellaneous expenses) along with the number of gallons multiplied by the average cost of fuel purchased in the previous month. The LLC buys the fuel used when flying into and out of our home base. When either of us takes a trip where fuel must be purchased outside of our area, each of us pays for that fuel out of his own pocket. Keep in mind that these numbers are for our 2006 CTsw, which has depreciated in value over the past six years, lowering our annual insurance premiums. Also, we have very inexpensive hangar rent. Bottom line in 2011 - $75/hour.

Our insurance is coming due and we are shopping. Currently we pay 4125.00 year. What does your LLC pay, what are the limits?

Thank you

I have been paying $1500-1600/yr since the plane was new in 2007. I keep the hull at original purchase price of $115K. This irritates me a little since my previous plane, a C-182, was insured for about $800/yr with a hull value of $85K.

I know the insurance companies are a little cautious of pilots coming from traditional GA aircraft who think they can fly light sport with little or no transition training. But, after flying the CT for seven years without rolling it up in a ball I would think the premium would come down.

Whenever I discuss this with these companies they assure me that nobody at my experience level (5000 hours and no accidents or claims) gets a better rate. I'm not sure I believe that. It will be interesting to see what will happen to my rate next year when I officially become and old f#*t at 70.

Archived