Flight with door removed

westcoastoz

Looks like your own your own. If you decide to test this you may want to keep the speed down to 90 knts.

Not officially. It is not mentioned in the AOI-POH. The load testing was always done wit the doors off and a complete flight test has never been done and operating procedures have not been created.

I know it's been done, but I haven't done it and it isn't in the POH. Seems like it would be fairly windy inside. Does the anonymous owner of the shoe know what air speeds they were flying and what the cockpit wind was like?

I used to fly my helicopter without doors, it would be interesting to do it here too provided it isn't a tornado inside.

Roger, according to reports of the occupants (:) ), it was not really that windy if speed was held below 70kts. Note this is a CTLS. Bose headsets helped with the noise factor. Interesting you mention helicopters. I believe that the pilot (and owner of the shoe) flew over 4000 hours in helicopters in the National Guard. This included Apache Gunships. I guess once you fly with the doors off, you always want to go back and do it again!

Hi Dave,

You may want to try this before you take off with no doors. Open the both doors and run the rpms way up to 4500 rpm. That's an awful lot of wind to have to deal with and that doesn't include the forward motion wind invading you or any crosswinds coming through the cabin. Then talking on the radio may be a big challenge.

As a more serious reply to the question, my recollection of flying with doors off was that it was that I wouldn't want to do much of this type of flying. It was noisy, the buffeting from wind was irritating and the bose microphones didn't like the wind gusts and produced booming noises. If this is done, air speeds below 60kts is probably best. I don't believe that my friend has flown with doors off very much, probably just a few times.

Archived