CTLS near San Antonio

johnp

(I'm not sure where to post this so mods can move it if they wish.)

I have relocated to San Antonio, Texas and would like to look at and fly in someone's CTLS. I am a PPL who owned a Cirrus Sr 20, but would prefer the more cost effective CTLS. Speaking of cost effective, what do most people pay for their annuals? How about insurance?

Thanks,

John

CT's are very cost effective as long as you have the right guy working on your CT. Make sure you find a factory trained airframe and Rotax certified mechanic. You can not take it to the old GA mechanic (which I am both GA and LSA) and expect to get anything done correctly. Do your homework. Roger Lee is in Arizona and the Gutmann's are in Oklahoma. Either one will be able to get you fixed up with proper maintenance.

Contact Tom Gutmann for sales, they are the best choice hands down.

Airtime Aviation

8400 E Hanger Rd B135, Tulsa, OK 74101

918-299-2442

I have a CTsw based in San Marcos (KHYI)... not far from you. Would be happy to take you up for a demo flight some time. Mine is a little unusual in that it has the classic instrument panel with steam gauges, not the glass panel that most seem to have. Also, from what I understand, the CTsw handles a bit differently than the CTLS, but I've not flown a CTLS so can't really comment further.

I have a CTsw based in San Marcos (KHYI)... not far from you. Would be happy to take you up for a demo flight some time. Mine is a little unusual in that it has the classic instrument panel with steam gauges, not the glass panel that most seem to have. Also, from what I understand, the CTsw handles a bit differently than the CTLS, but I've not flown a CTLS so can't really comment further.

PM sent.

Hi John,

I'm not that close to you but have a 2009 CTLS with the Dynon D100/120 glass, 696 and autopilot in Southeastern Az I use for rental and instruction. I have about 600 hrs in CTSw and about 800hrs in the CTLS and a few in the CTMC. Glad to answer any questions you may have.

Hi John,

I'm not that close to you but have a 2009 CTLS with the Dynon D100/120 glass, 696 and autopilot in Southeastern Az I use for rental and instruction. I have about 600 hrs in CTSw and about 800hrs in the CTLS and a few in the CTMC. Glad to answer any questions you may have.

Eric,

What are the average operating costs for the CTLS?

Eric,

What are the average operating costs for the CTLS?

Without hanger or insurance, just basic operation costs, allowance for engine TBO, 5year rubber replacement, parachute repack, oil/filter changes, sparkplugs, and annual inspection it comes out to about $50/hr based on a use of 125hrs per year. These numbers are based on my experience over the last 4 years operating CT's. That also is using premium auto fuel at 3.90/gal. And changing oil and filter every 50hrs.

My costs are similar to those reported by Eric for operation of a 2006 CTsw (about 400 hours now). Considering $20 per hour for fuel and $10 per hour for engine ($20K conservative for new engine over 2000 hrs and you get $10/hr), you have $30/hour for those two costs, alone. Add in hoses every five years (about $2K, or 400 per year, or $3/hr) and parachute service every six years (similar money), plus all of the other scheduled maintenance (oil and filter, plugs, carb inspections, etc) and unscheduled maintenancene (e.g., tires, brakes) you get well over $40 per hour real fast. In comparison to my experience, Eric's reported operating costs are right on target.

Hi Russell,

I live close to you in Portland, Tx. May I ask you who you use for your annuals? My first one as an CTSW owner will be due in October.

Thanks

Archived