ADS-B from Garmin

S3flyer

Garmin has finally announced an ADS-B product that works with the 396 through the 796: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Garmin_ADSB_Digital_Radar_206974-1.html

$800 bucks so would take around 14 months to pay for itself versus XM. Works with tablets but currently requires Garmin's software. Couldn't tell if it could feed one device via Bluetooth and another through the hard-wire. That would be nice.

I like that I could plug it into my 496 today and upgrade to the Aera line later.

Think I'll tentatively put this on my list of upgrades, pending real world reviews.

'competition is heating up... 'all nice products. Unless there's some price fixing, I'm guessing they'll eventually sell for half the current price.

I see where Garmin also now has a stand-alone GPS, that hooks up with tablets, etc.

Tim

Tend to agree that price point for an ADS-B receiver will gravitate towards $500 with Garmin adding a premium.

Interesting to me that Garmin may have effectively killed the AERA 510/550/796 for VFR flyers. Buying the GDL 39 plus the non XM AERA is only a couple hundred more so the payoff would be a few months. I know ADS-B weather isn't quite the same as Aviator Lite but it's close enough. You also get traffic with ADS-B which would be nice in busy airspace like DFW.

Coverage may be an issue for some but that's only a timing issue.

Wonder if XM will try to compete and drop prices on the Lite package?

Good Morning, FreeFlight!

Welcome aboard! I think you'll really like this outfit. Very knowledgeable and friendly people here that can help with practically any question you can come up with. I've relied on members' advice for over a year now and it's all been good.

Regarding your first post, do you have a receiver name or weblink? I can't find it on the FreeFlight webpage.

Thanks,

You're correct in that most of the systems are ADS-B in so will not satisfy the 2020 requirement. Freeflight does mention that their unit has an upgrade path to meet the ADS-B out requirement.

And in other news, Dynon SV now has ADS-B in: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/ADSB_Dynon_FreeFlight_206999-1.html. Very surprised on the Dynon price-point of $995, would expected lower.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone done a hardwired GDL 39 & 696 installation? I understand there are some cabling issues that take some special wiring to keep the current functions? The power wiring should not be difficult but think there is an audio or antenna wiring issue. Also, is there an LOA for a wired installation?

Archived