In flight adjustable propeller

Duski Don

Hi Don,

Unfortunately it won't be anyone from the US. We aren't allowed to have them, but maybe someone else from another country will chime in. Other props will fit just fin. You made need to change the spinner depending on the new prop.

• 2 months later...

G'day Guys and Gals,

I have checked out all options and concluded that overhauling (750 hourly) my Neuform prop was my best option.

I have despatched the prop (and the money) to Germany a coupla' days ago.

I can't find it again but I thought I read somewhere in this forum that Neuform weren't exactly customer focussed.

I must admit at this very early stage of proceedings they must have a problem with their computer because apart from sending an e-mail to my LAME advising that they would not send us the parts,and quoting to do a 750 hourly overhaul, they haven't been guilty of replying to one of my several e-mails yet.

Any feedback welcomed.

Duski Don

G'day Roger,

The overhaul cost I thought was quite reasonable at 244 EUR.

The return freight was more (342 EUR).

Still no communication.

Might give them a call (and live in hope someone speaks English)

Kind regards,

Don

G'day Roger,

Only sent the prop last Tuesday 4th Oct.

I'm off on holidays mid November for 3+ weeks so I'm sorta resigned to not being back in the air until mid December.

Cost in Oz dollars $799 (exchange rate at the bank as good as parity with your $s)for Neuform plus $429 for secure insured freight to Germany.

By the time I get my LAME to re-fit it I don't think I'll get much change outa' $1700 all up.

I'll just have to do more hours to get the maintenance rate per hour down.(there may be something wrong with my logic on this one)

Best regards,

Duski Don

A Sensenich 68" (not 65" like the Neuform)3 blade prop would cost approximately $2150. Then the labor to put it on and that may be around 1.5 - 2 hours of install and a quick flight test and re-pitch for the fine tuning part for most A&P's. I could give my prop pitch then it would just be a short 40 min. install and you would be good. I see about 5650+ rpm WOT.

The Sensenich is US based, has metal edge protection, no 1000 hr. inspection, maybe a tad quieter. Usually, but not always, as the prop gets longer it also has some sound dampening with it. Most of the Neuform's sent for inspections in the US are costing anywhere from $800-$1000 from FD and that's without any labor on the shop end. The inspection price from FD depends on the prop condition when sent in. Things like nicks, dings or cracks in the gel-coat is the reason cost increases.

G'day Roger and Dick,

You have to bear in mind that my prop is an in flight adjustable pitch.

All other brands of similar props were around the $4000 (Oz) mark.

So after much consideration I concluded that staying with the Neuform was the way to go.

Best regards

Duski Don

Hi Don. Yes, good point about your prop being adjustable. I'm guessing that there are attributes like bearing surfaces at the blade bases which may need inspection and perhaps other items needing inspection that may add expense to an adjustable prop overhaul. You had a prop that was working well for you, it won't take any head scratching to get it reinstalled and it also was the least cost option. Looks like the right decision to me.

Had no dramas and got an average around 112 TAS & 18+ litres per hour...

You have to bear in mind that my prop is an in flight adjustable pitch.

All other brands of similar props were around the $4000 (Oz) mark.

Best regards

Duski Don

Your numbers make my cheap ground adjustable warp drive prop look pretty good. MY average is about the same.

G'day Guys,

Always hangared (when home) and covered Roger.

Point taken CT, but this was the prop on the aeroplane when I bought it.

With the $1700 'Neuform option' I still have an in flight adjustable, and who knows I might be able to do a bit more fine tuning.(without undoing any bolts)

Appreciate all the feedback.

Goodonya,

Duski Don

Archived