Flight Instruction for Disabled People

SalmonJo

Hello all! I'm new to flying and to this forum. I've always had an interest in flying but just recently have been pursuing it more seriously. I took an introductory flight from a local instructor and discovered that due to a disability I have, toe brakes are really difficult for me. Rudder pedals I believe will be fine with practice. Since that discovery I've been searching for planes without toe brakes or planes with hand controls, which led me to this forum. Please correct me if I am wrong but it looks like CT's have rudder pedals and a hand brake? Ultimately what I am looking for is somebody in my general area that could provide instruction in an aircraft that would meet my needs. If anybody on this forum has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Salmon Jo,

I have a customer with a Sky Arrow Sport. This aircraft has an option for all hand controls (which my customer has on his aircraft). It is standard with hand brakes. He is in the Kansas City area so maybe not much help, but you might keep an eye out for one in Wash. I will do some asking around and let you know if I find out anything useful.

Doug Hereford

Thanks again guys! Any and all of your input is much appreciated. I had already checked the FAA registry and done lots of searching online but I want to contact as many people as possible in the aviation world to see whats available to me. Again thanks!

SalmonJo, there are three Flight Designs that are offered and all have hand operated brakes. The CTSW, CTLS and CTMC are all models of Fligh Design aircraft and they have hand brakes. I'm not sure if you just have difficulty with using toe brakes or if you also have concerns using the rudder pedals? If so, you may consider flying an airplane that has no hand brakes AND no rudder pdals. This is a classic small airplane called the Aerocoupe and these aircraft are flown by steering with the hands and no input is needed by legs or feet. The Aerocoupe qualifies as a Light Sport aircraft and if you happen to find one that is available in your area, you could train in this and take your check ride to obtain your LSA certificate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero-Craft_Aero-Coupe

Here's what the "finger brakes" look like in my Sky Arrow:

7734848354_bc2c95c578.jpg

They work fine. But if you have a crosswind and are trying to keep aileron into the wind after landing and one hand on the throttle, you kinda run out of hands.

I generally abandon the throttle at idle and use my left hand to hold the stick into the wind while braking with my right.

Good luck in your pursuits, BTW!

Thanks again guys for the ideas and encouragement. Another question that has been nagging at me.......If I get my license in a plane like an Ercoupe or a Sky Arrow, will my license most likely be restricted to flying that plane? I may find that I don't have a choice but I would like to leave as many options on the table as possible. I think that is why I was drawn toward a plane like the CT with rudder pedals and a hand brake.....it would leave me at least a few varieties of aircraft to fly even if my license was restricted to aircraft with similar controls.

Another question that has been nagging at me.......If I get my license in a plane like an Ercoupe or a Sky Arrow, will my license most likely be restricted to flying that plane?

I've never heard of such a limitation.

Realistically, once you got your license you would have to decide what planes you could handle, based on your limitations.

Thanks for correcting my mistake of putting the Aero-coupe website in for the Ercoupe. I was in a hurry and didn't read the Wikipedia site befor posting.

SalmonJo, I thought that I'd seen that Flight Design was looking into a hand controlled system for their aircraft. Perhaps this will not be something that you would be able to access in your area but it is worth knowing about. Check this out:

http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1104_handcontrols.asp

Flight Design has hand controls on planes in Colorado at Peak Aviation and the design allows those controls can be put on any CTLS. http://flightdesignusa.com/2011/04/newly-produced-hand-control-donated-to-able-flight/

also have one on the east coast at Chesapeake sport Pilot they have one on line. http://flightdesignusa.com/category/flight-training/

There are not any flight schools in Washington state FD is looking for a school to join the FDPC ( Flight Design Pilot Center ) http://flightdesignusa.com/flight-training/find-a-fdpc/

I wish you all the best in the pursuit of a pilots certificate

If you get your license in an Ercoupe without the rudder pedal modification then you will be restricted to the Ercoupe. I had a guy get this restriction removed with us this year, we taught him how to use the rudder in our CT then he took the sport pilot practical test again.

If you get your license in an Ercoupe without the rudder pedal modification then you will be restricted to the Ercoupe. I had a guy get this restriction removed with us this year, we taught him how to use the rudder in our CT then he took the sport pilot practical test again.

How does the FAA document this? They don't put category/class on the Sport Pilot certificate, right? Is this restriction an endorsement, or do they make an exception for this kind of restriction and put it on the certificiate?

Jim, you are correct that the FAA only indicates ASEL on the Light Sport certificate. One is certified to fly certain "types" of Light Sport aircraft by log book endorsement by a CFI who administers a proficiency test for this. FAR 61.321 covers this. For instance, my Light Sport certificate says "Airplane Single Engine Land" but I carry a copy of my log book endorsement stating I have met the training and testing required to fly "AP-5" type Light sport aircraft. This is ASEL with tricycle gear and ability to go at or over 87KCAS. If one wishes to fly Lighter Than Air or Amphibious Light Sport aircraft, for instance, they would get a CFI to test them and if they are judged to be proficient flying a particular craft, they would get their log books endorsed. I believe that there are 8 types of Light Sport endorsement avaiable. The following FAA documents describe this (second link describes "types" of Light Sport aircraft on page 10):

http://www.faa.gov/l...iency_check.pdf

http://faaflighttest...isportguide.pdf

How does the FAA document this? They don't put category/class on the Sport Pilot certificate, right? Is this restriction an endorsement, or do they make an exception for this kind of restriction and put it on the certificiate?

it is actually a restriction placed on your sport pilot certificate, it specifies the "Ercoupe 415 without rudder pedals only" as the only aircraft you are allowed to operate. The same type restriction is placed on your certificate if you do your checkride in a single place aircraft, you will be restricted to single place aircraft only. To remove those restrictions you have to repeat the checkride in an aircraft with full controls or more than one seat.

Eric, I'm wondering if the local FSDO's may control what appears on one's certificate? In our Michigan area, the Light Sport certificates I have seen, including mine, indicate "Sport Pilot ASEL" without any restrictions shown regarding type of Light Sport aircraft which can be flown. The type of Light Sport aircraft that one is allowed to pilot is called out by endorsement of the pilot's log book. We have been instructed to copy this log page and keep it with us when flying in case we are challenged by authorities for documentation. I do not know of a Light Sport pilot locally who has been issued a Light Sport certificate to have anything other than the classification of aircraft shown on his/her certificate.

Eric, I'm wondering if the local FSDO's may control what appears on one's certificate? In our Michigan area, the Light Sport certificates I have seen, including mine, indicate "Sport Pilot ASEL" without any restrictions shown regarding type of Light Sport aircraft which can be flown. The type of Light Sport aircraft that one is allowed to pilot is called out by endorsement of the pilot's log book. We have been instructed to copy this log page and keep it with us when flying in case we are challenged by authorities for documentation. I do not know of a Light Sport pilot locally who has been issued a Light Sport certificate to have anything other than the classification of aircraft shown on his/her certificate.

Hi Dick, you are correct that your endorsements define the category and class of LSA you are allowed to fly.

61.13 states

(b)Limitations.(1) An applicant who cannot comply with certain areas of operation required on the practical test because of physical limitations may be issued an airman certificate, rating, or authorization with the appropriate limitation placed on the applicant's airman certificate provided the—

(i) Applicant is able to meet all other certification requirements for the airman certificate, rating, or authorization sought;

(ii) Physical limitation has been recorded with the FAA on the applicant's medical records; and

(iii) Administrator determines that the applicant's inability to perform the particular area of operation will not adversely affect safety.

(2) A limitation placed on a person's airman certificate may be removed, provided that person demonstrates for an examiner satisfactory proficiency in the area of operation appropriate to the airman certificate, rating, or authorization sought.

61.45 states

(2) An applicant for a certificate or rating may use an aircraft with operating characteristics that preclude the applicant from performing all of the tasks required for the practical test. However, the applicant's certificate or rating, as appropriate, will be issued with an appropriate limitation.

(f)Light-sport aircraft with a single seat.A practical test for a sport pilot certificate may be conducted in a light-sport aircraft having a single seat provided that the—

(1) Examiner agrees to conduct the test;

(2) Examiner is in a position to observe the operation of the aircraft and evaluate the proficiency of the applicant; and

(3) Pilot certificate of an applicant successfully passing the test is issued a pilot certificate with a limitation “No passenger carriage and flight in a single-seat light-sport aircraft only.”

61.315 states you cannot operate as a sport pilot..

Contrary to any limit on your pilot certificate or airman medical certificate, or any other limit or endorsement from an authorized instructor.

Call Wayne. He is a paraplegia and he flys a CTSW. He puts his wheelchair in the plane and himself and flys everywhere. He does have the FD hand control setup. He will be able to answer all your questions. he is also a LSRM-A mechanic.

Tell him I told you to call.

Wayne Flemington

Southland Rotax Service Center

Pourroy Road

Winchester, CA 95296

951-926-9667

Jim, you are correct that the FAA only indicates ASEL on the Light Sport certificate. One is certified to fly certain "types" of Light Sport aircraft by log book endorsement by a CFI who administers a proficiency test for this. FAR 61.321 covers this. For instance, my Light Sport certificate says "Airplane Single Engine Land" but I carry a copy of my log book endorsement stating I have met the training and testing required to fly "AP-5" type Light sport aircraft. This is ASEL with tricycle gear and ability to go at or over 87KCAS. If one wishes to fly Lighter Than Air or Amphibious Light Sport aircraft, for instance, they would get a CFI to test them and if they are judged to be proficient flying a particular craft, they would get their log books endorsed. I believe that there are 8 types of Light Sport endorsement avaiable. The following FAA documents describe this (second link describes "types" of Light Sport aircraft on page 10):

http://www.faa.gov/l...iency_check.pdf

http://faaflighttest...isportguide.pdf

Dick,

Yes, I'm aware of the endorsements. My specific question is what method they use to document the limitation? Any further details on that aspect?

I saw Eric's post after I posted mine. Duh! Thanks for the explanation.

Archived