Fuel Control for Take Off and Cruising

Bobby CAU

dear all my friends in CT Flier,

i would like to check if the fuel flow (red color) should be set at full or middle during take off and cruising?.

i saw some video in youtube the pilot even just set it for 3/4 only.

im flying with full set of fuel normally.

please advise me ok ...

regards,

Bobby CAU

Hi Bobby,

If you mean have the throttle wide open at take off then yes, wide open and not half way. For cruise set the throttle to achieve between 5000 - 5500 rpm in flat and level flight. 5100 - 5300 is a pretty good place to be depending on your specific flight circumstances.

Um... I hope you don't mean the fuel shut-off valve. That should be fully open (up) whenever the engine is operating. It's an on/off valve, not a continuous range like the throttle.

I mention this because in every CT I've seen, the throttle handle is blue, and the fuel shut-off valve handle is red (or grey in older models).

-Russ

I mention this because in every CT I've seen, the throttle handle is blue, and the fuel shut-off valve handle is red (or grey in older models).

-Russ

I just went to Google images and the throttle does seem to be blue.

Color ME surprised! I thought control colors were standardized:

Throttle - black

Mixture - red

Prop - blue

Obviously not normally a big deal in a plane without a mixture or prop control, but this discussion and Murphy's Law would both incline me to think blue is a poor color choice for a throttle.

dear all friends in CT Flier,

what i meant is mixture perhaps, please see the photo i attach.

the red color above the ignition.

regards,

Bobby CAUpost-819-0-33014800-1349144024_thumb.jpg

Bobby,

Mixture in your CT is automatic, there is no control. The red knob is the fuel valve, it is on or off and there is no partial setting.

It covers the ignition when closed so that you cannot forget to open it before starting.

You want it full open.

Just curious...

...is thus fuel shutoff valve on the checklist?

If so, what does it say?

Also, is there an image or schematic of the fuel system in the POH, and/or a description of the valve?

I only ask because we should all go to primary sources first for this sort of information.

As a general guideline, I have never heard of a fuel shutoff valve that was meant to operate in an intermediate position.

Archived