Welcome!

Admin

• 1 month later...

Hi Roger:

Thanks for the tips on landing and Rotax parts earlier today.

I picked my CTSW in Rhode Island last week and stayed about 3 hours ahead of all the snow and weather. So far it is what everyone said it was and i am really enjoying it.

Later,

Gary

Hope this is the proper place for this posting. I am a new member to this forum. I have been flying since the early 90's and I have owned a cessna 152. Because I would like to do away with the physical I (like many) am considering sport pilot. I have enjoyed owning my own plane and I am now considering the purchase of a ctsw. Hope you can fill me in on the pros and cons, etc. Thanks, Zach

Welcome aboard Zach!

You'll find no lack of informed opinions here... Just post your question or comments inside the forum, where it fits best. You'll find you're right on track with light sport and your medical. Having learned in a 152, I know you'll be thrilled by the differences... The CT is so much faster, powerful, and agile. The modern avionics are great. And you'll find the CT community the absolute best in light sport.

Tim

Almost all CTSWs have had the firewall blanket installed, those that haven't will soon. The $1000 rebate from FlightDesign takes the sting out. While hose replacement is a pain, it's the safe thing to do. If Rotax finds no long-term merit, they'll lengthen the time or make it mechanic's discretion.

I personally love my Rotax. It's a very tight, responsive engine. No mixture BS, no oil consumption, no leaks, it's quiet, and carb icing is rare...They just celebrated their 40,000TH engine, and have logged more than 24 Million hours in the air. Many of those hours were done in Predators (UAV). Pretty much all negative comments have come from those unfamiliar with the engine.

Post this topic INSIDE the forum, maybe under "random thoughts"... I'm sure you'll get an earful.

tim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I am from Australia and found your forum some months back but never got around to reading much until now. I have been interested in CT's for a long time.

It's good to find a forum with so many knowledgable people freely giving information and insights on the in's and out's of CT's.

I just got checked out on a CTSW a few months ago. And would like to ask all sorts of questions about what they are like to live with on a day to day basis. Clearly there is lots of info already on the forum which I am reading with great enthusiam.

I currently teach flying in a Tecnam P92 Eaglet. I am a Senior Instructor under Recreational Aircraft Australia which is the governing body in Australia.(Similar to US Sport Pilot Instructor)

I am exploring the possibilty of using a CTLS or a CTMC for training. I want to get the lowdown from people who really know. So I hope you don't mind me asking questions.

Mahl

Thanks CT4ME

That's a good name - I like that! I have yet to figure out how everything works here. And where to place questions? But I guess I will figure it out.

I have already picked up some good Info. I went to your website and followed a link to the FAA registry that shows there are only 2 x CTMC's on the registry.

Do you or anyone else know of somebody that has one? Or who has any experience with them?

Thanks Mate

Mahl

Mahl, there are more MC's down in your part of the world than there are here. I had a chance to fly one. Very easy flying airplane including landings. It flies different than the CT. A much heavier feel more like a 172. JohnG on the forums here has more time in the MC here in the states than anybody. He says you can't make a bad landing. Tom

Hey Tom

I want a plane that is reasonably doclie for students and makes a good solid realiable trainer. And that is why I am asking about the CTMC. I find CTSW has very sensitive pitch & yaw.

I have a had real quick look at a CTMC but I had did not have time to really go over it then. I am going to see if I can arrange a test fly with the the local Flight Design distributor.

Mahl

Hi Mahl,

You get used to what ever you fly. GA pilots that come from heavier planes think a CT is too light in the controls. The truth is they aren't used to a nice fast handling plane. They fly station wagons and not sports cars. If you think a CT is light controlled go fly a helicopter with its light cyclic and pedal control. So it isn't an issue for a student because they don't have the bad habits and a heavy hand that a GA pilot has and the student adapts much faster. It is all in what you are used to.

Learning or flying a nice light handling aircraft will make you or a student a much better finesse pilot. I would bet many here on the forum would agree. We are all better pilots because of the CT and not sloppy with the stick and we actually know how to use rudder peddles.

A couple thousand owners around the world have learned in their CT, why are they any different than the next guy?

Hey Roger

You are right! I learnt to fly in a 172. Nice solid aircraft but it is like driving a bus compared to Light Sport Aircraft. I teach on Tecnam P92 Eaglet, nice light crisp handling. The new students take to it like a duck to water! GA guys struggle initally because it is so light and sensitive by comparison to what they are used to!

You just can't go past learning on a good stick and rudder plane. It definitely makes you a better pilot!

My comment about the CTSW being pitch and & yaw sensitive was a comparison to the Eaglet I am currently teaching in.

I would imagine that the CTLS with its longer tail would be slightly less sensitive. But I don't know yet, cause I have not flown it. Yet!

I am SOLD on Light Sport Aircraft! Out of 2600 hrs flying, 2300 are in Light Sport, 1500 teaching in Tecnams in the last 18th months.

The first time I saw a CT it was love at first sight! What a honey! Good looking lines! A cabin with space! Wonder what she goes like? Cos she sure looks good.

Well now that I have flown a CTSW! What is CTLS & CTMC like? And I am looking at them from the perspective of teaching in them.

Just on looks the CTLS wins hands down for me! But for a flying school is a CTMC more practical? Is it more durable? Is it better to teach in?

I love CT's. But I am asking myself which CT is for me?

Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mahl

Hi Mahl,

Only you can make that decision. Either way you'll be happy. If it is only for training the maybe the MC, but if you ever plan on a cross country then an SW or LS.

Do you have any thoughts on performance/handling differences between the CTLS and CTSW? I'm thinking very seriously about trying to buy one or the other but it seems that the only one I'll be able to test fly is the CTLS. I'd like to become familiar with the plane before I go around trying to buy one -- don't think it's fair to sellers to get my transition training at their expense, so to speak. So, if someone gets some hours on a CTLS will that pretty much tell what a CTSW is like or are they greatly different?

Do you have any thoughts on performance/handling differences between the CTLS and CTSW? I'm thinking very seriously about trying to buy one or the other but it seems that the only one I'll be able to test fly is the CTLS. I'd like to become familiar with the plane before I go around trying to buy one -- don't think it's fair to sellers to get my transition training at their expense, so to speak. So, if someone gets some hours on a CTLS will that pretty much tell what a CTSW is like or are they greatly different?

There is some difference. An instructor with time in both could fill you in on the differences. I have one of each for sale and would be glad to provide transition training on either airplane. Tom

I have owned and instructed in both and performance wise they are very similar. They do handle a little different in that the LS has a little better pitch and yaw stability given it's slightly longer fuselage. Think of the SW as a little sports car, and the LS as more of a Cadillac. The LS offers some improvements over the SW such as the composite gear, the hat shelf for more inflight storage, the added visibility of the second side window and a few ergonomic changes in the cockpit. Flying a LS will give you a good perspective of the SW as well though so if you get the chance go take a flight. Once you fly one you will be hooked!

• 5 months later...

Welcome aboard Ruby,

We're happy to answer your questions and share our experiences with CTs, and are looking forward to your input. I'm not sure if the sign-up procedure lets you know, but spamming is not allowed on the forum. I was just concerned, because we've had several recent attempts that used commercial links on their signature blocks.

Tim

Hi

This is ruby luise and I am happy to join your community. Hope If I have any question then you can help me and share your ideas with me.

Regards

rubyluise

Hi Ruby,

Welcome from a 2007 CTSW owner in South Texas. I joined last year a couple of months before buying and got so much info from everyone that it made my choice between the Tecnam and Flight Design easy.

I really enjoy the plane and the group of pilots. You may want to look up in the Fly-in section under clothing to see some great new shirt designs Doc Ron made. Several of us will be wearing them at Oshkosh.

Gary

N464CT

• 2 years later...

Hello.  I'm a newcomer to this forum, but a long-time member of AOPA and POA fora.  I've been a Private Pilot for over 10 years and about 1000 hours, but Light Sport has been calling my name for a few years.

We just bought a new (2009) CTLS last week and there are several questions that have already come up.

Fuel:  We have a gas station a few miles away where we can get 97 octane lead-free, alcohol-free fuel.  Is there some better way of fueling than getting a plastic 5 gallon container, hefting it onto the wing, with a towel under it, tipping the container, and waiting about 5-10 minutes while the gas glugs out?  

Grass:  I live on a grass field and we have a hangar.  I read a few comments about landing on grass, but landing here doesn't seem to have been a problem.  We have the small wheels.  What do I not understand?

Hangar:  We have a hangar on our property, but I have a difficult time pushing the CTLS (uphill) tail-first into the hangar by myself.  We are talking about putting a winch in the hangar to help pull the plane inside.  But, there doesn't seem to be any place to pull from.  Are there any solutions?

I am so glad to find out there is a CT Forum.  I expect to make this a home.

Welcome to the group. There is no problem with the small wheels on good grass. I think many pilots think grass is rough, but don't know what a nice grass runway is like.

For pulling it into the hanger I think I would make a couple small "L" shaped brackets with holes in them and have them attached to the main landing gear where the axle attaches. You can then use a bridle and hook to both connecting the winch to the bridle.

Hi Peggy,

'Many solutions to your fueling problem... Tuff Jug is one.  5 gals, with a nozzle that fits perfectly in the CT filler hole.  It doesn't dispense fuel until the weight of the container activates a valve.  No towel needed.  It dumps 5 gallons in about 40 seconds.

Come on up to the Page Fly-in!

Tim