Welcome!

Admin

• 2 weeks later...

This looks great! Administrator, I hope this post is OK with you. It is a plug for our new CT dealership.

Mint air is our new dealership for CT in western NC and SC, located at KGMU. We have a Rotax service center and 93 octane ethanol free mogas at KGMU, Greenville, SC. We are under the Sebring distributorship of John Hurst. www.flymintair.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, this is kind of the opposite of a welcome. As some of you may know, I've been toting with the idea of getting my medical back after a bout with prostate cancer about 1.5years ago. That diagnosis at age 50 kind of kicked my tail. I'm sitting here at the Peoria, Illinois airport after leaving my flight surgeon, Dr. Bruce Chien, who guided me through the process. I am now the proud owner of a Class III medical with SI (Special Issuance)!!! I just need the SI for 3 more years and then go back into the general pilot population pool.

Actually, preparing for it wasn't that bad. Just ran 5 miles every other day, dieted religiously and got all of my medical records lined up. The cancer appears to be gone and I'm moving on with my life. My flying needs have changed since my kids/families are moving out of state. Therefore, I've purchased an '07 Cessna 182 turbo with 219hrs which will help me get in and out of Colorado mountains where one of my kiddos is moving for grad school purposes. I researched the new Cirrus turbo and Corvalis 400 heavily, but just kept going back to my old standby. It's not a rocket ship, but will do 175 kts up at altitude and 165kts, realistically. On a 2 hr X-C trip, there's not that much difference in time. I'm going to miss the 5gph on auto gas, but I'm usually carrying 3 passengers, making the CTLS difficult to use.

I'm not leaving the forum completely, but will be visiting less frequently with my dumb questions. The CTLS of mine will probably be sold through the dealer, Van Bortel, out of Arlington, TX and they already have a prospective buyer. I've "kid-gloved" my plane as much as humanly possible, so we'll see what happens... Will take a pic of the new plane soon and post. It has the Garmin GFC700 AP, SVT and I'm installing the BRS soon. Maybe my mission will change back to the CTLS-type plane again. If the "C" dirty word ever came back, flying will be the least of my worries anyway.

Take care,

John S. Johnson

Sent from iPad

Well, this is kind of the opposite of a welcome. As some of you may know, I've been toting with the idea of getting my medical back after a bout with prostate cancer about 1.5years ago. That diagnosis at age 50 kind of kicked my tail. I'm sitting here at the Peoria, Illinois airport after leaving my flight surgeon, Dr. Bruce Chien, who guided me through the process. I am now the proud owner of a Class III medical with SI (Special Issuance)!!! I just need the SI for 3 more years and then go back into the general pilot population pool.

Actually, preparing for it wasn't that bad. Just ran 5 miles every other day, dieted religiously and got all of my medical records lined up. The cancer appears to be gone and I'm moving on with my life. My flying needs have changed since my kids/families are moving out of state. Therefore, I've purchased an '07 Cessna 182 turbo with 219hrs which will help me get in and out of Colorado mountains where one of my kiddos is moving for grad school purposes. I researched the new Cirrus turbo and Corvalis 400 heavily, but just kept going back to my old standby. It's not a rocket ship, but will do 175 kts up at altitude and 165kts, realistically. On a 2 hr X-C trip, there's not that much difference in time. I'm going to miss the 5gph on auto gas, but I'm usually carrying 3 passengers, making the CTLS difficult to use.

I'm not leaving the forum completely, but will be visiting less frequently with my dumb questions. The CTLS of mine will probably be sold through the dealer, Van Bortel, out of Arlington, TX and they already have a prospective buyer. I've "kid-gloved" my plane as much as humanly possible, so we'll see what happens... Will take a pic of the new plane soon and post. It has the Garmin GFC700 AP, SVT and I'm installing the BRS soon. Maybe my mission will change back to the CTLS-type plane again. If the "C" dirty word ever came back, flying will be the least of my worries anyway.

Take care,

John S. Johnson

Sent from iPad

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Roger, Tim, Etal: Since the great flyin at Page, where Roger got me plugged in o this site, I apologize for my lack of commentary or acknowledgement. As many of you know, I have not been reticient to jump into a conversation. I just had another atricle published and it was in the last issue (Issue 11 Oct 2010) of EAA's online Light Sport World titled: Light Sport Cross country Flying: Lets Go! I have gotten a number of nice comments, including ones from overseas: UK, Spain.

For those of you who do not know me and for those I did not meet at the Page Flyin, I am Kenneth Nolde, PhD. Major USAF(Ret.) and I a partisan CT owner. My wife Nancy and I have owned an aircraft for the past 16 years and we sold our long cherished Piper Cherokee to buy our CTLS in August 2008. Reasons are mainly that FAA and I had a fight about my medical certificate, I won after a particularly nasty fight---I let my certificate lapse rather than fight the FAA medical establishment. So Nancy and I went to the 2008 Sebring Expo and decided I needed a retirement present )See EAA Sport Pilot Dec 2009--"An LSA Joins the Family."

Since then I have been a steady contributer (hopefully) to the CT/LSA dialogue. I actually have quikte a bit of aviation experience, beginning with my first flight, when a Civil Air Patrol Cadet,in a WWII surplus Stinson L-5 and the noise of flapping fabric, a whistle from a cracked window, and 5 minutes of stick time, foreever warped my head and I was hooked on flying. B-52s, 2000 houes, RF-4Cs 2700 hours, and about 2100 GA hours later I still love it as much as the dazzling in old Zahn's Airport, Long Island NY.

In deference to my wife, I must say that this years trip to San Diego through Santa Fe and Page was the best and most exciting CT trip yet. The Santa Fe area is great and we spend 4 really great days sight seeing. Page was a total surprise and we enjoyed so much we will include on a future trip. We were lucky in leaving for San Siego on Saturday, the cluds were thicking--in fact, they were the first clouds we had seen since leaving Pensacola 10 days earlier. Ah sunny San Diego, we left 8 days later to go hoome and popping out of a hole leaving Montgomery (MFY)it was the first time we saw the sun in that whole time. We landed in Demming and found out our landing light was out. After flogging aroound a totally dark airport for a while, we found a tiedown and came back the next day. There was 770LS right next to us. After we took off from Demming, it was a 1000 nm scud run to home. The final 70 nms were under a variable overcast that leaked the whole time (it was misty and rainy). The scud running was not particularly hard, but it was enough to prevent us from sponging off relatives in Texas on the way home.

So, there we are and I apologize for the length, but its nice to be back.

Seeya, ken and Nancy Nolde, N840KN 345 hours

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - Just saying hello as I've just registered on the forum. I'm a UK based pilot, and am looking at getting a CTLS to enable me to continue flying. My experience to date has all been on much more "old-style" aircraft (PA32, PA28, C150, C172 etc etc) but the CTLS has really caught my imagination.

Moving from my old Cherokee6 burning 1 litre of fuel per minute to something that operates around 18 to 20 litres per hour definitely seems to be the way to go :rolleyes: even if you can't get 6 people inside!!

The forum seems to have a lot of useful information in helping to make the decision - so if you see some apparently naive questions in the next few days/weeks please be patient with me.

Cheers

Ian

Well, maybe you can get more than 6 into a CT. What's the record for the most in a Volkswagen?? Oh, wait a minute, do you want it to fly, too?

Anyhow, welcome aboard Ian. And remember, the only dumb or naive question is the one we don't ask because we are afraid about what someone will think.

• 1 month later...

Hi to all,

I am rally happy to find the guys here while they disappeared on the other forum!

Special "saludos" to Angelitom from Roland and Lin !

Have cvhanged to the real name, as "Globe" was too "global" I am rally happy to be back and also many thanks to Roger Lee who is a real expert for me.

Cheers

Roland + Lin from Germany

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes Sir! Some of the posts I've read so far have been very informative; I'm learning a lot already. Are you folks die-hard Oshkosh fans like me? Has anyone ever set up a meeting of CT pilots there? Perhaps a gathering at the CT pavilion/display area would be nice. They might even put on a special talk for us. Just thinking...

• 4 months later...

I am thankful that this site exists. I have been monitoring the other one and was wandering why the posts were so old. Roger called last week and got me on the right track.

I am buying a 2007CTSW and am waiting on it to get the annual before i finalize the sale and go pick it up. Should be ready in mid October.

Im sure i will have many questions that i know you guys can answer for me.

Thanks again,

Gary in always windy Portland, Texas

• 2 weeks later...