Oil Cooler Flow

mocfly

Hi Chris,

We use 5606 brake fluid. You can buy it at Aircraft Spruce or from many FBO's and Aviation supply's.

I don't really know what psi for the answer or even if it has one, but I do know Rotax cares more about quantity over pressure. So long as you have a good uninterrupted flow and only 55 psi no issues. If you have the same at 40 psi that perfectly okay too.

Roger/ all

Today I picked up our 2006 425hr Ctsw from its annual where the high oil temperature was the focus after the other listed items. As many may or not know we are one of the ct owners that has continued to struggle with high oil temps. I have read, re-read and compiled a list of suggestions that have been given and had my mechanic do all of them.

I can say that this aircraft has never seen the oil temp outside of the yellow with most of the time temps being at the top of the yellow and a few times up over the red.

The following items were done.

1. The prop was re-pitched to achieve 5500 at the altitude I normally fly. This was done. 5500 gave me 120kts at 45deg oat. The pitch was changed to 11.25 degrees for those who want to know.

2. The oil cooler,water cooler assembly was centered in the cowl opening and a baffle was added to the sides and the top in order to eliminate/reduce air blow by.

3. The thermostat installed was removed.

4. Oil lines were routed as to minimize the bend radius in all areas.

5. The oil cooler was flushed and strained in a 2 micron filter to see if any particulate was present. None was found

6. The oil/ water cooler assembly was low pressure steam cleaned.

7. Any fins which looked bent over we're straightened.

The results are below and are quite dramatic as the pictures show. However I still feel that the oil cooler is suspect. I am trying to find out how to measure the btu heat rejection rate of the existing cooler. Short of that I may just buy a new radiator and take that out of the equation.

I just want to say thank to those who help us new owners and hope that I can gain enough experience to help others.

Sincerely,

Chris Marinello

N530CT/KCHA

post-456-0-57126200-1350772387_thumb.jpg

post-456-0-94543700-1350772405_thumb.jpg

Just a thought - how do you know the instrument is reading correctly? Is there any way to verify its calibration?

Whenever you suspect oil pressure issues it's always advisable to Tee in a mechanical oil pressure gage. Most mechanical gages have dampeners and will give you a better idea of the average oil pressure. The 912 installation Manuel also has limits for the amount of restriction in the oil system if your worried about tight bends or cooler restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Roger/ all

Today I picked up our 2006 425hr Ctsw from its annual where the high oil temperature was the focus after the other listed items. As many may or not know we are one of the ct owners that has continued to struggle with high oil temps. I have read, re-read and compiled a list of suggestions that have been given and had my mechanic do all of them.

I can say that this aircraft has never seen the oil temp outside of the yellow with most of the time temps being at the top of the yellow and a few times up over the red.

The following items were done.

1. The prop was re-pitched to achieve 5500 at the altitude I normally fly. This was done. 5500 gave me 120kts at 45deg oat. The pitch was changed to 11.25 degrees for those who want to know.

2. The oil cooler,water cooler assembly was centered in the cowl opening and a baffle was added to the sides and the top in order to eliminate/reduce air blow by.

3. The thermostat installed was removed.

4. Oil lines were routed as to minimize the bend radius in all areas.

5. The oil cooler was flushed and strained in a 2 micron filter to see if any particulate was present. None was found

6. The oil/ water cooler assembly was low pressure steam cleaned.

7. Any fins which looked bent over we're straightened.

The results are below and are quite dramatic as the pictures show. However I still feel that the oil cooler is suspect. I am trying to find out how to measure the btu heat rejection rate of the existing cooler. Short of that I may just buy a new radiator and take that out of the equation.

I just want to say thank to those who help us new owners and hope that I can gain enough experience to help others.

Sincerely,

Chris Marinello

N530CT/KCHA

Hi there Chris,

We are almost into summer fully with OAT's 70 to 95F.

Just to report OAT 77F, Oil Pressure 56psi, oil temp.188F(constant in climb & cruise) coolant 194F.

I don't think this will change much when we get to the higher OAT's. Will let you know!

Kind Regards

Bruce

Archived