Why won't my iPad charge?

mocfly

I was wondering what everyone uses for a charger? I bought a dual usb unit, (one usb is for the ipad 2a and one is for the iphone)at Oshkosh and it works perfect in the 172. Not at all in our Ctsw.

When it's plugged in the iPad reads not charging in the top left corner.

Thanks

Chris

can only be one of two things... low power or no power. Low power shouldn't be a problem, as there is 7+ amps available (once you get it to work). I've purchased two units that don't physically fit into the receptacle (no power). Some of the more sophisticated units have a variety of different size/length ends that you can screw on, to make them fit better.

There have been other posts here with the same problem. http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/1583-secure-12v-connector/page__hl__cigarette

tim

Ah, apple. First let me get my personal bias off my chest. I hate them; would never buy one of their products with their patented rounded rectangles. Now for the engineering. Apple has played a series of secret games with their USB port interfaces (that break the USB spec, BTW) in order to cripple 3rd party accessories. I know because I develop the circuits for things, most recently the Biolite stove, which charges USB devices and Apple is always the problem. Depending on what connections are present on the data + and - lines, the IPAD can be expecting as much as 2Amps charge input current. And, unlike all the nicely behaved android things and virtually every other USB device, if the apple device doesn't see exactly what it expects, it refuses to charge at all. So it might be poor seating with the 12V plug or an anemic switching regulator in your adapter that can't supply enough power or simply the wrong internal connections on the USB if your device came out before the latest apple hack was figured out. BTW, the stock circuit breaker on the 'Cigar firestick' is just 3Amps, not 7. Try it in your car, if it works there you could easily replace the circuit breaker for a 7A one if you wished. That would technically require an LOA though if SLSA.

I used a couple different chargers for my wife's iPad2 on our recent Page trip.

I don't know their amperage offhand, but they would keep the state of charge stable - with the GPS in use and the screen brightness up all the way if I started a 76% charge it would stay right there over the entire flight.

Right now we have two iPhones and two iPads and they all have charged from any variety of off-the-shelf cheapo chargers and cords.

One other little caveat - if you plug in a charger that has too low an amperage for an Apple device, you may get a warning that "Charging Is Not Supported For This Device" or something like that. In fact, it will charge your device, just more slowly than normal.

I found quite a bit of parasitic loss in the 12V wiring and plug connections. Try jiggling the the connection or spreading the outer contacts to see if you can to improve the connection. What does the voltage read when the engine is operating? It may be on the low side as there is alot of variability in the ducati regulators responsible for charging the battery. Should hover around 13.8V ideally.

Thank you to those that responded. It works flawless in the car.

Let you all know how and if I figure out the fix.

Thank you all.

Chris

I have a Garmin Nuvi power cord that has always been problematical. Works fine with some outlets but not well with others, needing precise "jiggling".

It uses a plug with a fuse reached by unscrewing the tip. I find that unscrewing the tip a turn or two can coax it into working. Sometimes.

Failing that, a small ball of aluminum foil under one fuse end may extend the tip out a little.

Failing that, a small drop of solder on the tip may help its reach.

Failing that, a tywrap end jammed between the plug and the outlet may wedge it in there more firmly.

Failing that, find a one-into-two or one-into-three adapter that has a friendly plug and sockets. Just beware - I found a nice one at WalMart for under $10 that seemed perfect - had three outlets AND a USB outlet AND both the plug and the outlets glowed a pleasing blue when powered. BUT...when I got my new LightSpeed Sierra's I was dismayed at the noise in the noise canceling circuit. Did not take long to track it down! Probably in this case, simpler is better.

Good luck. It's an aggravating problem, but it should be solvable.

Eddie,

I purchased one of those 3 outlet units also. Same results, noise,noise,noise. I guess a filter could be added to the circuit to eliminate it. Now I just have to find the time to do that?

I would love to have 2 USB's built right into the panel and 2 additional ones over the led cockpit light..

Chris

Flew over your field a few days ago on my way to Charlotte.

• 3 years later...

We discussed chargers on another thread where I linked the source for the Aukey charger I purchased.  Here's the link to the thread:

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/1693-21-amp-usb-chargers/?hl=charger

The Aukey is one of the smallest - it sits flush with the top of the cigarette lighter socket - but it truly does deliver 2.1 amps to everything I've plugged into it.  I don't have Apple products so can't comment on these products.  I just looked to see what's new for USB car chargers and find that Qualcom has a proprietary charging program which is called "Quick Charge 2.0".  Many (most?) new smart phones and tablets run on Qualcom  which includes this new "Quick Charge 2.0" but only a few USB chargers offer the companion program to detect and respond to this from the device it is charging.  Aukey now makes a new charger which will respond to "Quick Charge 2.0" and this is advertised to charge at a much higher rate on all devices which have "Quick Charge 2.0".  It also advertised it will provided maximum charging for Apple products.  Based on my experience with the little charger I bought, I do believe Aukey will deliver on it's promise.

http://www.aukey.com/

Archived