696 External Antenna Connection

Doug G.

I have just installed an Airgizmo in my CTLS. After getting everything installed I found I could not connect the external antenna. Things don't look right, but I am not sure if it is the connector on the antenna coax, or the jack on the GPS. I am attaching a couple of pictures. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

post-785-0-83262100-1354401053_thumb.jpg Plug, note center connector.

post-785-0-08357200-1354401085_thumb.jpgJack I believe the white plastic is loose.

Doug

What I can't tell from your pics is if the antenna connector is broken off and still inside the 696 receptacle or whether the receptacle is fine and its just the antenna connector got sheared off and fell to the ground or inside the cockpit somewhere. Bottom line it appears your connector is broken for sure. You can buy a new antenna for $25 here:

http://www.aircrafts...clickkey=184817

If after replacing the antenna you can't plug it in, it would be because part of the old connector is broken off and stuck inside the 696 receptacle. If thats the case use a pair of sewing needles or small jeweler screwdrivers to apply pressure on 2 sides and slowly pry up the broken half of the connector still stuck in the hole.

Please use what I have said as a theory. Visual inspection live is the best diagnosis. I hate to lead you astray because I am not seeing the whole picture!

Thanks for the picture and analyses Adam. The picture tells me the issue is the antenna end, and I suspect it is lodged in the 696. The plane is fairly new to me but I know there are two antennas on top of the console. One is labelled with both Garmin and XM logos and the other is just Garmin. I am not using XM are the interchangeable otherwise, or is the one XM only?

I obviously need to pull the panel again to check things out.

Hmmm...just checked the Garmin and pulled the antenna end out easily. It doesn't look damaged at all - more like it simply separated. I wonder if the center connector survived my trying to get it installed. Looking back on it this probably explains why, after my last update my autopilot would lose the GPS on occasion- it was running on the internal antenna only.

Glad you were able to figure it out. The XM and GPS do in fact use separate antennas with different connectors and are not interchangable. I wouldn't trust the repaired or reseated connector. I'm not sure if the original was compresson fitted or soldered but in either case for $25.00 I'd go the new antenna route since the old connector failed.

PS, I forgot to state the obvious, if you are a handy guy, you can buy an MCX connector and simply reterminate the existing antenna lead you have.

Archived