2.1 amp USB chargers

round_peg

The 2.1 amp USB charger I bought to keep the iPad (3rd generation) happy died unceremoniously on a flight other day. Actually it gave off a terrible burning smell that I was trying to identify when I noticed that the iPad wasn't charging any longer. Burning is not my favorite thing to smell in the air! The thing was so hot I could barely touch it. Made by Bracketron. A piece of junk, obviously -- lasted only a couple of months. Has anyone had better luck with 2.1 amp iPad chargers?

Thanks for the suggestions. The Griffin PowerJolt seems to have one USB outlet (not an issue), but also the same form-factor as the charger that fried.

http://store.apple.c...ffin_technology

I don't think Apple sells a car charger. I wasn't able to find one on the Apple Store.

EDIT: Griffin also makes:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/powerjolt-plus-ipad

• 1 year later...

Yep I like reading some of chanik's stuff.

Imagine how amazing of a shop we could have if we had Roger's engine expertise, Chanik's electrical engineering, and my experience with composites all in one roof :).

By the way, Chanik, can I speak with you on the phone sometime? I have a few questions.

Yep I like reading some of chanik's stuff.

Imagine how amazing of a shop we could have if we had Roger's engine expertise, Chanik's electrical engineering, and my experience with composites all in one roof :).

Aren't you leaving somebody out? . . . :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just received the charger.  It came in a strong box and looks like a quality charger but it's very small so I'm a little skeptical.  All reviews were positive regarding power to charge and maintain newer tablets.  I'll see if my Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 is happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Charger-Adapter-4-8Amps-Designed/dp/B00M6QODH2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418907275&sr=8-3&keywords=aukey+car+charger

Note: There is a newer version of this charger but it is much larger.   I wanted the small size factor of the one I bought.

Just received the charger.  It came in a strong box and looks like a quality charger but it's very small so I'm a little skeptical.  All reviews were positive regarding power to charge and maintain newer tablets.  I'll see if my Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 is happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Charger-Adapter-4-8Amps-Designed/dp/B00M6QODH2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418907275&sr=8-3&keywords=aukey+car+charger

Note: There is a newer version of this charger but it is much larger.   I wanted the small size factor of the one I bought.

That's a pretty slick little unit and smaller than the one I use...it looks like it might almost fit flush in the CT's 12V accessory (lighter) socket.  I might have to get that.  

BTW, if you want something more substantial, I bought this for my car trip to Oshkosh this year, and it worked great and might do well in a CT:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MDXS0U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gives both dual USB (though only one 2.1A and one 1.0A) and a couple of 120V AC sockets.  It includes a cooling fan which is a little on the loud side, but you would never hear it in an airplane.  The cord is long enough that you can mount or stash it wherever is convenient.  It's probably overkill for local flying, but for long cross country flying it might be really useful.  I'm sure you could quickly overwhelm the CT's charging capacity with it, so just don't use your hair dryer while flying...  ;)

We use Anker changers: cars, aircraft and in the home. They have been more than super. 

We get their products from Amazon.

We have very good luck with Anker products over the years.  So far nothing has failed.  Shouldn't say that knowing Mr. Murphy and his bad luck he brings when you start talking good things.

The charger used in the aircraft are dual outlet,  Each outlet is is 12 watt.  We have two chargers in each of the larger aircraft (front for two ipads running foreflight and garmin pilot (these are backup's to panel mounted electronics) rear for two ipads for the kids) and a single in the LSA.

Anker® 24W 2-Port Rapid USB Car Charger ($9.99 with free shipping if you have prime)

The home charger is five (5) outlet, total of 40 watts.  That means you can have 4 ipads charging at once.

Anker® 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger - Model 71AN7105 ($25.00 with free shipping if you have prime).

And no I don't work for either Anker or Amazon.  Just try to use the best when mine and my grandchildren live's are in my hands.

We are electronic junkies so we have all the latest "stuff".

But even with all that "stuff" Mr. Murphy will ocassionally raise his ugly head.

LSA - Garmin 696 lost software 250 miles from home, Ipad mini overheated and shut down.  Had to pull out paper and get home the old fashion way.

Just ordered it Dick, thanks for the link.

That's the best one I have seen yet.

Allows powering my iPad Air, as well as my external Dual GPS antenna (for lengthy cross-country flying).

Bill, I tried to use the charger today but developed ice on takeoff and came right back to the airport.  Still don't know if this little charger works but hope the comments shown on Amazon are accurate.  All users say this charger does supply sufficient amps to run ipads and Android tablets.  I installed in the CT lighter socket, it comes flush to the surface of the panel.  This has two USB ports that each supply 2.1 amps. concurrently.  It's really small.  Heat is the bain of these types of chargers and I'm wondering if this will overheat?  We will see. 

Andy, I don't see amp draw for it's idled condition? Probably best for use in a car - might overload our anemic CT charging system?   I actually have the old version of this that looks the same but is sans USB ports.  It is so old that USB wasn't invented yet!  This charger is bulletproof and is good to throw in the car for cross country trips. 

Today, I learned something new during my climb up the learning curve of using a tablet.  This is that all USB cables are not created equal.  This discovery was made with my new charger.  Using my old USB cable that has served me well for the last few years charging my flip phone, I plugged this into the new Aukey mini charger and hoped to see positive results on my Galaxy Tab 4.  Arghh, a note popped up which said "Faster charging is possible if I used the Samsung charger recommended for my tablet"!  Shoot, I knew this little charger was too good to be true.  But then again, maybe not.  Let's see, I've got the Samsung USB cable that came with my home charger.  OK, plug this into the Aukey car charger and now let's take a look.  Yup, no pop-up messages and full charging taking place. Surfing on Amazon, I now see that there are premium cables which are dedicated for just charging and are not intended for data transfer.  The comments I read indicate the main reason these dedicated cables provide full amperage charge is that they have larger diameter wire which carries more current.  Also, and someone here might be able to explain this to me, instead of the 4 contact USB connector, it seems that some dedicated charging cables have the two data contacts shortened so that only the 2 charging contacts are in use and the tablet senses this and it does not default to a 500mA (data) charge but allows the full 2 amp charging current.  Also, help me here too, there may be a "signal" sent by some chargers, maybe the iPad chargers, which tells the tablet to allow full current charging.  This makes sense because I see that some chargers offer one USB port dedicated to iPad and a second USB port to be used by "all other" devices, including Android devices.  Although both ports show the same amp capability, only the dedicated iPad port will charge the iPad with full 2A. current??  Hmmm, wonder if my Galaxy has an App which tells what the charging current is??

Today, I learned something new during my climb up the learning curve of using a tablet.  This is that all USB cables are not created equal.  This discovery was made with my new charger.  Using my old USB cable that has served me well for the last few years charging my flip phone, I plugged this into the new Aukey mini charger and hoped to see positive results on my Galaxy Tab 4.  Arghh, a note popped up which said "Faster charging is possible if I used the Samsung charger recommended for my tablet"!  Shoot, I knew this little charger was too good to be true.  But then again, maybe not.  Let's see, I've got the Samsung USB cable that came with my home charger.  OK, plug this into the Aukey car charger and now let's take a look.  Yup, no pop-up messages and full charging taking place. Surfing on Amazon, I now see that there are premium cables which are dedicated for just charging and are not intended for data transfer.  The comments I read indicate the main reason these dedicated cables provide full amperage charge is that they have larger diameter wire which carries more current.  Also, and someone here might be able to explain this to me, instead of the 4 contact USB connector, it seems that some dedicated charging cables have the two data contacts shortened so that only the 2 charging contacts are in use and the tablet senses this and it does not default to a 500mA (data) charge but allows the full 2 amp charging current.  Also, help me here too, there may be a "signal" sent by some chargers, maybe the iPad chargers, which tells the tablet to allow full current charging.  This makes sense because I see that some chargers offer one USB port dedicated to iPad and a second USB port to be used by "all other" devices, including Android devices.  Although both ports show the same amp capability, only the dedicated iPad port will charge the iPad with full 2A. current??  Hmmm, wonder if my Galaxy has an App which tells what the charging current is??

USB has multiple standards and multiple versions. In USB 2.0, the most common standard right now, the spec for data ports is 500mA max. The dedicated charging spec is 1.5A max. To use the dedicated charging mode, the two center data pins (D+ and D-, green and white, respectively) are shorted with a small resistor to tell the device that it's purely a dedicated charger. Apple just makes 2.1A available, which is fine, even though it's not in the standard; your device will draw whatever it needs.

Some manufacturers are annoying though, and deviate from the standards and use proprietary communication and charging protocols.

Corey, thanks for providing some pieces to the puzzle.  On Amazon, one guy said it is best to use dedicated manufacturer's equipment when charging to insure full charge current.  His statement now makes sense based on your comment regarding manufacturers using "proprietary communication and charging protocols". 

I see a lot of Apps to monitor charging on my Galaxy in "Google Play".  This might be helpful for achieving maximum charge current.  If anyone knows of a good App, please let me know.

Tunny - I second your endorsement of Anker.  I own several 5-port chargers and give them top marks.  For the plane I use the EZOPower 5-Port USB Car Charger Adapter High Output 8A 40W bought on amazon.  I put it on an extension and ran the wires so that it is it tucked behind the BRS handle on that little flat spot (tried to Velcro it there with no success).  So far it has worked great, but not enough hours to give a definitive thumbs up.  Keep my GoPro plugged in all the time and iPad mini and iPhone when necessary.

Archived