STRATUS ADS-B for WX

NC Bill

Bill,

Just curious as to why the Stratus versus the GDL-39 given you have a Garmin 696? You could have hardwired the GDL-39 to your 696 for traffic and weather then simultaneously fed your iPad with the same data. Would've allowed you to ditch XM weather although you would have to change to Garmin Pilot on the iPad from Foreflight.

Dave -

First & foremost I wanted to see if ADS-B could satisfy my needs and wants (yea, mostly wants :P I admit).

If it had (more later - I'll post a PIREP from today's test) then my longer term solution would have been to go with the SKYVIEW integrated ADS-B unit at annual and sell the STRATUS on eBay then.

I already receive TRAFFIC on both the SKYVIEWS and the 696 using the GARMIN 330 TIS. Wouldn't leave home without it. :wub:

Everybody has their list of wants and needs for in-flight WX. I tested the STRATUS ADS-B system in my plane today and found it DID NOT fulfill mine. That's no reason to say it won't yours.

My issues were readily apparant.

- Hoped but didn't expect WX would be available before 1500' considering my location at KRDU. It was not. OK.

- Flying at 3500' RADAR was NOT available for more than 200nm. Advertised 250nm I thought. My planned trip was not covered at 225nm.

- On the glare shield was receiving GPS within 2 meters. On the hat shelf 5 meters. Better than expected GPS. No difference noted on ADS-B towers.

- As advertised METARS & TAFS. I assumed AWOS/ASOS. Wrong assumption. Nada. Most airports hereabouts (NC/SC/VA) non-towered but reliable and updated wx on XM. For me that's the deal breaker.

XM Aviator Light stays on the 696. Your mileage may vary.

My issues were readily apparant.

- Hoped but didn't expect WX would be available before 1500' considering my location at KRDU. It was not. OK.

- Flying at 3500' RADAR was NOT available for more than 200nm. Advertised 250nm I thought. My planned trip was not covered at 225nm.

- On the glare shield was receiving GPS within 2 meters. On the hat shelf 5 meters. Better than expected GPS. No difference noted on ADS-B towers.

- As advertised METARS & TAFS. I assumed AWOS/ASOS. Wrong assumption. Nada. Most airports hereabouts (NC/SC/VA) non-towered but reliable and updated wx on XM. For me that's the deal breaker.

XM Aviator Light stays on the 696. Your mileage may vary.

Bill, as you say, your mileage may vary and mine did :D

Just picked up my plane with a shiny new 795, Garmin GDL-9 and external 'fin' antenna in Little Rock, AR and flew it home to the Dallas area. I did not pick up any stations until I was about 20 miles SE of Little Rock, then I had 2-4 stations throughout AR with the average distance to the station being 75nm (I was at 4500'). I dropped down to 3000' in NE Texas and still received two stations at all times. 50nm from Dallas, I picked up 6-8 stations at ANY altitude. I even pick up 1 station on the ground at my home base at the north edge of the class B.

The Garmin interleaves the national and regional radar so I could pan anywhere in the US. Not much to look at today.

I picked up ATIS, AWOS and ASOS. There were a couple odd AWOS/ASOS reports missing but XM didn't always have these either. Don't know why.

I'm very happy with the Garmin ADS-B solution.

Wondering why I didn't pick up AWOS/ASOS wx on the STRATUS, I emailed ForeFlite Support and received this answer today:

ForeFlight Mobile does not currently provide ASOS/AWOS weather, however it will provide you with the current METARS and TAFs in flight.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

Janessa Mehalko

ForeFlight Pilot Support

ForeFlight LLC

• 1 year later...

Archived