Android EFBs

CT4ME

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think the Ipad 2 could be mounted on the left side of the mushroom, between the mushroom and the window? I have been tempted but have yet to pull the trigger. WF

Here's a place to look for mounting solutions. Hope one works for you. http://mygoflight.com/shop-all-product-list/ipad-mounts/

I've been using FOREFLITE on an iPad 1 with leg strap for several months. Indispensable for flight planning. :)

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like the Android Giant is finally lifting its head... more software is becoming available for aviation! While the "big two" (Foreflight and WingX) aren't available for Android (yet), other developers are jumping in. There are at least two moving map products out there... NAVIATOR and OPENFLIGHTGPS. Both have free or trial versions available. The full-blown subscription prices aren't bad, either.

With lower-price tablets available, and in several sizes, more pilots will be joining the "paperless" cockpit. While shopping for tablets, BE SURE to get one with a GPS (duh)... and check to make sure you like the screen. Even though I have an iPad, I'm looking at 7" or 8.9" Android tabs, as the iPad is just too big. I'd also be willing to pay more for one with a better "sunlight readable" screen.

Tim

One of my buddies at work has been a PC, anti-Apple guy his whole life. He had an android tablet, but won an iPad at a convention recently. He LOVES the ipad and says that the touch pad is dynamite compared to his android tablet. Apple finally won him over. I guess all tablets are not created equal.

true... Maybe he has a cheap Android tablet... Some of the low-end ones have "resistive" screens, rather than "capacitive". Or maybe just a junky Chinese product. I've never seen a review where the iPad was touted as having a better touch, compared to any mainstream product. I had a crappy $100 Kmart unit that really sucked. Having setup a lot of tablets for clients, I'd have to say the Moto Xoom, samsungs, toshibas, Asus, and acers feel about the same as my iPad.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

I tried out some artificial horizon apps this week on my Samsung galaxy II phone. Most just work with the accelerometers so are useless for actual flying. The only one that worked properly was ixgyro. It was a bit drifty but settled down after a few minutes and functioned as a true horizon. Needs GPS turned on and also uses the rate gyros in the phone. I doubt it would work so well for devices that don't have MEMs gyros. The trial version has annoying popup screens every 60 seconds, but the full version is $97, about $95 more than most apps. I use Naviator for the backup GPS flight map.

My goal is to get a full backup suite of instruments before heading up to Alaska in Spring. I also have the SP-400 radio so now I have VOR and ILS and a ResQlink 406 EPIRB. The SP-400 works very well, BTW compared with my old vertex radio with better reception and picks up the ILS perfectly.

• 2 months later...

Any thoughts on using Naviator on my smart phone (Droid Bionic) as a backup GPS? Have been trying it out, and I think it'll do the job. I had a Lowrance Airmap 1000 that bit the dust recently.

I like that Naviator has you tracking over the sectional maps. In an emergency, you can even touch on a private field and get the heading/directions to land there.

Prices for Andoid tablets are dropping... Here's a cheap opportunity to get into an EFB. Sprint has a 7" unit with excellent specs for $99. That's the price if you sign a $20 /mo data plan. Not bad. That unit, paired with the application "Naviator" ($50/yr) and a few free or cheap apps, and you have a very inexpensive flying map tool. The full version of WingX isn't available for Android yet, but should be soon.

The tablet is from a Chinese company looking to make a name in the U.S.... ZTE. The device is called the Optik.

I've been looking to try something smaller than my iPad... 'could be the thing.

Tim

• 2 months later...

I bought a $200 lenovo 7 inch thinkpad and downloaded Naviator. The thinkpad has a stand alone GPS so no monthly data plan is required. Only cost is $50/yr for Naviator. Used it last Sunday on a cross country. Works great. I have it mounted on a suction cup holder stuck to my side window.

Ernie

That's a sweet package, 'can't beat the price!

I've seen one CT with the tablet mounted on a goose-neck, from the seat rails, so it can swing to either side...

This might work well, too. (sure beats the $100 a ram-mount would cost)

Gooseneck mount

BTW... if you are inclined to want an inexpensive 7" tablet with a data plan (weax and other info while traveling, if wifi is not assured), checkout the $99 7" tablet at Sprint. It's a very-good quality unit, with great reviews. ZTE Optik. The data plan is only $19 /mo.

Tim

• 8 months later...

Ran across this and thought some might be interested. There have been improvements since this was put on YouTube, but I have it on both my phone and my Android tablet. This is Android only. And, your best bet is to get it directly from avilution.com

Archived