Android EFBs

CT4ME

Wow... let the competition begin!

I've been looking for a device that would function as an Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) for some time now. I want something with battery power, gps, 7" screen, and the ability to run independent applications... plus the ability to get on the Internet. I'm willing to pay a subscription for things like sectionals and weather. The device would be used as a backup GPS, and something to replace maps/charts/AFD, etc.

Things like the IFly700, Quadra look nice, but are dedicated devices, without the ability to surf the web or run independent applications.

I've been waiting for an alternative to the iPad, as it's not a perfect device and I don't like Apple's penchant for control and proprietary things.

Enter the Android Tablet!

Soon, we'll have many tablets to choose from... here's one that will be available this week at KMart.... for $150!

shapeimage_8.png

shapeimage_13.png

I'm not saying this is going to be my new EFB... but...

7" screen, battery powered, Android 2.1, wi-fi, 2GB, accepts 16GB SD cards, usb port.... and it has access to the Android Marketplace - with 70,000 applications.

That means you'll be able to run WingX, or Foreflight, or any other of dozens of aviation applications that will undoubtedly be available soon.

(I'm not sure if this unit has a gps... but if it doesn't, there are many coming out soon that do)

Let the competition begin! I'll be buying one of these soon just to play. Even if it isn't my new EFB, It'll be something to surf the web and check email. Don't forget, if you use it with a program like LogmeIn... you can remotely control your home/office computer, and do anything on it that you can do on your computer!

Tim

'Picked up one of the KMart Augen tablets to play with... nice try for a first effort, but it won't be the Android tablet everyone is talking about. It would be OK for email and web surfing, but not as an EFB. NO GPS for starters, and just not the quality or support needed by pilots.

SO.... a bunch of Android tablets will be released in the next couple of months - from major players like Dell, Motorola, Samsung, HP, Cisco, Archos, Asus, Acer & NEC... and a slew of tablets from companies you've never heard of. Of course, these no-name units will begin to show up re-branded with familiar US brands. Prices will probably vary from $100 to $400, depending on cellular phone capabilities and service contracts. Wi-fi only systems will be cheapest, but

The tablets will come in several sizes... notably 5-10 inch. The iPad is 9.7". The 7-10" are most likely going to find favor with pilots.

Here's my wish list:

7-10" screen, from a major player

Fast processor

At least version 2.1 of Android, with a promise of upgradeability. (Android 2.2 and beyond will support Flash)

Touch-screen, readable in daylight (capacitive screen would be best)

GPS - mandatory for pilots, for backup navigation and moving map features.

WiFi and 3G/4G built-in. (Cellular Internet desirable, but not important if unit can tether from phone's Internet connection)

Good Battery Life, with a replaceable battery

Adequate internal memory with ability to use SD memory cards

USB connection

Standard 3.5mm headphone connection

Built-in Microphone and speakers (good for free Skype calling)

Accelorometer

Camera/Webcam

Bluetooth (a guy can dream)

Oh, and no temperature problems (iPads have been having temperature-related shutdown problems)

Here's a good start, from Texas.... $285 (re-branded China unit). But no GPS! (or 3G)

Flat Computing - in Texas

Here's a glimpse of the new Dell unit... a 5" phone/tablet. You can see this might be a bit small for a EFB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ski1hOvDbKg

Dell is said to have 3 units.... 5", 7", and 10"

500x_dell-streak-7-10-tablet1.jpg

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

The Next Contender for my new Android EFB may be coming soon from Samsung. The Samsung Galaxy Tab will be unveiled in Germany on Sept 2nd, and available in the USA sometime in the Fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfCZC4VHnE

This unit has all the things from my wish list

• From a Major Company
  • Android 2.2 or later
  • Fast processor
  • 7" screen size
  • Capacitive Touch screen (bright/nice but not super amoled)
  • Battery powered (life: 7 hours video playing)
  • GPS and A-GPS
  • Camera (front and back)
  • Plenty of memory and SD card support
  • USB support
  • Accelerometer
  • Microphone & speakers
  • WiFi and 3G support
  • Bluetooth (confirmed)

Other supposed cool features... the ability to show full, smooth, 1080P video. And a new text input feature where you don't have to tap keys... just swipe your finger roughly over the keys and it figures out what you were trying to spell. Hey, early reports are that it works way better than typing on an iPad.

If luck holds, you'll see this, or one like it, at the Page Fly-in!!!

Tim

Brian, yep - you were ahead of the game on that purchase. It's always been a close purchase for me. I've contacted Walter and pleaded for him to translate his software to run on the Android platform. I'd happily pay a sizable subscription fee. C-ya in Page!

tim

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an extended demo the the leading contender for "my new EFB"... The Samsung Galaxy Tab. It has been announced and will be available on all four major carriers (starting in mid-Oct !). Sorry, no aviation apps demo'd, but imagine all this, plus all the features of WingX or Foreflight... and more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbsmHMAhrQ

Tim

• 2 months later...

No.... the current leading contender is certainly the Samsung Galaxy Tab.... it has all the specs... but Dozens of Android tablets will be released over the next few months. The Problem, as I see it, is software. Right now the best packages have been done for the iPad platform. Foreflight is focused mostly on the iPad environment, and WingX has an Android version, but it doesn't have the moving map feature, yet. Given a little time, there should be more Aviation-specific packages for the Androids.

But, by April, there will be a new iPad...

I hate waiting... In the meantime, that iFly700 still looks like a great aviation-specific device. If Walter would only offer his product, running on an Android tablet.....

Tim

• 1 month later...

Tim...

I took a leap of faith and bought a Witstech A81G 7" Android 2.2 with GPS..from China... About 225.00 shipped..Has a 3000mAH removable battery..Mine is resistive but they now have capicative screen too...A little more.. Had to do a hack to get full Market place.. I love it.. My wife will use it the most in church for reading scriptures, and Facebook and email while at home using wireless!! I was able to put Co-Pilot for $4.95 for off line maps of the US and I even put a Sectionals moving map Avilution...Aviation Maps..$4.95 per month... Cancelled after I looked at it.. Not too bad for a 3rd or 4th backup. The Ifly700 MUCH better Now.... Iphone 4 or Android on Verizon this week?????? What do you think???

Brian

Hi Brian...

That Witstech unit looks nice! Gosh, it's killing me to wait, but...personally, I'm waiting a few more weeks until:

1- The Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) tablets hit the streets. Motorola, Toshiba, & 2nd Generation Galaxy Tab should be available soon. These have dual-core CPUs and better graphics processing power. (There were something like 60 tablets announced at CES).

2- the new iPad is announced. Supposedly going to be Feb 9 announcement and shipping around April. As much as I dislike Apple (inflated prices and control), they DO have the best aviation software library (for now).

I would have bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab already, but I heard that Android 3 needed a dual core processor. That may not be true, but I'm glad I held off, since all the newest units seem to have better hardware.

Apple or Android, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing most aviators with a tablet very soon.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

The new Motorola Xoom tablet goes on sale this Thursday, Feb 24. This unit looks to be the #1 contender as my new EFB. Costco will be selling it, so the price will be good and return privileges liberal. To avoid creating a long specifications list, I'll just say - it has it all, including things like a barometer and gyroscope, which could be useful for aviation.

Motorola Xoom info

Compared against others

On another note, I'm told that WingX will soon be announcing a new, updated, version of their Android software... stay tuned for more info

Tim

Love Android but have my doubts on the Xoom being any sort of iPad killer. The Xoom is rumored to cost $800 bucks which is just $30 less than the top-of-the-line iPad 3G. Here's a link to a Best Buy ad: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/06/best-buy-ad-prices-motorola-xoom-at-800-affirms-february-24th/

For aviation use, you could easily go with the $499 WiFi only iPad version then add one of the highly accurate external GPS units for another $70. Or go with the $629 3G unit.

It will be interesting to see if the aviation software world invests in Android tablet development or keeps their focus on the iPad market. The 2 are completely different software environments requiring two different codebases for the two platforms. I would expect most aviation software companies to wait awhile before they port their products (given all of them are very small companies).

• 5 months later...

'sure has been frustrating... The android units equal or beat the iPad in many ways but, for aviation, the iPad is still King. It's all about the software. Things will change later this year when WingX releases an Android version that should be on par with their iPad version. When I last talked with Foreflight, they said they were "watching the Android market closely".

Tim

'sure has been frustrating... The android units equal or beat the iPad in many ways but, for aviation, the iPad is still King. It's all about the software. Things will change later this year when WingX releases an Android version that should be on par with their iPad version. When I last talked with Foreflight, they said they were "watching the Android market closely".

Tim

Just bought an Ipad2. Has anyone ever tried the Ram mount that connects to the seat rail. Its on a flexable arm that could be positioned just right, or so it appears in the ad. I really would like to find some way to mount it other than a knee board. I think it would be too big for proper stick movement. Any other ideas?

True... but that is changing quickly... between Moto, Samsung, toshiba, Acer, Asus, LG, Dell, Archos, HTC, Vizio, Viewsonic, and about 100 other makers, Android tablet sales will pass iPad sales by next year. In less than 1 year, Android tablets have taken 20% of the market share, most of that happening in the last few months.

I have both, but personally like the Android best, mostly because it's a more open platform. I hate the iTunes sync thing, and want to be able to transfer stuff to/from my device with a memory card. Also, there are a variety of form factors and wide choice of features. Some flyers feel the iPad is just too big to use as a knee pad... they'd appreciate the ability to look at the 7 or 8 inch Android screens.

Look what happened to SmartPhones... Apple owned the market, for a while. In a relatively short time Android smartphones now easily outsell iPhone. In the last quarter of sales there were about 47 million Android phones sold, versus about 20 million iPhones, that's 43% of the market (vs. 18% for iPhone)

The lingering problem for Android... the minor variations between the various manufacturers (and Android versions) make it harder to write code that works perfectly across the platform. But that is being addressed with newer versions of Android that will make it easier to write code that works across the various units.

For now, I'm flying with my iPad... but am looking forward to being able to transition to only carrying an Android tablet soon.

Tim

Competition is always a good thing and don't want to come across as an Apple apologist but the tablet market is very much owned by Apple and will be for the next couple years. Samsung lost a patent infringement suit in the EU and is barred from selling the Galaxy Tab in Europe for a minimum of 1 year. They will most likely lose a similar suit in Australia. Then comes the financial settlement part of the cases. The US case is winding through the courts as well.

The phone market is quite a bit different than the tablet market. People replace their phones every 1-2 years and pay no more than $199 for the latest-n-greatest phone. Androids typically run less (free for my last two for my daughters). Time will tell how long people hang onto tablets.

In the end, it's the apps that make the platform and all the aviation software houses are small. The Android platform is Java-based and iOS is Objective-C. Different skillsets required to develop apps. The aviation market isn't really big enough for most companies to develop multiple versions of the same product. I salute WingX for giving it a go but ongoing tablet sales will dictate whether support for Android continues.

I personally don't care who makes my tablet -- I just need it to work with apps I need.

Archived