Inadvertant flight into IMC

coppercity

Although you should not be in an IMC situation as a VFR pilot it is good to go practice some manuevers that can get you out of an inadvertant IMC situation. Have a safety pilot fly with you or go up with an instructor and practice some simple 180 deg level turns, climbs and descents under the hood.

When doing 180 deg turns keep your turn rates at standard rate (3 deg per sec) or less. You can find standard rate on the Dynon below the magnetic heading. When the pink rate of turn line reaches the small white brackets you are turning at standard rate. The bank angle required for standard rate increases with airspeed.

For climbs, pitch for about 7.5 deg (halfway between the first and second pitch lines on the Dynon) and add full power. This should yield a Vy climb of 78kts with -6 flaps and 73kts with 0 flaps.

For descents pitch for about 2.5 deg (halfway between the horizon and first pitch down mark on the Dynon)and adjust power for 5000rpm, this will yield a 500fpm descent and 110kts.

Of course its always best to remain out of a bad situation, but its also good to be prepared for the unexpected and have the skills required to get back to VFR.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me add to this: ILS initial approach and holding works at 90 knots, flaps zero, level about 4600 rpm. Reduce to 3800 rpm for a 450'/" glideslope descent. Non precision descent works at the same flaps and speed, 3200 rpm. For landing out of the ILS go to zero power at 200 agl, keep flaps zero, slow with trim to 60 knots into the flare.

- WF

• 1 year later...

I read this a while ago and it had always been knawing away in the back of my mind.

My last flight during brief and pre-flight I mentioned this to my instructor and he said "Good idea!" Went back to the office and returned with a pair of foggles...

He basically ran me through the entire PTS under the hood. Including the stalls!

What a eye opening experience! Matching spatial sensations against instrument reference took some getting used to. But he said I was well within standards all the way.

Getting close to checkride, but I still have to sit for the written...I'm a big chicken.

-T

• 2 weeks later...

Flew through some rain and reduced vis (still legal VFR) the other day but it reminded me of this:

In instrument training its nice to have standard speed, power and pitch settings where you can transition from climb to level manuvering to approach descent with minimal changes. The less you have to change, the less you have to screw up.

Try these. Everything is 90 knots and flaps 0. Climb at full power is +5 degrees pitch. Straight and level is about 4600 rpm. At glide slope intercept go to 3800 rpm. For a nonprecision approach descent use 3000-3200 rpm. Trim changes are not quite zero but are minimal as you move from one regime to the other.

WF

Archived