7th. Annual 2013 Page, AZ Fly-In

Roger Lee

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW... the Gov shutdown (mostly the Parks) is likely to affect the Fly-in, at least a bit. Not enough to worry, but we are evaluating changes that may have to be made. Even if they get things back on track, the Parks may just consider remaining closed, as many close in late Oct or Nov anyhow.

As much as they'd like to, they can't stop us from enjoying the views from the air!

Currently affected: Bullfrog flight (park closed, lodge closed), Dam tours, and the River Rafting trip. Monument Valley is NOT affected (tribal land). The Bryce trip is NOT affected, but you cannot enter the Park. Ruby's still has breakfast and horse/ATV rides, which utilize their land on the edge of the park.

Escalante is NOT affected, but all the Parks around it are closed. I'm sure they will really be happy to see us!

Tim

Roger

I am looking at a day trip tp DRO with a stop at monuement vally private strip.. I looks like about one hour past monument valley and very simular terrian. I have not flown in that immediate area. I have visited Durango many time but never flown in. Any comments or suggestions.

Farmer

'Similar country most of the way there. Mtns are mostly North of Durango. We've considered breakfast trips over that way, but KDRO is just a bit too far. Lots of great scenery interspersed with boring. Maybe a more northerly route on the way back to Page, up towards Blanding, then to Page. Good scenery over several Parks.

Tim

FYI,

Here is the basic flight info and the routes don't always follow a straight line due to scenery.

If the Government doesn't get it together our raft trip on the Colorado river will be affected. If it is we will do something else for fun. There are places to go and things to do. We can also add 1-2 extra flights out or head down to the water and rent a boat for a cruise. Anybody with any pull with our Gov. better step up and whip them boys into shape.

As they say, "Down, but not out".

Page 2013 Flights.pdf

I called the hotel again today to make sure they had the correct dates for me for the page fly in. I did this because they have mysteriously been changed twice before. This time they were again wrong.

They said someone called in and changed their dates to the 17th check in and 20th check out. That changed mine as well the girl behind the phone said. Might want to check your reservations.

So, we're down to the last week and things are looking GOOD! 'Weather is looking great, albeit a few degrees cooler than some years. That's OK, with the DA at Bryce we can use the cooler temperatures.

The PARKS ARE OPEN! That means the river rafting trip is on, the ANTELOPE Marina "dinner on the Lake" is a GO (Sat Nite), the Bullfrog trip is open, and things are normal at Bryce. We're arranging transportation at Escalante for breakfast and maybe a quick trip to the museum or park visitor center.

FYI... Some folks have been here before (maybe even a few times). Some have wanted to do "other things" while they are here. There's plenty to do, and you are free to do your own thing, by yourselves, or with a few others.

Things to do: Bryce ATV or Horseback tours, Escalante jeep tours, Monument Valley tours, Flights to Marble Canyon, boat rentals, and more. This year, I'm going to try to work in a flight to a spot maybe 10-15 minutes West of Page... maybe you've heard of "the Wave, at coyote buttes". Of course, there's always a quick flight to Valle at the Canyon, Meteor Crater, and even Sedona. One of our group is planning a day trip to Durango.

The weather will be great, but about 10-15F cooler this year. Shorts may leave you a little chilled. The day temps are around

61-67F and the lows are 41-45f. Great for density altitude help. Make sure your heater works at altitude.

I'll be there Tuesday about 1130 hrs.

We need to be at the raft trip office at 1030 hrs on Wednesday. .

See you there! :D

Archived