7th. Annual 2013 Page, AZ Fly-In

Roger Lee

7th Annual 2013 Page, AZ. Fly-In

biggrin.gif Lake Powell, Escalante, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Bullfrog Marina Resort...

Make those reservations now. It's time again to work on the Page, AZ Fly-In. We changed a few things last year that added some new fun. We did the river raft trip the day before the actual Fly-In day which turned out with about 16-17 couples. It was a great raft trip. I would highly recommend it.

We flew up to the town of Escalante and we were treated very well and shuttled around. We'll be back again this year. We changed up some of the routes last year which turned out well so we'll do it again.

The Page, AZ. Fly-In date is October 17-20, 2013

We will fly the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Escalante (breakfast), Monument Valley (breakfast), Zion Canyon and Bryce Canyon (breakfast), Bullfrog Marina and Resort (breakfast).

I have blocked off 40 rooms. We will be changing hotels this year and going to the Holiday Inn with a rate of $66 (2 queen beds). I hope to have a record number of CT's and LSA aircraft for our Page Fly-In. Just like last year make the reservations early so you don't miss out and the hotel won't hold all 40 rooms forever.

Do not wait this year. Book it now and you can cancel up to 24 hours before Oct. 17th. Get it booked and reserved, then if you have to cancel you can, but if you wait again then you may not be staying with the rest of us and at your own peril for rates and possibly a different hotel. They book darn near the whole town in October.

Tell them you are with the "CT Group" your reference and the rate is $66 a night. We will arrive Thursday morning, Oct. 17th. and head home Oct. 20th. Sunday or Monday morning. Breakfast is free in the mornings. This hotel has not only a continental breakfast, but a full breakfast.

I talked to the people at the Ranch House Grill and they will cater our evening meals again. We will have evening meals together Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Holiday Inn Express PAGE-LAKE POWELLy

Ask for Courtney

751 South Navajo Drive, Page, AZ 86040

928-645-9000

We will fly into the Page airport - KPGA.

We are staying with Classic FBO and with our group we should get a 30 cent discount on fuel.

Classic is not the first FBO next to the runway, but the second one behind them.

The Antelope Canyon tour and the Dam tour is open if anyone wants. These are land tours.

You guys are welcome to invite other planes that are not CT's and everyone is welcome. Find some more LSA's.

I will develop GPS coordinates for all our routes and post them so you can enter them in your own GPS. I have a plan to better deal with all our planes for our flights so they are not crowded in the mornings or evenings.

Don't miss this, we always have fun.

p.s. biggrin.gif

I would like everyone coming to shoot me an email so I can put together a roster, make name tags and set up call signs like we did last year. If you attended last year and we had your personal info then just say you are coming. If you did not come last year then I would like the email to include: N#, Names of you and co-pilot, cell phone number, city, state.

This is a big help for me to last year to organize our fly outs since we have so many planes and gives old friends and new friends a way to contact each other if need be.

Thanks,

Roger Lee

Something new has been added. (This was lots of fun last year)

A 1/2 day raft trip on Wed. Oct. 16th from Glen Canyon Dam down to Lee's Ferry.

The trip starts in Page (at 1100 hrs) where we will take a shuttle bus down below the dam. We will board a 20-22 person raft and travel down river for about 1.5 hrs. and get out for drinks and photos. Then back in and on down to Lee's Ferry. We board a bus that takes us back to Page and arrive around 1600-1630 hrs. There is no white water just a nice trip down through the canyons. The cost for all of this is $87 a person. The phone number for the reservations is 928-645-9175.

Don't be left out, I know of at least 6 people that have already signed up so don't be late to make the boat, sign up now. They have a 48 hr. cancellation policy and you get it all back except a $7 charge. This means you will have to arrive in Page Oct. 15th.

BRING YOUR HAT, SUNGLASSES AND SUNSCREEN.

Here is the link: http://raftthecanyon...day-raft-trips/

What else is new?

We will fly all our routes in reverse this year to offer a big change in scenery.

We are going to do the Grand Canyon flight in reverse. We will enter the flight corridor on the west end and come back to the east. As we come out of the North east corridor we will land at Marble Canyon strip where we will have breakfast at their restaurant.

What are you waiting for, let's go, I'm already signed up. ;)

People that have sent Roger an email saying they are coming:

Roger Lee

Ron Kreinkamp

Jacques Gagne

John-Olav Johnsen

Gregg Solove

Dick Johnson

Duane Jeffs

Larry Jeffs

Craig Foltz

Dave Fleming

Ernie Bitten

Mack Brame

Tim Greer

Tom Covell

Greg Copeland

Al Meyer

Philip Welsch

Darryl Swenson

Wayne Ferson

Bob Hall

Mike Koerner

General flight routes. Not etched into stone so we can deviate for scenery.

Page 2013 Flights.pdf

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who haven't attended this event in the past and perhaps wonder about all these people you've never met (and perhaps think "gosh, I wouldn't know anybody".) Fret NOT!

My bride and I attended this event last October for the first time and "didn't know anybody". This group welcomed us like new rich relatives. Everyone we met was warm and friendly and insisted that we join them in practically everything. Our newness wore off in just a few minutes. We were practically Old Friends by day 2.

Please come and meet some truly great people...and they all talk "airplane".

For those of you who haven't attended this event in the past and perhaps wonder about all these people you've never met (and perhaps think "gosh, I wouldn't know anybody".) Fret NOT!

My bride and I attended this event last October for the first time and "didn't know anybody". This group welcomed us like new rich relatives. Everyone we met was warm and friendly and insisted that we join them in practically everything. Our newness wore off in just a few minutes. We were practically Old Friends by day 2.

Please come and meet some truly great people...and they all talk "airplane".

hi Ron,

thats NICE !!

Roger, Cathy and I plan on coming again. It's a fantastic vacation and something everyone would love.

When I tried to make reservations they said the dates blocked off were the nights of the 17th through the 20th. Only those four nights. They would not allow check in on the 16 at our special rate. Since you have suggested the raft trip again on the 16th, I think the Hotel may have misunderstood your request.

Hi Duane,

They said coming a day or two early or staying a day later at our price was not a problem. I'll call them and remind them.

Update*

Duane,

I talked to them today and there is no problem. You can double check, but I add your two days.

Everyone coming please make sure you send me your personal info even if you have attended before in case something has changed or you didn't come last year. I need to make sure it is all correct.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

The CT fly-in loops are a good start. Some of the Lodges and Parks don't open until the end of March. The "have-to" list includes Lake Powell and Monument Valley, either as separate trips, or one big loop. You can stop at Gouldings airstrip, UT25, for a break. Other possibilities would have to include Bryce/Zion (with a meal at Rubys), Marble Canyon, and of course, the Grand Canyon. At the CT Fly-in we swing down one corridor and come back another. Some have taken a break at VALLE, and took in the museum. By late March Escalante UT should be out of hibernation and is another nice place to visit as part of a loop. Providing the lodge/restaurant is open, a nice breakfast or lunch run could be made to Bullfrog Marina U07. They'll pick you up at the airport. There are so many visually stunning places that it would be hard to name them all. Some folks are totally happy with a quick pass at altitude, others want to do it at 1,000 AGL or lower.

Like Spring everywhere, some days can be a bit windy... Page historical weather

Any other ideas?

Tim

Evening All: Well, it looks a though Nancy and I will miss the Page fly-in again. It seems that the Recce Association i (USAF F-4s, RF-101a, RF 84Fs, RF 104s, etc. well you get the idea) is having a reunion here in Destin, Fl 18-20 October and chance to or RATHER the LURE of seeing old friends (in many cases really old friends), telling and listening to amazing tales of daring do--in combat, special missions, and simply flying around. Sorry, I had Nancy primed for this year, but the Recce Pukes turned up and.... Well I get the chance to give great tours of the National Museum of Naval Aviation, which is do in a really spectacular Aviation Museum.

Bottomline is that if you get any near Pensacola, call me and I will do 8 hours of show and tell without repeating myself. In closing, again I am sorry we will not be at Page this year, but as an old (sic) Brooklyn Dodger fan, "there's always next year." See ya, Dr. Ken and Nancy Nolde, N840KN

• 1 month later...

What's holding you back. Time to make those reservations. Tell the boss your on vacation Oct. 17th-20th.

I do update the attendees from time to time on the first post.

Everyone coming please make sure you send me your personal info even if you have attended before in case something has changed or you didn't come last year. I need to make sure it is all correct.

Thanks

This post was moved from the GPS thread.

We have a new Page, AZ attendee. Let's show him and his wife our famous hospitality.

norgate3 (LocationMilford, Pennsylvania)

We're Looking to go to the Page fly-in in October and was hoping that We could join up with someone.

Were in north-eastern PA and was wondering if anyone from this area was flying down.

I heard from Roger that Bob Casey and a few others were located in Shelby. We could fly there and tag along in our S4 if that would be accptable.

This sounds like a great fly-in that I'm sure my wife and I would enjoy.

Rich

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Summer is here and just around the corner the Page Fly-In in October. Time to make those reservations before it's too late. Plan to runaway from work for a few days. Let other people here know your coming from a certain area and maybe you can fly in a group out to page.

Make those reservations soon and email me with the info requested above. We usually have 38-40 planes on the ramp and we are the largest fly in group at page each year. If you haven't been there is nothing like it. It's not like any other fly in and the wives have just as much fun as the men.

If you have any questions please give me a call.

I guess we'll have to scratch breakfast flights into Marble Canyon off our list for this year... the Marble Canyon Lodge burned down last night. The restaurant and lodge were right across the street from the airstrip. :( :( :(

There is another breakfast place, but it's a few miles down the road, and transportation would be an issue...

tim

Hi Andy,

Absolutely join in. There are rooms. I usually reserve 40 and will may go over, but we usually have 3-5 drop at the last couple of weeks due to weather or personal reasons. We end up with 36-39 rooms as a rule.

Ask these guys here that have been. It's a great time for husbands, wives, pilots and co-pilots. It's more like a giant family reunion than a fly in. The scenery isn't too bad either.

Also you can let every one know you are coming and hook up with them and fly out together.

Archived