incredibly frustrated

TheRaven

Not sure I get what you're saying. Let me echo what Jim just posted...

In a crossing landing, ideally you roll on the upwind wheel with bank controlling drift and rudder controlling runway alignment. On touchdown, nothing really needs to be changed - normally as you slow control inputs increase, not decrease.

I've found zero reason in a GA aircraft to try to land level, or with the rudder "unfooted".

Large jets with nacelle mounted engines may need to land wings level to avoid dragging a nacelle, but tat's a whole 'nother story.

Eddie,

No need for wings level in the CT, you commented on a video I posted where the CT pilot was doing touch and goes on one wheel. Un-footing the rudder is sometimes needed. For me a full stall landing with stick against the stop will likely get my nose wheel cocked by the time it settles and cause an unwanted turn.

In an 05 CT you might even have to force the rudder/nose wheel back because it can stick at full deflection.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Un-footing the rudder is sometimes needed. For me a full stall landing with stick against the stop will likely get my nose wheel cocked by the time it settles and cause an unwanted turn

Neutralizing the rudder just before touchdown doesn't have anything to do with the flare. Both mains are already on the ground - the flare is already over.

Jim,

I'm not agreeing that flaring gets harder I'm responding to what Eddie said.

...I've found zero reason in a GA aircraft to try to land level, or with the rudder "unfooted"...

Most CT landings even with 30 degree flaps track pretty strait when the nose wheel settles. On crosswind landings if a maximum amount of aerodynamic braking is used, as I slow to minimum speed but before the nose settles I might achieve full rudder deflection while I am aligned and tracking the center line. If this occurs and I don't correct the nose-wheel position prior to settling I will turn downwind when the nose wheel contacts.

CT

I think we're having a communication question on "landing". For crosswind, we should probably all agree we are going to enter a flare and touch down with the upwind main, then slow until the downwind main touches, and eventually the nose will drop.

Unless we are doing a crab and kickout, we will enter the flare from a slip with the upwind wing down. We'll touch the upwind main with the upwind wing down. The other main will settle and the wings will be level but we may be holding appropriate rudder against the weathervaning effect of the crosswind and to aid in directional controllability.

We want the rudder neutralized when the nose wheel touches down because if we don't we'll head for the weeds and we will also put quite a side load and wear the slot in the $2800 nose wheel assembly. Don't want to get it sloppy and introduce shimmy.

Does that put us all on the same sheet of music?

• 5 weeks later...

Well this is going to be a complete non sequitur based on the direction this thread has taken, but seeing as how I started it, I thought it would be as good a place as any to announce that I finally soloed! All it took was one weekend at a different airport with a different instructor, suddenly there was a plan in place and the next weekend I was ready to try it on my own. Unfortunately due to changing winds I got only one landing in, and I'm sure it wasn't very pretty, but it still counts! :D I can't say enough good things about the folks at 7B2!

Well this is going to be a complete non sequitur based on the direction this thread has taken, but seeing as how I started it, I thought it would be as good a place as any to announce that I finally soloed! All it took was one weekend at a different airport with a different instructor, suddenly there was a plan in place and the next weekend I was ready to try it on my own. Unfortunately due to changing winds I got only one landing in, and I'm sure it wasn't very pretty, but it still counts! :D I can't say enough good things about the folks at 7B2!

Fantastic! So glad you didn't give up when you were so close! Great job and keep it up!

Yep. Its all about getting the right school and right instructor. You can waste a lot of time and money with the wrong guy.

I wish I had figured that out about $7,000 ago! But I've learned from my mistakes and have moved on. I'm just happy I finally found a place that seems to value me as a customer, as a student pilot, and as a person.

Congratulations!

Glad things are coming together.

Hang in there.

Fantastic! So glad you didn't give up when you were so close! Great job and keep it up!

Thanks! I have to say, it was great finding this forum and getting everyone's opinions, tips and advice! I really appreciate it all, and hope I'll get to meet some of you someday.

Archived