AOPA Flight Planner

rookie

Anybody have any idea what happened to AOPA Flight Planner. Today I logged in to do some planning and found this new monstrosity called FlyQ. All I have on my screen is a partial map of the US and a bunch chicken scratching. Can't do anything with it and can't get to the old Flight Planner. If this is AOPA's idea of an improvement I'll drop my membership in a heart beat. What really ticks me off is this WAS my favorite planner, now I have to find a new one.

Update on AOPA Flight planner, part of the problem was Windows 8 however once I got it working it does not have many of the layering options the old one had and all my previous plans are not available, at least as far as I can tell.

Your right! Its changed like in the past few days. It sucks!! All my stored routes are gone and it appears your planning a vfr flight on a ifr chart. It will take some getting used to. I'm going to call them tomorrow, see if there is a "check out" on the program.

How rude of AOPA... erased all stored aircraft, erased all stored flight plans... no email warning... (at least that I saw). Isn't even a VFR terrain overlay!? Looks like a case of "Ready, Shoot, Aim"

AOPA developers are on the Red Forum and have admitted the program was released way too early. Lot's of bugs... but they are scrambling to fix them. Stored info and plans should show up again soon. Apparently, their deal with Jeppesen was over and the plug got pulled before the replacement product was ready. At this point, I'm not sure I'd trust the info on the system. At least double-check using another service, like Fltplan.com

Tim

Can't tell if your sarcastic or not. What planning software are you using Adam? Do you just hang around the County down there?

The thread was titled "AOPA Flight Planner" so I was talking about the AOPA Flight Planning software (on Aopa.org under "Flight Planning") which I used frequently, had multiple aircraft profiles stored in and many flight plans already stored in their system... When they changed to the new software, they erased all user information that was stored rather than carry the information forward. In addition it looks like the overlays are very limited. I'm a VFR Pilot yet I see no terrain overlay, no ability to add roads or any other landmark data. They new system is pretty worthless for my needs. I wasn't being sarcastic so much as just stating the facts that the AOPA's new flight planning software on their website is highly limited and I'm now going to have to find an alternate program to use.

I have fltplan.com mobile on my phone and tablet. It depends on what you do with the apps, but, I find AviationMaps is great for planning. It also has nexrad, metars, airmets, sigmets, winds, etc., etc. You can measure, and draw on the maps if you have a need to. Mark out your route and it shows up as a line on the sectional. Anyway, I don't work for them or anything. I have just been using it long enough to see a ton of improvements, and to be impressed. I think it is the best available for Android, although I have to say I haven't checked out the Garmin app lately. When it was new I wasn't impressed.

I might do that, but if they are like most, the android version is lagging behind the iPhone - even though android is now outselling them. The other issue may be that I won't be able to try it again. I can't think of anything it might do that I can't already do, that I need.

• 2 weeks later...

I use fltplan.com seems pretty easy - nice app

Fltplan was my favorite when I flew a lot of IFR. I still use it, but now when I make longer trips and want breaks, I end up using the Fuel Planner function of AirNav to pick my stop spots. I wish I could do that in the basic flight planner.

I like the ability of Fltplan to show different ETE at various altitudes.

I never did like the AOPA planner much, but maybe wasn't well enough versed on how to use it. I can't get enthused about Foreflight as a trip planner.

FWIW. Sagetech will begin shipping Clarity ADS-B receivers on Friday,March 29th. At long last I will be able to see what others have been seeing with the Stratus,Garmin GDL-39,Dual etc.Will report later on how the S.V. works with the I-Pad. If you want to see this one ,the site is www.sagetechcorp.com

They, like the Garmin, have both frequencies so you can see any aircraft emitting within range without going through the ground station. I think this is a nice feature in some parts of the country where ground station comverage may not be as good as desired.

• 4 weeks later...

For what it’s worth APOAs FlyQ is MUCH improved, and none too soon. I think I still prefer the old Flight Planner however as I get more familiar with FlyQ and when they finally complete it I may even like it better.

Archived