fibreglass breaks down

floats

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corey - what provides the mass in your stabilator pivot counterweight?  

Haven't looked, but I just checked my manual and apparently I use lead shot too if the manual is correct!

We both have silly planes :)

The glue is epoxy, according to the manual. How it should be done is lead plates that are bolted in... but shot in epoxy? I'm going to say this is downright stupid because if you need to remove shot, it would have to be done with a freaking mill!

Now you see that adding or subtracting stick on weights make the job easier and quicker and just as safe.

The weights don't touch or interfere with anything. When put on correctly they won't come off and need to be pried off if you need to remove them.

Making things easier and more functional at times means not over thinking and complicating an already easy process.

Now you see that adding or subtracting stick on weights make the job easier and quicker and just as safe.

The weights don't touch or interfere with anything. When put on correctly they won't come off and need to be pried off if you need to remove them.

Making things easier and more functional at times means not over thinking and complicating an already easy process.

Roger, I am frequently simply puzzled that you sometimes tell people to do maintenance strictly by the manual, sometimes by what you claim to have been taught in a classroom, and sometimes based on your contention such as here that it is "just as safe" and "easier and more functional". Tell me, are you a disciple of Ralph Waldo Emerson?

Jim,

The manuals are not absolute, rarely get changed and sometimes miss the boat from European translation and factory experience compared to years of field use experience that MFG's don't get. Their changes come from years of our experience and trails and errors.

If it wasn't for me stepping outside the box over these years and doing this research you wouldn't have half the info and LOA's about CT's you have now. Matco brakes didn't come from FD. Even simple things like wheel pant trimming LOA didn't come from FD.

Yes I read a lot and love RW Emerson. He likes lots of wiggle room in his literature and so do I.

No substitute for experience and schooling. You'll be even more happy to know I'm going back to school in Nassau for a week to further that education. Then I'll have an even better surprise for you.

p.s.

Many of the times you have quoted some author on a tech article or referred that article to someone.

Thank You   ;)

RWE hides in many forms

Hi Tom,

This is just an option and you can stick to the manual.

That foam won't break down unless you do something to it like a solvent and it will out last most of us. I would bet money for a minimum of 15 years. If you don't like the foam then use some epoxy. We don't need to think inside the box. If you don't have any shot then put the tire weights inside. Lead shot was used because it takes little space and it's heavy for its volume. Any lead will work.

Those little balls are tricky to drill out.  I am not even sure that after removing all of them I will balance as I have to put back the steel cover which is quite heavy. I might have to ask FD if I can drill in the big mass.  Just to bad that there are no instruction to balance this model

post-159-0-49029800-1428000490_thumb.jpg

All pellets removed, or most of them even with a drill the ones sticking on the side are not easy to remove.  Then I drilled several holes in the main mass bu it is not enough yet.  I am quite surprised that this stabilator would be that much lighter than my old one.

post-159-0-78801600-1428009625_thumb.jpg

This is why I don't think I'm a fan of epoxying the lead shot in place. There are other ways to secure them and I don't even see why they need the epoxy to hold them in place anyway. Where do they think they are going inside that compartment. No reason to used lead shot. You could use the lead stick on tire weights without the foam back. You only need the weight it doesn't have to be just lead shot.

Funny that said I have 3x 25 lb. bags of lead shot here for my shotgun shell reloading and I would still use the other weights. I bet they wanted the epoxy because of the small shot size. Use the large tire weights (1/4 oz) and no epoxy needed.

One extra comment : the maintenance manual indicates that after balancing around it axle the stabilator should return to the neutral position. Mine will not do that. If I put it fully balanced it will remain in the neutral position . But if I push it up or down it will stay up or down like a see saw in a children park, it won't come back neutral on its own.

The manual is referring to the stabilator returning to horizontal while still on the bench in the fixture.  Installed in the plane and connected to the teleflex, my stab stays where it's last put unless I push it full up or down.  Then it will relax some but it will not go back to horizontal.  Probably due to the friction of the teleflex cable and other parts of the system.  IMy stab was balanced on the bench same as you did and this was all that FD Germany required my repair facility to do.  The remaining step you must take is to perform a flight test and verify your CT performs in the different pitch trim conditions as spelled out by the directions given in the SB   You may need to adjust the length of the trim tab actuation rods to achieve the air speeds the SB requires.

There is an extra spring in some 2007 CTSWs that is also in the CTLS that prevents the stabilator from sitting neutral. Instead the stick will fall full forward when released. My 2007 has this. The spring is located under the throttle & choke lever tray. It supposedly helps improve control feel.

On takeoff roll aerodynamics overcome the spring tension and the stab goes to neutral-ish.

There is an extra spring in some 2007 CTSWs that is also in the CTLS that prevents the stabilator from sitting neutral. Instead the stick will fall full forward when released. My 2007 has this. The spring is located under the throttle & choke lever tray. It supposedly helps improve control feel.

On takeoff roll aerodynamics overcome the spring tension and the stab goes to neutral-ish.

Did you test yours on a bench ?

Archived