What to bring for a lesson?

pat

I'm about to resume my training at another school. I used to carry the whole big bag of books with me but I don't think it's necessary. What are the essentials to bring for a lesson.

Maybe the first day bring most things to be prepared, but after that just ask the instructor what will be necessary for each lesson after that. One lesson maybe ground instruction on maps and regs, maybe another will be just touch and go's and the next a cross country. It should vary and so should the materials needed.

The thing that should always accompany you is a positive relaxed attitude. Making it fun makes it easier.

It will vary some with each lesson but in general bring your logbook, photo ID, and your student pilot certificate. We provide our students with headsets, but some places don't so bring that if not. We also use a training folder to track lessons and progress so I would expect to see that as well. We like to see a weather briefing jotted down as training progresses. If your doing cross country training then your e6b, plotter and planning. I love to see students come in with questions! And a wallet is nice too!

Thanks for the input. I have my own headset, wallet (not very fat) log book, student pilot certificate. I'll bring the whole bag of books with me but leave them in the truck unless the instructor says otherwise. Call me a wimp but i like soft soled shoes for the pedal feel. When I drove stock cars the racing shoes are very soft bottomed for the same reason.

Ultimately Pat, re the shoes its whatever you are comfortable with, likewise other clothing, there's enough stress in a flying lesson without having to worry about being too hot, too cold etc.

FWIW I find the rudder bars on the CTLS easier to manage when wearing hard soled shoes, but I operate from a very narrow grass strip and I find the turning circle of the CTLS a tad challenging - steering on the ground on grass is just easier with boots on!

I would suggest becoming a member of one of the various student pilot websites. Studentpilot.com is one. Also become a member or AOPA OR EAA OR BOTH.You will find "answers/opinions" to all of the questions your going to have as you progress thru your training.

The only opinion I can give is bring to the lesson only the things which are required for successful completion of the lesson. You should ask your instructor what you will need prior to each lesson. No sense in dragging around a flight bag filled with 40 Pounds of goodies that you may or may not use.

You can save a ton of money buying items off EBay. I only wish it was around when I got my ticket.

Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions. Remember there are no dumb questions.

As a Flight Instructor I'm always surprised when a student shows up without a pen or pencil and paper. We do discuss this in the beginning and I recommend they always have pen and paper handy, but not all do it. Not that I have that many "pearls of wisdom" for them in each lesson, but there are some. And it helps to jot down the ATIS, taxi clearance, frequencies. It seems that if it is written down you remember it and don't need to look, but if it is not written down you will forget it. Also, depending on where you are training I'd also suggest a paper copy of the airport diagram as a backup if the electronic version fails. Easy and cheap to print from the internet.

Archived