Engine oil running 230 today

Scrapman1959

I don't have a problem, per se, just have oil temps higher than I would like to see. Max I've ever had was 250F on climb with ground temps well over 100F with the temperature not dropping into the 80's until 5000' AGL. Cruise at 5000rpm in this was 240F. My normal summer Dallas-area cruise oil temps are 230-235F. On climb, I'll level out if the temp gets into the 240s. CHT/EGT are always in the green. From all various sources, my temps are nothing to be alarmed about but I'd still like them to be 10 degrees cooler (yellow tends to make my passenger nervous :) ).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris and Dave,

My plane behaves the same...talked to FD today and I must say got a great level of attention. Really hoping to get this resolved....thanks for your efforts Chris...anxious to see your solution.

I've learned that there are many other designs that have the same oil temperature issues. I googled and read on the subject for 2 hours.

Many have come to the conclusion that temperatures between 230 and 266 are no big concern as long as you don't operate there most of the time.

Most oil companies prefer temperatures below 230 and most agree that high temperatures call for synthetic oil.

I also learned that an installation with high temperatures will normalize if flown without the cowling and that makes me think that the airflow in the cowling is at issue.

Interesting quote from Vans forum

In talking to Ronny Smith, South Mississippi Light Aircraft / Rotax Service Center that your temps are fine. Climb out temps to 260 and settling back to 230 on cruise is totally acceptable and normal according to Ronny. Run a good semi synthetic oil and change it when due. I have been able to lower my temps slightly with the heat shield by an average of 8-15F.

I cannot get my oil temp to settle at 230 unles the OAT is below 70F

• 2 years later...

I realize that this thread is on the older side, but I am suffering from similar issues. My 2012 CTLS has 165 hours. This Summer, I've noticed my oil temps are significantly hotter than last year. I've done all the suggested troubleshooting and know that this is truly a temp and not a sensor issue. No kinked oil lines, swapped the oil tstat, radiator lined up in the intake, etc. The only thing left is the oil cooler, as far as I can see. (I am aware of the incident with yellow plastic coming out of a relatively new unit after power flushing)

I see that a number of my fellow CT pilot experienced this bizarre behavior of being fine for the first couple of hundred hours, then wham!, high oil temps. What did you all do to fix the problem?

FYI, I'm seeing 250F+ by the time I climb to 4000MSL (off of a 1235MSL field). OATs in the 80F range. After 5-10 minutes at level cruise (5100), I'm only down to the high 230s/low 240s.

My next step is to address the oil cooler, but I thought I'd see what feedback I get here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

:thinking-1376:

Sending out my radiator to be power washed had a positive effect.  I believe the radiator was back to new condition and my temps did come down but it did not return to a new condition.

There is still a missing variable to be addressed but no-one can identify it.

If I have to deal with this again I will go for the higher-capacity cooler.  Expensive from flight design but could be done for far less by mating the coolers yourself.

250°F at the conditions you describe is too hot, since air temps are not excessive and you were not in a long climb.  250 is getting close to the 268 max.  Check all your hoses for kinks, and maybe consider flushing the oil cooler and/or radiator as CT described.  Have you changed oil type recently?

For comparison, over the summer at ground OATs of 90-95°F on long climbs (to 7500-9500ft) I'd see 230°F commonly and 240°F occasionally.  Leveling off the temps would come back down to 200-220°F.  This was with two people at max gross weight.  

None of the above scared me, I knew I was pushing it hard and it was hot outside.  Seeing 250°F in a climb to 4000ft with OAT at 80ish, and low 240s in cruise there would scare me a little.  In level cruise in those conditions I often see 180-200°F...

We've never had a problem in the two engines near tbo. I haven't cleaned any of our radiators out, and we're no where near the temps you describe either except in really hot days, but still, I don't think I've seen 230.

Blow air through the fins of the radiator and shine a flashlight from the other side. See if it is obstructed.

If you have a thermostat, bypass it and see if it continues.

Corey,

In the far west its common to have an initial 8-10,000' climb.  If I was flying in Ohio I would probably stop climbing before I got hot most of the time.

The profile below is a typical flight home for me from a burger run, the initial climb will show if  a  cooling deficiency has developed.  

post-6-0-45402400-1443378710_thumb.jpg

I have always gotten the low yellow range on Vy climbs in the summer at density altitudes of 7k plus and 80f OAT.  In a new aircraft.   The oil temp drops rapidly after leveling out.

The condition was true before the sport upgrade and before I switched to Mobil 1 4t motorocycle racing all synthetic.  And still occurs on occasion in those conditions.  The mechanics say it burns off any water in the oil and is normal.

The time to worry is if you get the yellow range on level cruise or idling on the ground IMHO.

My experience has been similar to Kevin's on the oil temps, and with over 1100 hours on the bird I too have tried everything that even Roger Lee could think of.

At 30C oat (86F) I will cruise at the bottom of the yellow, and the oil temps go up about one for one

with the OAT above that. I used to power back to keep the temp below 250, even go to flaps zero and/or stop the climb in the extremes. This summer I tried a new strategy - keep the power full in to keep

the mixture rich, and lower the nose for an extremely shallow cruise climb at about 105 knots indicated and 5350 rpm. I was able to get to altitude before I went above 245 on the oil on all my trips this

summer, even with OATs near 100F. Its not ideal, but my best solution so far. WF

My experience has been similar to Kevin's on the oil temps, and with over 1100 hours on the bird I too have tried everything that even Roger Lee could think of.At 30C oat (86F) I will cruise at the bottom of the yellow, and the oil temps go up about one for onewith the OAT above that. I used to power back to keep the temp below 250, even go to flaps zero and/or stop the climb in the extremes. This summer I tried a new strategy - keep the power full in to keepthe mixture rich, and lower the nose for an extremely shallow cruise climb at about 105 knots indicated and 5350 rpm. I was able to get to altitude before I went above 245 on the oil on all my trips thissummer, even with OATs near 100F. Its not ideal, but my best solution so far. WF

Wayne,

Did you have your oil cooler power flushed?

When flying the other day I turned off the avionics master and the analog oil temp instantly dropped 10 degrees. I was able to repeat this at any time. When I have time I will look into it, there may be some ac voltage in the avionics wire bundles which can cause this. Probably separating the thermocouple wire from the bundle and using shielded wire with one shielded end grounded may eliminate this issue. This is a common problem on aircraft avionics which incorporate ac voltage.This may not be common to other ct's, however just an observation on my part.

There isn't AC power voltage on any of the lines in a carb CT except on the leads from the regulator rectifier to the magneto-generator. You're really only going to find any AC power in bizjets and airliners. Still, fluctuating DC power can induce voltage on nearby lines just the same. There is a lot of fluctuating DC and sometimes poor electrical routing causing floating voltages. That said though, make sure that there isn't a current leaking through your analog gauge's case (or sensor lead) to ground. Even a tiny bit will affect the reading, a lot more so than the relatively tiny power fluctuations in our aircraft. If you want to test the fluctuating voltage theory, use a giant capacitor and hook it into the system to smooth out the fluctuations. That will at least confirm if fluctuations or the cause, or if something else is the problem.

That is, assuming you are using a thermistor type (default oil temp sensor on rotax) and a not thermocouple type sensor.

Hi Madhatter,

Our oil temp senders are very sensitive to slight changes in resistance. I would bet many would see this. The results with all others will also depend on how well each plane is grounded.. Some may be a tad better than others and the drop would then be affected.

Archived