Recon Jet integrates heads-up display

Ed Cesnalis

Recon Jet integrates heads-up display with sports sunglasses, challenges Google Glass

The Recon Jet reveal at Google I/O will give developers the chance to see what the new glasses can do, with Recon looking for third-party app integration with an SDK and API available.

For more information, visit http://reconinstruments.com/jet/

Recon Jet is an activity specific heads-up display with a truly open platform that delivers information instantly, effortlessly and unobtrusively direct to the user's eye via a microcomputer and high-resolution widescreen display. Jet has a dual core processor, dedicated graphics, Wi-Fi, ANT+, Bluetooth, GPS, HD camera, and a comprehensive suite of sensors. All of this is mounted on a precision-engineered, fashionable pair of sunglasses on par with the best in the world.

I was thinking of getting my entire panel to display on the HUDIS.

I need an AOA indicator too. I was doing landings 2 days ago at 950lbs Gross. At that light weight I am prone to raise the nose a bit early. This results in my mains touching and increasing my AOA and the result is a very soft bounce. If I had AOA I would probably be over the numbers at less than 50kts.

I have an AOA on the Dynon, but it is hard to see on the screen and way too low at a time when one's eyes should be outside the cockpit. On the Citation, the AOA was higher and clearer, plus there was a copilot with another pair of eyes.

I've decided your right. Then I saw this post from Don Alexander, I think he's right on.

I can see possibilities here for improving traffic awareness, especially after the ADS-b out requirements become effective. If I were looking for a better place to mount an AOA indicator, this would seem to be the perfect place. HITS would be interesting here, too. Airspace depictions might be valuable too, particularly in and around areas like the Washington DC SFRA.

Basic flight data though, not so interesting (at least to me).

We're all talking VFR, and quite naturally so. If it were an IFR model, I'd like a Flight Director in the HUD, although I will grant that head down is OK when you're solid.

If we are going to get fancy, someone should build a projected display covering the entire field of vision, with a head position sensor. With that you could get synthetic vision in whatever direction the pilot is looking...basically VFR while IFR. Add in traffic, obstacles, and a highway in the sky for whatever procedure or flight plan you are flying, and there would be no need to ever take it off! :)

You're right! A full motion simulator and an HUD and all fantasies are realized in the comfort of the den. "Hey, honey, how about another long neck?!"

LOL! I take your point, something like that would divorce you from the actual experience of flying quite a bit. :)

I think if CT can get an LOA for a pair of Jato Rockets to take care of wild winds he faces, you should be able to get one to install a moveable turret coupled to your glasses.

Use the same system that's on the Apache.

Archived