Bird Strike

Andy

I hit a bird a month ago flying at 1000 feet on a return trip from Calgary. It did quite a bit of

damage to my right wing. I covered the area with tape until I find someone who can repair it.

At the time of the bird strike, did you have your landing light turned on?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying just to get a new canopy is appearing to be quite a problem. I'm working through Airtime and FD USA doesn't have a line on one and I was told this morning there is no stock at the factory, either. So, right now, Tom's trying to determine what the future for getting the part looks like.

If anyone has a line on where we might get our hands on a new canopy, please drop me a line at: andy@flylittleeagles.com.

Thanks.

Don't know whether it's that (which is what it sounds like) or whether it's just bad timing. The word I have at the moment is that it's going to take us 6 weeks to get a windshield. FD USA and Airtime are doing what they can..it just doesn't bode well...

Need to add something to that...just "chatted" with Dave Armando. The 6 week time frame is what it will take to get a windshield with no stock and no outstanding orders. FD USA had an order in and they're getting us a priority on that, so I'm waiting to here what the wait time actually is. Hopefully, it won't be that long and we can get to flying before we bleed out of funds or a hurricane hits...

I view the situation as a lesson about the LSA sector in general. Imagine how hard it would be to get a windshield for most of the other LSAs out there... 20-30 planes in the country, maybe even 2-3 versions over the years, no service centers, no expertise. At least FDUSA carries stock, not every part, but lots of parts. I view FD Germany as a backup. But there are, what, 1700+ CTs flying around the World?

Tim

FWIW here in the UK (allegedly in Europe) Flight Design take an age to supply parts - I've been waiting for the bit of trim that goes around the door latch handle for over 8 weeks now and the UK supplier says that is not un-typical, he's had some parts on order for more than a year! All a bit disappointing.

• 4 weeks later...

No. Frankly, I believe the airplane is structurally sound but FD considers the windshield as part of the structure. I don't believe she's legally flyable except with a ferry permit.

FWIW, I had a small crack in the windshield which FD said it was OK to stop drill and continue flying. It seems that it is not automatic that a windshield problem would put the plane down if this is an example.

FWIW, I had a small crack in the windshield which FD said it was OK to stop drill and continue flying. It seems that it is not automatic that a windshield problem would put the plane down if this is an example.

Jim, did you have to use a special acrylic drill bit? Sometimes drilling with a standard drill bit can *cause* cracking in plexiglass...

I agree with your comment, Jim. Even with the hole we had, with no damage to the rest of the windshield and it being bonded to the fuselage, I really couldn't convince myself the airplane wasn't safe to fly. I just couldn't get anyone to step up to the plate to say so and needed to get the repair done anyway, so the most conservative (and most painful) thing to do was to treat it as unairworthy. To even attempt a repair, I was told by FD USA I had to get an MRA approved by the factory and that would take as long as getting the windshield itself.

There are bits designed for plexiglass. Sounds like you were lucky.

I was following the advice of a very experienced A&P who has worked a lot with plexiglass. I am not advocating anything, simply reporting what happened. If I had such a bit I would likely have used it. That said, if I didn't have such a bit I'd likely simply do what I did again. I don't have the feeling I was lucky.

I haven't had any issues drill plexi with a standard drill bit so long as it was slow, steady and light pressure and the plexi wasn't super thin. Tiny bits are safe most anytime, but start into the bigger bits and slow is definitely better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived