Resin nodules found in gascolator

I see that aux pump as required is for landings. I think that odd, landing configurations are go-around configurations ( with too much flaps ) so if its for landings shouldn't it be for take-offs as well? Its not like a lot of fuel is required for landings.

. . . "I fly as though an engine failure is far more likely when I retard the throttle than it is in cruise flight. I'm not sure how true it is." . . .

Statistically, it is a fact, that most engine failures occur during power changes.

If you aren't rated already, I think you would be a good helicopter pilot. :)

Statistically, it is a fact, that most engine failures occur during power changes.

Source for that?

I was told that early on, but later told it was an Old Wive's Tale.

All of my engine failures/issues/hiccups have occurred in cruise. And one right after takeoff, but again with fixed (full) power. There have been a fair number of Cirrus power failures, and I can't recall any occurring during a power change.

But if there are statistics, I'm ready to be convinced!

Ed - in my early days as a pilot (1965) the common teaching was that power failures are more likely to occur with a power reduction. Thus, don't make that first power reduction after takeoff until a certain altitude, etc.

I think this was probably true in the early days of aviation, such as before WWII but maybe not so much anymore. However, I suspect it is still true of 2 stroke - with which I have absolutely no experience except with my weed whacker :blush:. Nor do I have any facts on which to base any of these statements.

All I know is that it was always drummed into my head that I should always be able to make the runway on base and final if the engine should quit.

Dan,

Why three fuel pumps with such little time on the aircraft? Was yours originally equipped with the pumps that have just had the SB announced?

Rich

When I took delivery of the plane we did some training in it and then flew it down to Sebring. We had flaky fuel pressure reading almost immediately. At Sebring it had its 25 hour service. Lockwood changed out the fuel pump then as they thought the flaky fuel pressure readings were due to the pump. #2 worked fine all the way back to KORK but then started getting bad low pressure and high pressure readings, although the low were much more prevalent. On a couple of takeoff's about 100 feet up it went to zero a couple of times, but the engine never missed a beat. Anyway I got pretty good at turning on the aux pump, quickly. Lockwood would not agree to changing out this pump and Mark did a bunch of testing on the ground that Lockwood suggested. Anyway I was told (politely of course) to live with it and maybe it would sort it self out.

At my 100 hour service I was convinced that much of the problem was due to the VDO pressure sensor. I have the Dynon Skyview system so I checked into chaning out the VDO to the Kavlico sensor and got approval, so at my 100 hour engine service I had this sensor installed. On the engine runup after the service, the fuel pressure was over 7 psi at 4,000 rpm, so they decided to replace the fuel pump. I guess after 75 hours of sporatic behavior was enough of an indication that something wasn't right.

I now have about 160 hours on the engine and the Kavlico and the new pump have been rock solid (for 60 hours). The location of the fuel pressure sensor was also relocated to a vertical orientation high up on the firewall.

Anyone that has a Dynon system might want to consider switching to the Kavlico fuel (and oil) pressure sensors.

Hi Dan,

The majority of the time bad fuel and oil pressure indications are the senders. Lockwood should have done that first and not just replaced the fuel pump. Senders are $40 where they probably charged you the Rotax price of $240 plus labor @ $90 hr. It is easy enough to put a mechanical gauge on to check things like that. I won't say it is never the pump, but 80-90% of the time it is something other than the pump. (sender or grounding).

If the fuel pressure sender is mounted off the engine and up above the engine the senders may last for years. Letting them hang down low like FD does causes premature erratic indications. That old fuel sits day in and day out and never gets any fresh fuel through all those heating and cooling cycles. I remounted mine high above the engine and and wrapped it in fire sleeve. It has be dependable for years now. When someone comes into the shop with erratic fuel pressure I try to clean the senders orifice first then replace it if that doesn't work. Cleaning works 75% of the time.

I will say that VDO is not the most vibration resistant or reliable sender around.

Thanks Roger,

At that time everything was still under warranty and I think there was some concern that my original fuel pump was in the initial batch of the new design that had some that were producing too high of pressure. I know someone had to absorb the cost of the change but it wasn't me :) .

Also the Kavlico was only $95 which included the shipping, so for about 2.5x the VDO cost, I got a solid state sender that has a performance range of 0 - 15 psi (vs 0 - 30 psi for the VDO). The combination of the type of sender and the tighter scale greatly increased my confidence in the accuracy of the actual fuel pressure.

Hi Dan,

Sounds like it may have been a good move. A few solid state senders have been poor performing. When Rotax switched to the solid state Honeywell oil pressure sender they had a few problems. They have already changed again.

Hey Roger,

I have the Honeywell sender mounted directly on the engine. The original sender flamed out within the first 10 hours. When I bought the plane I did not have a license so I was training in the plane when shortly after takeoff the oil pressure went to zero, not low but nothing. Needless to say being a student pilot this was a little nerve wracking. Fortunately my instructor was very experienced. Also, I had attended the 2 day Rotax training course and learned that if the oil pump had truly failed then the oil temperature should start to rise almost immediately. I kept a pretty tight eye on this while my instructor brought the plane around and landed it. Once they switched out the Honeywell sender it has been solid for 140+ hours so far.

Original honeywell sender quit at five hour since new. Dynon displayed large red X, all other indications remained as expected so continued to a airport where repairs was possible. Replaced with same unit and 150 hours since. No problems. This was two years ago.

Farmer

Original honeywell sender quit at five hour since new. Dynon displayed large red X, all other indications remained as expected so continued to a airport where repairs was possible. Replaced with same unit and 150 hours since. No problems. This was two years ago.

Farmer

I didn't get a red X but the vertical bar graph went to 0.

Archived