autopilot installation

I am considering installation of an autopilot in my 2007 CTSW.

Going the Dynon route sounds like the easiest since only two servos are required and the D-100 can provide the brains. But, I have heard that there are problems with the servo fit. And, FD probably won't do an LOA but going ELSA would solve that.

The other option, which FD will approve, is Tru Track. But, parts alone from FD are $5100 then there is installation which I have heard is problematic on a plane that did not have a factory install.

I would like to hear from anyone who has gone, or attempted, or researched either route.

I have 2007 SW w Dynon display and trutrac I am thinking about changing to Dynon Skywatch w ads-b and the works. The equipment works great but I like the extras. Maybe some of my equipment will be for sale but I have not decided what to do or when.

I got my answer concerning Tru Trac. Apparently the attach point for the pitch servo under the pilots seat needs to be reinforced. Doesn't sound like a big deal.

Still haven't heard from anyone going the Dynon route.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2008 CTLS with the TruTrak, but will likely go to Dynon's AP when I upgrade the D-100/180 for a pair of 7" Skyview screen later this year. I talked to Dynon about the servos and they said they're are mechanically the same as TTs, but I would need FD's approval for the refit. Dynon's new Skyview will work with the TT AP just fine for track and heading, I just wouldn't have some of the better Dynon features like auto leveling. Since the newer CTs come with the Dynon AP as an option, I plan to submit a LOA request to FD by the end of the month and will let you all know what they say.

Hi Lee,

That's a fairly time consuming, work intensive conversion from the D100 to the Skyview system. Every wire and sensor needs to be changed. I don't see why FD wouldn't give you an LOA because I think Lockwood did one a year or two ago, but I think they used the Trutrak

Our TruTrak autopilot has operated flawlessly during our ownership and our plane interestingly has a switch which allows us to switch between the panel mounted 250xl and my Avmap EKPIV. I haven't seen this on another SW so i'm not sure if it was standard or not. It has some utility when I fly a multi point route and have the autopilot in GPS nav control. No matter how many times I try I just find route programming laborious in the Garmin. Like most things operator error is to blame.

I can sell you the full Digiflight II VS autopilot for MUCH cheaper than what Flight Design is quoting. Also, our new Vizion series will be available very soon. This series takes the very well known Digiflight II interface and packaging and adds altitude select and emergency AP leveling to the feature set. The Vizion is in beta testing right now and should be available within four weeks. Give me a call for a quote on the system. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

FYI... called TT about getting the old DigiFlight II rebuilt (screen lines problem). The rebuild now costs $700 with a one year warranty. For $1200, they'll give you the brand new Vizion with 3 yrs warranty. 'Drop in replacement.... guess it makes best sense to do the upgrade.

tim

• 2 weeks later...

Is Vizion approved by FD?

I don't have an answer on this one yet. It is a complete plug and play replacement with no change to the installation whatsoever. It adds several features though so a new LOA is probably needed. It does add an external emergency AP level button as well as altitude select functions.

Archived