CTLS accident

Patrnflyr

Anybody see this yet?

http://airsoc.com/articles/view/id/51da1fe19aad9d47360000a0/flight-design-ctls-accident-occurred-july-07-2013-in-kendall-county-illinois#.UdrBlazleSp

An 86-year-old man and his 83-year-old female passenger, both of Mundelein, were injured Sunday morning when the small plane he was piloting made and emergency landing in a Kendall County cornfield.

One person suffered minor injuries when a two-person propeller plane bound for Waukegan had to make an emergency landing west of Plano this morning, according to police.

Kendall County sheriff's officers were called to an area west of Cook Road near Sedgewick Road in unincorporated Kendall County about 10:53 a.m., following a report of a possible airplane accident, according to a news release from the sheriff's office. The pilot had reported engine trouble, an FAA spokesman said.

When emergency crews arrived, they found that a single-engine Flight Design CTLS plane had made an emergency landing, according to the release. The plane landed in a field in the area, said FAA spokesman Tony Molinaro.

One of the two people on board suffered minor injuries and was taken to Valley West Hospital for treatment. The other person was taken to the same hospital, but as a precaution, police said.

The airplane had taken off from a small airport near St. Louis and was headed to Waukegan, officials said. The plane is registered to a man in Mundelein, according to FAA records.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Engine trouble...it must not have been fuel injected. :ph34r:

Looks like the safety cell really did its job there, only minor injuries on relatively fragile 80+ year old people. After repairs for the gear collapse and some body work, it looks like that plane will be flying again.

Another account says: "A dispatcher from KenCom Public Safety Dispatch said the plane landed with its landing gear retracted. The aircraft was destroyed in the crash and investigators from the Federal Aviation Administration were en route to the scene late Sunday morning, according to KenCom dispatch transmissions.

Glad they are OK... Just once I'd like to get the details...

Tim

Yes, it was Dan and everyone is OK... the wife was shook up a bit when the plane spun at the end. I hope he posts his story here soon. He related that Dynon reported 0 fuel pressure. 16 gals of fuel on board at landing.

Great Piloting, Dan!

0 psi fuel pressure could be due to the dodgy rotax fuel pumps

Mike

Yes, it was Dan and everyone is OK... the wife was shook up a bit when the plane spun at the end. I hope he posts his story here soon. He related that Dynon reported 0 fuel pressure. 16 gals of fuel on board at landing.

Great Piloting, Dan!

never tried it but i wouldn't like to rely on gravity feed all the pumps that have failed here have caused the engine to stop

Mike

It could, but then I would think gravity feed would keep him going. I might suspect a fuel filter or fuel line blockage.

I suspect they might have set a new short field landing distance record.

Thankfully the corn around here (St. Louis) is not mature and might have even cushioned the landing. I have taught emergency landings many years and one spot I always advocated to avoid was a corn field. It is uneven ground and I would have thought it would have flipped the plane over when it hit the corn stalks. Mature ears of corn hit like softball size hail.

I was wondering why the chute wasn't utilized. Faced with a corn field landing, I would pull the chute every time.

I'm sure we can all learn from this accident report.

Dan did an outstanding job of bringing everyone home safe and after all, that is the bottom line.

I posted these test a while back in the maint. section.I did actual real time run test. (Inquiring minds want to know! <_< ) It was tested with pump still in line and the pump completely removed from the engine, but still connected to the fuel lines the engine will run a static of 4600-44700 rpm before it stumbles which should translate to about 5000+ rpm in flight. If you take both fuel lines off the fuel pump and put them together as a complete circuit the engine will run full throttle without a hiccup. This was only tested on the CT. The pumps fail open. The pump must be in normal operation for it to close off its one way internal valve to stop flow so it can create pressure out. A bad pump should not cause a total engine out in a CT. I'm sure other aircraft may differ.

This won't work in a fuel injected Rotax and if you lost power for any number of reasons the dual pumps are done.

Every CT owner has a personal stake in this crash investigation. The pilot had 16 gallons and zero fuel pressure. The airframe, engine and Dynon are all perfectly preserved. I eagerly await the NTSB report.

Every CT owner has a personal stake in this crash investigation. The pilot had 16 gallons and zero fuel pressure. The airframe, engine and Dynon are all perfectly preserved. I eagerly await the NTSB report.

I agree! Especially a new student like myself. Just very pleased to hear everyone is ok!!!

I talked to Dan yesterday, and I hope he doesn't mind me posting. He and his wife are OK, but a bit sore from the quick stop. I will wait for Dan to report what he thinks happened, or wait on the report from the NTSB. I do know that the airplane had a new style pump installed this past winter during the 5 year rubber replacement.

I don't think that winding up on your back with corn is somthing that happens often, but with beans that is another story. After talking with him I think the corn was the right choice.

From the Forum's Photo Gallery:

Dan reports the CT "safety cell" held up well, didn't deform, and doors opened freely. Pilot door would not open due to cornstalks pressing against door. Corn also likely cause of cracked co-pilot door window.

gallery_114_51_2281676.jpg

Tim

• 1 month later...
the pilot replied that he had never used carburetor heat in the six years that he had flown the accident airplane.

912 is not prone to carb ice. I think I will start using it for descents and landings like I did with the lycomings. I don't want to fail to use it when the time comes that I need it.

Archived