Zaon Collision Avoidance System

sandpiper

CT - I notice that you, and maybe others have Zaon's. Are they worth it?

My reason for asking is that yesterday I came as close as I ever have to a mid air. I think the only time I have been closer to another aircraft in flight is when I was flying for my uncle, Sam that is.

I know it was an RV, seemed to be defending from my 2 o'clock. I was climbing out of a traffic pattern having departed on the downwind and was south of the airport and about 1000' above pattern altitude. All my actions and intentions were self announced.

He came out of my blind spot from the wing root and emerged sort of stationary except getting bigger. I slammed forward stick and rolled left. He may have seen me at the same time as he appeared to roll to his left. A flash of color and that was it.

So, would the Zaon have helped? Provided he had a transponder?

So, would the Zaon have helped? Provided he had a transponder?

It could go either way, there are a number of variables. The display is a big one, at first my Zaon displayed traffic on its own screen and it was more cryptic, the info had to be interpreted much like flying steam gauges vs glass. Now I get a nice indicator plus data on my big map screen on my EIFIS that is on all the time. With this set up awareness is really intuitive but you do have to look at your panel to see it.

My Zaon displays traffic on my big map far far better than my 496 displays TIS traffic.

I don't add a scan of my map for traffic as much as I reference the map for traffic when I sense the need. The Zaon/Big\MovingMap solution provides near perfect awareness when you see the traffic. Not all traffic shows up and not all traffic displayed is seen by me.

If you install one and then attempt to prove that it doesn't always work you may have an easy time of it. Just when you think its not reliable enough you then benefit from it and become a fan.

'gotta agree.... doesn't show everything (and sometimes nothing), but it regularly alerts me to things I haven't seen yet. Worthless in areas with no radar coverage, like most of Mexico and wherever radar coverage drops (like below most peaks or ridges).

tim

Actually it provides info where there is no radar coverage. i believe all that is needed is a polling station, probably an airliner and then the responding transponder has to be in line of site.

No radar coverage around here because were are below 13,000' ridges but my Zaon works. The randomness is due to the wait for an airliner to poll the traffic.

I believe that having the ZAON is a worthwhile investment. As others have said, it is nicer when its wired to the Garmin GPS for display. Only quirk I noticed about it is that from time to time it would alert you to an aircraft right on top of you (out of the blue) and in fact it is detecting your own plane. The first couple of times this happens it can be a little unnerving which is why I mention it here. I have owned 2 ZAON XRX's and both seemed to have the same quirk. Having more "eyes" and "more methods" of detection is always better in my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived