Garmin 496 Updates?

207WF

It's very expensive to keep a Garmin aviation unit completely up to date.

I used to update the Aviation database before any long trip, @ about $50.

Now I do it annually. I also do Obstacles annually. I don't bother updating terrain since mountains move pretty slowly.

With my 496 usually expired, I count on my iPad or iPhone running WingXPro7 to get current information and sectional data.

I've got a nifty Blue Mountain Avionics EFIS that could be made current for a lot of money and I have a 496 that could be made current for a bit of money and I have a Nexus 7 that is current for $4.95/month.

I don't want to pay for all 3 all the time.

But I love the technology, even 4 years ago I was enveloped in forest fire smoke, in inadvertent IMC synthetic vision and terrain views meant that I could avoid the terrain and remain oriented.

I can't understand why a used 496 still sells for $800-900. It just seems like that $$$ could be spent better. I friend offered me "good deal" on a 496 to upgrade my 296, and i'm not sure I'd be willing to pay much at all.

Tim

Let me add that it is very nice to have weather, including a nearby altimeter setting, plus obstacles and terrain all in one spot on my panel.

All of this can be duplicated with an iPad, but the 496 with XM weather is still a nice package.

I can't understand why a used 496 still sells for $800-900. It just seems like that $$$ could be spent better. I friend offered me "good deal" on a 496 to upgrade my 296, and i'm not sure I'd be willing to pay much at all.

Tim

Without trying to substantiate my feeling, I am more confident that the 496 will be on when I need it than the iPad will, which seems to have a disconcerting habit of going TU at inopportune times. I wish the 496 had a bigger screen and more ergonomic functions. I suspect the iPad model will take over as it gets more reliable and capable. I have two 496's and have been thinking I should mount them both in the airplane, maybe one on the rod that holds the mag compass, and just put the 6 pack or CID page up there. Sometimes that old info is still quick and easy to use. :)

I've got a nifty Blue Mountain Avionics EFIS that could be made current for a lot of money and I have a 496 that could be made current for a bit of money and I have a Nexus 7 that is current for $4.95/month.

How do you like the Nexus in the cockpit, and where do you mount it? I have an iPad 3 and a Nexus 7. I'm not sure which form factor I'll prefer in flight...I guess I'll have to play with both. I like the smaller size of the Nexus, but the screen is not quite as bright and I'm a little worried about being able to see all the info I want on that smaller screen.

Without trying to substantiate my feeling, I am more confident that the 496 will be on when I need it than the iPad will, which seems to have a disconcerting habit of going TU at inopportune times. I wish the 496 had a bigger screen and more ergonomic functions. I suspect the iPad model will take over as it gets more reliable and capable. I have two 496's and have been thinking I should mount them both in the airplane, maybe one on the rod that holds the mag compass, and just put the 6 pack or CID page up there. Sometimes that old info is still quick and easy to use. :)

That is true, but given we are flying day VFR for the most part, how critical a problem is rebooting the iPad? just circle around until it comes back and be on your way. I think the 496 is great, especially for in-flight weather if you don't have an ADS-B receiver, and to drive an autopilot but for most use the tablet will be quicker and easier to read. If we were flying IFR I would have a different opinion, but then the 496 can't be officially used for that either.

Sunglass readers and the Nexus 7 on my knee work for me. I'm unwilling to mount it and disturb the view.

Makes sense. Mounting an iPad on the knee seems like it will interfere with full stick travel, so the Nexus might be better for that. The only thing I don't like about a kneeboard solution is the constant looking down instead of keeping eyes up with a mount of some kind.

...The only thing I don't like about a kneeboard solution is the constant looking down instead of keeping eyes up with a mount of some kind.

I have a large moving map on my EFIS and a 496. I have no reason to constantly look down, the thrill is gone.

post-6-0-58710900-1364068792_thumb.jpg

That is true, but given we are flying day VFR for the most part, how critical a problem is rebooting the iPad? just circle around until it comes back and be on your way. I think the 496 is great, especially for in-flight weather if you don't have an ADS-B receiver, and to drive an autopilot but for most use the tablet will be quicker and easier to read. If we were flying IFR I would have a different opinion, but then the 496 can't be officially used for that either.

Maybe I'm more used to the 496, but I prefer it in most cases. If I'm flying into/under Class B, any time spent booting anything makes me nervous. I have had the iPad go TU a couple of inopportune times. I fly a fair amount of unfamiliar country so reliability is a nice feature.

Day VFR does not mean CAVU. Sometimes weather is legal and safe but less than 10 and clear. Again, I like dependable gear.

Remember that there is a fleet LOA to go from a 496 to this.... (My old CTSW with the upgraded 696 in an airgizmo). And now of course, you can also go to the 796... The Garmin ADSB add on also adds free weather and ADSB traffic to the equation. In this particular bird I also added the GTX 330 Transponder so in todays world you can add TIS, ADSB, WX and XM all in the panel.

Also a fleet LOA to go to Dynon Skyview (7" or 10").

Many options to keep a CTSW or CTLS updated. When flying around with a Skyview, and a Garmin 796 (as CTLSi's are currently configured) I'm not sure what I'd use an ipad or other lap type device for.

All it takes is money... (and an understanding spouse who doesn't mind a little generic mac and cheese for a few months while you pay for it all). :D

post-124-0-90123600-1374275126_thumb.jpg

When flying around with a Skyview, and a Garmin 796 (as CTLSi's are currently configured) I'm not sure what I'd use an ipad or other lap type device for.

Adam,

My question, exactly. I am going to upgrade my experimental CTSW to dual 10" SkyView (I have the bigger mushroom to put them in). I have two Garmin 496's. I have an iPad1 with Foreflight.

I'd love to put a WAAS GPS in the panel but don't feel like spending that money. I'm looking to either fully integrate my 496's or upgrade to a better system. I use the iPad mostly for a sectional chart display.

I assume you have the SkyView. Do you get sectional display on it? Is it useful for scrolling around and informal in-flight info chasing or is an iPad still handy for that?

Here is a link to the Dynon features page for Skyview. It's extensive and getting longer all the time.

http://www.dynonavio...w_Features.html

In flight I had paper charts as a third string backup (new and folded neatly in the door pocket), I used the Garmin 796 for GPS Nav (Primary) and the Skyview Moving Map for backup (Secondary Nav). Both feed the autopilot and you can select back and forth which one is in use. I was using the Garmin 796 to program flight plans because I found its touch screen interface to be faster for programming versus the Skyview (joystick driven). Both work, the Dynon system has completely free database updates versus several hundred for the Garmin. I kept the Dynon updated, I was doing annual updates to the Garmin.

Both have moving maps, airport database directories, auto frequency feed capability to com. It's endless data, and redundant. Throw in the ADSB for traffic, weather, plus the TIS (if you have either the Dynon Transponder or a Garmin GTX330) add the xm weather (if no ADSB box) the synthetic vision and the only thing missing is a coffee bar and bathroom.

I was using the Dynon Moving Map for longer range info and traffic, the Garmin to monitor airspace and feed GPS to Nav.

A skyview equipped system just doesn't need external devices (at least not for anything I can think of).

If you are upgrading to a Dynon, I think I'd sell the two 496's on ebay and add a 796 panel mounted in its place.

In a few months Dynon will have the radio / intercom out, very quickly you will see CT's ship with a Dynon setup that looks just like a G-1000.

In case I didn't answer your specific question - Once you learn Skyview and get used to using it in flight, I think you'll slowly stop using the ipad for anything.

. . . "In flight I had paper charts as a third string backup (new and folded neatly in the door pocket), I used the Garmin 796 for GPS Nav (Primary) and the Skyview Moving Map for backup (Secondary Nav). . . . . . In a few months Dynon will have the radio / intercom out, very quickly you will see CT's ship with a Dynon setup that looks just like a G-1000." . . .

Outstanding post . . . very informative and a good overview of the system capabilities.

Thanks Adam.

Archived