New Google Nexus 7 announced

CT4ME

Google's 2nd Generation Nexus 7 has been announced, and will be in the stores within a week. On-line orders are being taken now.

Thinner, lighter, more powerful, better battery life, and better screen (323ppi screen beats iPad retina at 264ppi). Price is slightly higher ($229-$269).

The new Nexus 7 will also be available, unlocked, with a 4G LTE Internet connection (at $349).

The improvements will only solidify the Nexus 7 as a pilot favorite... along with the iPad.

Tim

I have the original N7 and it's fantastic. A slight price increase over the ridiculously cheap price is worth it for the new features. If Garmin will update the Pilot app to give it everything the iPad version has (plus extended centerlines PLEASE), this could be a real iPad competitor in the cockpit.

I need to get up to speed with the 7" tablets. I'm prepared to clear a spot on my panel for one. The Androids keep getting better and this latest Nexus tablet might be the one I finally buy. Is the buyer it expected to sign up for internet provider when purchasing one? I'm also wondering if I can eliminate my Garmin 495 if I go with a tablet and be able to still run my Trutrak auto pilot with something like the Stratus unit, or something like this? This stuff is complicated!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not looked, but cnet.com does a lot of review stuff, not just the video above. This'd is the first time I remember an Apple product being so profoundly behind. A sign of things to come, especially with Jobs no longer at the creative helm?

I wish Anywheremap had a free trial. I would like to compare it to Avilution's Aviation Maps that I have been using for about a year and a half. I am not willing to spend the $50 just to try it out - even though the screens look impressive.

• 1 month later...

I can't make a comparison, have only used AWM. I do, however, like several things; lifetime subscriptions (10 years free so far after a one time charge), the "virtual glide slope" (3 deg glide slope looks like ILS for any runway in the database, and the "cones of safety" (glide range to all airports on the screen based on your claimed glide ratio and current GPS altitude). Interface may be less than ideal, but for me, very familiar and besides, for me 'ignorance is bliss'. Not promoting, just relating where I am. At 82 years of age, change comes slowly.

I'll check it out, but I won't be using anything in the cockpit except as a backup so my needs may be different. My 696 is primary, Skyview as backup, then phone and tablet if I have serious problems. Oh, and I carry paper charts too. If I don't know where I am, I am probably not in my plane.

Archived