Marvel Mystery Oil

Rich

Good afternoon,

As a solvent to help keep engines clean, has anyone used this product as a fuel additive?

If so, have you had the opportunity to see the results?

Would there be any harm in using it for the 912ULS?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Marvel has been around for decades (since 1923) and its secret formula and reputation hype rivaled the great Pyramids. Many people without any scientific evidence swore by it. Since then you can do a web search and find some of the ingredients. Really nothing more than a blend of everyday oils, solvents and other products. I wouldn't use it in our engine. It does contain solvents. Not that I believe it would cause any severe damage it's just a waist of time and money and may cause dirt and grime to collect in areas where straight fuel wouldn't cause this. It is a product of Turtle Wax.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copy and paste from another site:

"Keep in mind that MMO was created in 1923, long before low sulphur diesel fuel was even a concept. Its purpose was to promote clean carburetors and fuel systems, which was a not-insignificant problem back then due to the inconsistent refining processes used. Conceived as an engine system cleaner (solvent) its purpose seems to have morphed more recently*into that of a fuel lubricity additive, which may explain its poor showing in the lubricity comparison quoted in a previous post if the solvent ingredients have remained unchanged. Promotional material about the product implies that it's "mysterious" formula is still the same.

So it seems a bit odd to me that one would want to use a chemical mixture that was designed to remove petroleum-based sludge and deposits as something to promote the the lubrication of components by petroleum-based fuel. You'd think it would be thinning out and removing the lubrication properties of the fuel, not adding to them. "

Resuming my post: This post is from studies of MMO,

Marvel Mystery Oil will not hurt your engine. Conversely, it will not help it. If motor oil could be improved upon by some secret additive, one of the major oil companies would be using it in their products. It would give them a great market advantage. Unfortunately, no such mystery oil or ingredient exists. Marvel Mystery Oil is a great product to use when building an engine to clean and lubricate the parts during assembly.

It might have been better 50-80 years ago when we had mineral based oils, not as good fuels and completely different engines and components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AMarvel_Mystery_Oil

Archived